Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT50, LT80, or TRX 90 for Christmas??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT50, LT80, or TRX 90 for Christmas??

I have a kfx50 for my son. He weighs about 38 lbs or so. It is small, but, it fits him really well. I would have rather got a kfx80, but, they are to big for him and they do skoot along pretty well. The suspension on the 50 isn't much, but, it is more than enough for the learning stages of a first time rider. Also,the exhaust restrictor has to be removed on the 50 or it has zero power at all.

Old 12-16-2003, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

Cat500i
I'd wait one more year and then get him the LT80. My son was 5 when he got his and never really understood the power (Even Turned down) for at least 7-8 Months. WHat ever you do don't get the 50 of any brand. You will have wasted the purchse price of the bike. If you do decide to get the LT80, the absolute first thing you need to do is get a set of these from Cory. He has great customer service. http://www.crjperformance.com/5xtenders22.html

This bike is and most are a little tippy from the factory. These eliminate the problem all together. Easy to install and are stronger than heck. I even ride the heck out the bike now and I'm 180 pounds. It actually looks cool as well. The bike will have MORE than enough power for your son for YEARS of riding and when you need more there are plenty of hopups you can do. Also when your done building it the way you want it you'll have a great hand me down bike for another child. The LT80 WILL go the distance.
Jarrett

Old 12-17-2003, 01:18 AM
Trailblazer

I'd have to disagree that the child should be 5. Mine got his LTA50 for his 3rd birthday, and there certainly was a learning curve to overcome. IMO take it on a case-by-case basis, considering both the child and the parent; both are going to be doing some learning.

Old 12-17-2003, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry but generally 3 and 4 and some 5 year olds haven't a clue of the risks they are taking riding the little monsters. THere is a Night and day difference between the 50cc and the 80-90cc class. I stand by my earlier statments no matter how responsible your little may SEEM! There really is a reason why they have the age limits on the little bikes. Always error on saftey.
Jarrett

Old 12-17-2003, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer

With the help of this board I just purchased my "just turned 5" son a E-ton 50

I almost went to a 90 based on some of the opinios on this board, and the fact that I didnt want to waste money, or have him outgrow it...

I can tell you that I am glad that as fate would have it we found a brand new 50 to chaep to pass up..

now. he just turned 5 weighs 40 pounds, we have it limited all it can go, and well.....its almost TOO fast..... it wount be in a few years, but he can barely keep both feet on the floor, if I had gone to the 90, his feet would not reach the floor , and now as I watch him whip thru mud puddles, try to jump, and do donughts, well.............

I am GLAD I got the 50, we can upgrade later.....but for now...this is the proper size for him, anything else would have been iffy.... Idont regret buying the 50 at all........ its just right..
and I can sleep better knowing that there are several ways to make it faster.......LATER...WAY later.......<grin>

I suggest you look at the e-ton 50...............IMH (inexperienced) O
in this case...... size DOES matter...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] <wink>
DEb

Old 12-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

triplejfarm,
One of the thing I like about the LT80 is it is a "Smaller Framed" bike. Way smaller than say the honds 90. Uncorked it has more power. But you know your child and that's all that matters. Even if it cost you more your still better off erroring to the safe side. Good work.
Jarrett

Old 12-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

Jarsong,
You seem to be implying that there is no need for the 50cc machines, in that the kids should be at least 5, and that the 50cc machines should just be skipped. I'm not the only one that would disagree, and have plenty of evidence to support my position. Certainly not every kid matures at the same rate, and it would be foolhardy for anyone to make a blanket statement that at a specific age an individual "suddenly becomes competent". Thousands of kids began riding PW and JR50's at 3-4 years old.

My son was in his first motocross race at 4, he'd been riding for over a year, and was well aware of the risks involved in riding. We live in the trees, and he's certainly smacked his share of them. Certainly there are kids at the other end of the spectrum, not being ready to ride until they're 6-7 years old.

As for the age limits imposed by the CPSC, get real.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] These are the same idiots that decided a child needs to be 16 to ride anything larger than a 90. Their involvement in ATV's came about for political reasons, and have nothing to do with common sense. As a parent, you and I have the ultimate responsibility for our children, not the government.

Old 12-17-2003, 01:38 PM
Trailblazer

To answer your question about the predator 50 being garbage....thats what owners have been saying. If you do a search on this forum you will see how upset some are with that model.

As far as size 50 or 90. Get your lil' one on a few and see. If your kid is on the smaller size I would say go with the 50. I think it's better to be safe than sorry. The Scrambler 50 is a good bike... lt50 not to much info for me to comment on. Eton 50, kasea 50 sounds to be pretty good bikes also. There is a guy on here that has his daughter racing a 50 ( I just cannot remember the name...Sorry) he has alot of mods done to her bike and from what I understand her bike flies. I had a friend who got the lt50 and got rid of it about 3 months later...not to much to pump it up. That's what I got from him.

PLEASE make sure your kid can get at all the safety gear. Just because they are growing don't put them on something to big for them. The resale on these mini's is pretty good so when it comes time to go bigger you will have a good chunk of change to help out.

just my .02 and then some.

Goodluck

Old 12-17-2003, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer

MattFisher,
Your missing the point or I'm not stating it clearly enough. Most people that buy these little machines for there little ones think of it an an investment. If you have the money to burn by all means spend the money on the 50cc or do what ever you want. See, most people base this stuff on SIZE and not responsibly levels. 3,4,5 year olds are generally irresponsible by NATURE and have no fear.

THis is from the CSPC not me:
Children under 12 years of age should not operate any ATV. This is because typically they lack adequate physical size and strength, cognitive abilities, motor skills and perception to operate a motor vehicle safety. ATVs are difficult to ride and require constant attention to avoid accidents

While I don't agree with the 12 year old statement above a lot of this is true for 3,4,5 year olds. EVERY kid I've ridden with that is under 6 has done multiple things stupid that COULD have easly injured them if the adult weren't riding with them weren't paying VERY close attention.

In our riding area we have went as far as seperating the tracks for the young ones and adults. I can't find the statistic right now, but something like 90% of bike accident from the 12 and under crowd were because of the wrong size bike. Of those injuries 50% could have been avoinded by wearing protective gear.

So to end this for me. If you have extra money to burn buy a 50cc. But just expect to spend another $2500 in a year or two for an 80-90cc. Your choice.
Jarrett

Old 12-17-2003, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer

Statistics....
http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foi...f/deathatv.pdf

Quick Reply: LT50, LT80, or TRX 90 for Christmas??