Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

considering kfx 80 or honda 90

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering kfx 80 or honda 90

I have an eight year-old chomping at the bit for a mini. I'm not very familiar with two-strokes, so I guess honda gets the nod there. I don't like the thought of my daughter having to shift, so kfx gets the nod there. My biggest concern with the kfx is engine braking. What can you guys tell me about that?

Old 11-08-2003, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got both. (Well, the LT80 is the same as the KFX80)

If the rider is unskilled and on the smaller side or if the use will be limited to a "yard bike" - the KFX80 will be easier to use. More kid friendly = more happy kid.

If you want a kids bike to go riding on trails, the TRX 90 is a far better choice.

My six year old (brand new rider) and my 10 year old (infrequent and unskilled rider) take turns on the LT80. The six year old is too small for the Honda and cannot shift. The ten year old can and has driven the Honda, but is unskilled in shifting and feels uncomfortable with driving the Honda. He is getting quite compentent on the LT80, is having much more fun with it and his driving skills are increasing rapidly. Fairly soon he will be skilled enough to safely ride the TRX90 on trails. My eleven year old (very skilled) uses the TRX90. He's a little large for the LT80. He is ready to move up (He already prefers his mom's Ozark).

LT/KFX80 pros:

Easy to start electric start.
Quick warm up time, easy choke access on carb.
No shifting

LT/KFX80 cons:

CVT means it has no engine braking (This is only a problem on trails)
Smaller size so kids outgrow if faster.
Right hand lever = front brakes, Right foot pedal = rear brakes (Not really a problem)

TRX90 pros:

4-stroke = better low end power.
larger size
Right hand lever = front brakes, Left hand lever = rear brakes, Right foot pedal = rear brake (just like an adult quad)
4-Speed auto clutch gives you engine braking.

TRX90 cons:

Pull start only (Although being Honda it usually hits on the first few pulls). Some kids cannot start it on their own.
VERY cold natured - TRX90 takes several minutes of throttle & choke playing to warm up. Plus, choke is in a sucky location on carb.

Both the LT/KFX80 and TRX90 are proven and reliable quads. While their style is from the 80's IMO they are still the top two mini's out there. The TRX runs about $200 more than the LT/KFX. Both hold their value. I would put your daughter on each of them and see how she fits first. If she is looking too large for the KFX, then that answers your question right away - Kids can always learn to shift but they don't grow any smaller. Also keep in mind that by the RECOMMENDATIONS of the manufactures, some dealers will not sell either of these quads to you if they know that it will be ridden by an eight year old. All they will be allowed to put her on will be a 50. So you may want to let her test-sit at your second favorite dealer then go to your favorite to buy without your daughter. (Kinda stupid, isn't it?, Ya gotta love liability issues)

Jaybee

Old 11-09-2003, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Jaybee. Does anyone know if there are any other brands that are fully auto with engine braking capability?

Old 11-09-2003, 05:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Now that was one class act reply jaybeecon55 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and mighty accurate!
As far as engine braking, that's something that you won't find in any mini that I know of, and I feel that most the brake systems work far well ehough.It isn't like trying to stop a 500# machine (unless I'm on the LT...hehehe) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-09-2003, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

The weight is a good point LT, just makes me a little uncomfortable to think she could "free wheel" down a hill. Of course, I would be riding with her at all times on trails and could assist down any hills. We have two local dirt drags that run 200 ft. They run everything from mini's up. I would like to take my V come spring and thought it might be fun to let her run in the kiddie class. The fully auto LT/kfx appears to be a solid choice. She kinda has her heart set on the red LT right now. I have never owned a two-stroke of any kind, or even a chain drive for that matter. I suppose weighing all the pros and cons at this point, the LT is in the lead. It should be more consistent if she can catch on at the "tree". What am I saying? She'll probably do better than Dad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-09-2003, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you LT.

Bigcreek, how your daughter plans to use this quad is the best way to choose between the Honda or Suzuki/Kawasaki. I am strictly a trail rider. I run virtually stock quads and like to go for miles and miles out in the middle of nowhere. I have three sons, two kids quads, and am enjoying getting them into the sport. The engine braking thing is a minor point for mini's. No automatic mini has EB, and by defination, all auto clutch manuals do have engine braking through the transmission. The stock brakes on most mini's, and especially good ones like the LT or TRX, will be just fine UNTIL you get the little suckers into mud. Once that happens the lightly sealed drum brakes on mini's do a great job of holding a pint of slime around the brake shoes. This is one of the two places on the trail where the TRX will out perform the LT/KFX (the other being more low end for slow trail crawling over rocks and stuff). Once my boys find a mud hole (and durned if I know any way to keep them out of it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]), both will loose almost all of their brakes but the TRX can still be slowed with gears. Since our last ride, I've decided to try running the Honda with it's rear brake drain plug out, and have drilled a small hole up on the inner brake housing so I can spray some brake cleaning fluid directly on the shoes. We'll see if that helps. In the meantime, I'll repeat my plea from another post for anyone who may have a clue if it's possible to adapt an LT80 or TRX90 to have a rear disc brake.

And that was a long winded way of saying why the TRX90 is a better trail bike than the LT/KFX80.

Now, if you're really planning on racing then the choice is just as clear - go with the LT/KFX. You'll get more out of a little 2-stroke and there are way more mods available for the LT than the TRX. You'll notice a fair amount of posts about racing LT80's and not so many about the TRX90. There's a reaason for that.

Jaybee

Old 11-09-2003, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

Great info jaybee![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

My sons have an lt80 and an Yahama Badger, and free wheeling down hills is a major concern with all the hills and hollers thats around here. Both of my sons have been riding for about 2 years and I started them both out on the Badger. Trust me, even if your with them, free wheeling can be, and is, very nerve racking on both the parent and child. Worst cases are when they start to go faster than what you would like and then slide the rear whith the brakes, and start getting alittle crossed up. (can you say face plant!) Front brakes can be forgotten in panic situations. I try to stay in front of my kids going down steep hills and we have praticed letting them slide into my rear tires to stop. The gear shifter quad is usually not as much of an issue as long as they leave the shifter alone. Anymore, my sons have become pretty good riders and theres not to many hills they can"t desend, but it took awhile to learn.
Autos are nice, and my sons both perfer not to shift, BUT, I don't believe that they should be real easy to ride. To many kids get quads, and never really learn to ride and parents wonder why they get hurt! (or worse!) Sorry! I'll put the soap box up know!

Old 11-10-2003, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

I can't see putting her in any really bad terrain, nevertheless I thought this may be of some concern. I guess I will further debate after letting her ride both. I think the auto will be much better for drag racing. I anticipate her riding mostly around the house, with a little drag racing at the track + heavily supervised trail rides. The 80 will probably work out, I guess I will worry myself sick no matter what.