Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

87 lt80 help

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 lt80 help

Hi everyone just looking for a little help here.I just purchased a 87 lt80 for my daughter seems to run just fine but has no low end torque once it gets going it really hauls but getting it to go from a dead stop or up a hill from a stop is pretty tough. it just kinda chugs like it is slipping?The belt was pretty chewed up so I put new one on thinking that that might help but it did not.The last kids who owned it used the heck out of it.I hope it is nothing to major. Does it just need a new clutch or what.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

Old 12-14-2003, 10:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 87 lt80 help

I'd start with checking the rollers in the front clutch.They get flat spots.

Old 12-15-2003, 12:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 87 lt80 help

Thanks lt80 pro rider.I've got the clutch cover and the fixed drive face off but how do I get the rest of the pully out or open?Also the face of the pully has wear grooves is this a concern?Just a rookie trying to work on his daughters quad.Thanks for your help.

Old 12-15-2003, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 87 lt80 help

Keep in touch with LT80, he's a great guy, and should write a book for all the people out there with LT80 questions/problems. It just so happens I started my son out on an 87 LT80, that also needed a lot of work. it was the same way,real dog on the bottom,ran good on top. As LT80 said, my front rollers were trash, half flattened off. Once you get the front pulley off, 3 screws hold it together, the rollers are inside there. You can buy new ones, I just turned new plastic sleeves for mine on a lathe, use some Delrin round stock from work. Don't put them all back, just put 4 back in, that will raise clutch engagement, and make it launch a lot better. I ran with 3 for years with no problems, but I hear a lot prefer 4. The back pulley,you may need an impact to loosen the nut, take it apart, sand and clean all surfaces before reassembly, and check the groove in the driven sheave where the pins travel, mine were all full of dirt and gunk, not letting the back pulley open up on slow speed, so I had no bottem end, that's why it ran ok on top end, it needs to ride up on the pulley for top speed anyway. After cleaning out the gunk,lightly lubing the sealed slide shaft in the rear sheave, and rebuilding/leaving out rollers in the front, the little bugger would spin the tires from a dead stop, and with a little yank on the bars, would pull the front end up a little. Hill climbs for him were a blast, it would stay in low range better and rev and spin the tires all the way up the hill !! It's been a few years since that quad's been around, my son now rides a 300ex, but it still makes him smile to talk about all the rides he went on with it.
About the grooves, that can be bad. if they can't be sanded smooth, you may need new sheave plates,or find a used one. grooves accelerate belt wear, and it can make it hang up in a certain position, limiting performance.

Old 12-16-2003, 09:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default 87 lt80 help

The clutch should pull right off.Sometimes they are tight.Sometimes the keyway gets smashed from not being in the right position when the clutch is tightened.But it should come off.

Old 12-17-2003, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 87 lt80 help

Ok guys thanks for the advise.I got the clutch out of the front and took it apart and it was totally full of gunk and the rollers were not able to move hardly at all.They were not flattened but the drive face is pretty worn and grooved.I'm going to order a new drive face plate and some rollers and was just wondering what kind of lube I need to use inside this thing for the rollers because whatever was there
before I'm not able to classify?Thanks again.gmman

Old 12-18-2003, 10:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default 87 lt80 help

I use a high temp grease. Most any will do [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]