Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

she wont wear a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default she wont wear a helmet

Rider magazine just had an article about motorcycle lids. They said thet the new light weight mountain biking helmets may be better than the regular lids. They questioned the snell and dot testing methods.

Aren't there different helmet standards in Europe?

Do you wear yours all the time or is she wanting to be like daddy?

BTW, I may have asked you this earlier but is preston any where near Grantham? My daughter is going to school there.

Old 02-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

Do what Nancy Reagan says " Just say no!" LOL

Old 02-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may not be popular but:

Two years old! Three years old! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!

I'm sorry but put them on a battery powered ATV where they belong. Unless you have an exceptionally gifted, large, physically advanced child, a two or three year old does not have the co-ordination or strength to safely handle a gas quad. Yeah, I know you can back the throttle way down so they really don't use it and walk beside them to help them steer but they would be much better off with a battery ATV to develop those skills. Some things can't be rushed - put the gas quad away for a couple of years at least.

Jaybee

Old 02-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

hey eiger,

i think Grantham is somewhere down south, i live up north, ive heard of the place but ive never been there,

and yes there are different testing standards in Europe i know we in the uk have also had our own not sure if we still do or whether weve now adopted the eu standards

im not sure how good batery operated Quads are in the Usa but there prety lame in the uk and i wouldnt waste my money on one, i apreciate what your saying about her young age but it also works in her favour as she just wants to ride a quad and its not like shes gona be demanding i give her a little more throttle cos she wants more speed, there verry easily pleased at 2 years old,

As for me i lead by example, ive had several incidents on road bikes and the only reason im here to discuss this thread is because i wear the apropriate safty wear,

in fact i wont even ride of road or the beach without boots gloves armour knee pads and goggles,

infact its almost like theres a guardian angel watching over me, cos the one time i had forgot to put my knee pads on and thought "oh well ill be ok"

i tried to start the zilla and it kicked back with such a force my knee ended up bashing the thumb throttle and i had a limp for the rest of the day to remind me not to be lazy in the future,LOL

i dread to think how i could have been reminded if i had electric start, haha

Old 02-15-2004, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

No helmet no bike sell the bike period.

Old 02-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

She see you wear it all the time and she doesn't want to follow her daddy's lead? then she isn't mature enuf to follow any of the directions you give her. I'm sorry to say, she aint ready.

Old 02-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I've told the story about me putting my voungest on a 90 and he wasn't ready for it. I got him a 50 and it was great. he was 5 then.I agree with some that 2 is just too young.GOD love ya for the intention,but I think the battery option is the way to go till she gets older.I personally think she will not be as intimidated on a battery model and you will feel better about her wearing a bicycle helmet on the battery model. She then will be used to a helmet for when she's ready for the 50.
FYI: My daughter wore out battery after battery in hers, now she is the worlds fastest woman quad racer!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
My 2 cents.. Gidday [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

Ditto on that lt80....

Old 02-16-2004, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

it doesnt seem to be a statement of defiance or imaturity, she genuinly has a hangup about a helmet covering her whole head shes desperate to get riding and i know there must be some sort of real fear there,

it has never been my intention nor has it ever been an option for her to ride without a helmet, i just know the issue is causing her a little distress cos she knows i wont let her ride,

its never been a case of helmet or no helmet i just wanted a little advise on how to tackle the situaton and also bring forward the idea of maybee letting her get used to a helmet in a less intimidating way by letting her wear a cycling/montain biking type helmet,

like i say theres definitly a real pproblem for her and i just dont see that time will be the cure or that it is her age so im just looking for a viable way of helping her overcome whatever it is that bothers her,

it doesnt bother me that ive shelled out cash on a quad that isnt being used, what i dont like is that my daughter has a problem and is unable to comunicate it in a way so i am able to help her over come her problems what ever they may be,

thanks for everyones input ive got pleanty to work at, if i can get her in a helmet and get her riding then maybee ill be able to see the wisdom in what many of you are saying regarding her being to young and belive me ill be happy to come on here and tell you all that in this case you were right cos if anything your opinions will be on my mind and certainly will be given considertion,

i will let you know how things go as were planning a trip to the beach this week while the kids are on school holidays,

Old 02-16-2004, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: jaybeecon55
This may not be popular but:

Two years old! Three years old! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!

I'm sorry but put them on a battery powered ATV where they belong. Unless you have an exceptionally gifted, large, physically advanced child, a two or three year old does not have the co-ordination or strength to safely handle a gas quad. Yeah, I know you can back the throttle way down so they really don't use it and walk beside them to help them steer but they would be much better off with a battery ATV to develop those skills. Some things can't be rushed - put the gas quad away for a couple of years at least.

Jaybee
I agree... The parents want their kids to have the quads more that the kids want the quads.... Can your 2 year old even speak a sentence yet??? I mean get fricken real dude, 2 on a quad???? I bought mine the LT80 when he was 5, should have waited till he was at least 6. It's stuff like this that hurts the sport, sport....
jarsong

Quick Reply: she wont wear a helmet