Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Wheel spacer advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel spacer advice wanted

I'm looking at getting wheel spacers for a Raptor 80, and LT80. Those of you that have done this..., Did you only bother doing the rear wheels? Is the the 3" set good enough? I can find them for the LT80, but not the raptor 80. Anyone know where to get them for the Raptor 80?

Thanks for any help.

Old 01-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On our lt80 we run the 2.5'' Durablue wheel spacers on the front, on the back we just run the durablue axle w/no spacers on the back.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If you are only going to widen the front or rear, you widen the front.
I make spacers out of 1" round aluminum. Simple and cheap (if ya have a buddy with a lathe) and long bolts. Been running them for years trouble free.

Old 01-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

LT80, how long do make your spacers? Can I drill out 1" aluminum on the drill press? Do you thread them to go over the bolts? How long of a bolt do you use? Do you know the thread/pitch? Your way sounds better, because checking out these websites, I'm a little surprised they want what works out to $20 Cdn per spacer. That's 5 cents for material, and alot for R &D & marketing!!

Old 01-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

LT80, I see what you're saying about IF you only widen the front or back, but do you generally do both, or the front only?
Thanks for your help.

Old 01-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

The length of bolt depends on the width you make the spacer (a 3" bolt would be used for 2 1/4" spacers). I do not thread the spacer, I knock out the stud and put the bolt through the hub where the stud was.I simply use a 3/8 bolt. I do prefer to have it be fine thread tho.
Drill press may work if your patient,the holes don't have to be perfectly centered. But they do need to be straight.
Exact length on each one is essential tho! I make mine to .001 tolerance.

Old 01-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

We run like FastFreddy, front spacers and a durablue axel. The axels are +4.
You can run rear spacers, but it depends on what you doing with it. I wouldn't run rear spacers if you are jumping/MX. I've seen the stock axels snap like twigs at stock width when abused.
Yes it's best to do both front and rear, but if $ is short, do the front.
On the rear, you can gain some width by turning the wheels around. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

Great, thanks. We do trails, mud, hills, the odd jump...nothing too serious, more recreational. I noticed my son did a fast u-turn on the Honda 90, and it flipped onto the side, freaked him out more than hurt him. Maybe it's good they learn these things have limits, but a little help from the spacers wouldn't hurt either. I think I'll do the fronts, and flip the rear wheels like you suggested.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that you can swap the wheels around and gain 3" on the LT80. Put the left front wheel on the right front and the right front on the left. You can do the same for the rear and it doesn't cost you anything. Just food for thought.

Old 01-03-2004, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

I would have thought the fronts are symmetrical, as are the rears, so changing from side to side wouldn't make any difference. I think you'd actually have to turn them to face in, to change the off-set. But, I'll check and see. It'll be awhile though, as I'm putting the cart before the horse a little. I'm selling my Honda90, and I'm going to get the LT80. As soon as I check, I'll let you know.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacer advice wanted