Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

looking to get kids involved

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to get kids involved

Hey,

Whats a good age to get my girls started and what sort of circuits are available in Michigan

Old 03-23-2004, 07:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What age to put a kid on a quad all depends on your (and your wife's) comfort level. Same say age 5 is a good starting point, and others say 9. Some even say AFTER their teenage years. It all depends how "emotionally" mature the kid is and how you feel they can control a quad.

For racing in your area, you may want to perform a few "ATV Racing" searches within www.yahoo.com After you find a few race tracks in your area, visit those tracks, try to wiggle your way into their pit area and see what most of the riders are driving. For example, stock 50s, stock 90s, certain brands, certain mods, etc. If a few owner are willing to talk about their minis, ask what unique mods they have under their hoods, etc. By knowing what they ride on the track, you'll be able to purchase the same "racing quality" of mini for your kid.

For now, I would suggest you let your kid drive their future "racing quality" of mini around your house and on your local trails. If they show great interest in racing, then "support them" to the next step. Some kids don't want to perform full competiation racing AFTER they've drove their new quad on the trails for a while. Others can't wait to "hit the racing track". As a suggestion, try NOT to push your kid into full competiation racing. We're here to support them at their own pace.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-25-2004, 01:21 AM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I am the wife..

Thanks for the advice....we both ride and I was thinking about getting them started pretty early.....I will take a look at yahoo

I think I have a while they are both still in diapers yet.

Old 03-25-2004, 09:08 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start them out as soon as they are able to reach and operate the controls on a mini. That is, providing they have enough judgement not to do anything foolish! My kids were ~5 when they started, and everything worked out pretty well. All the little bikes have throtle limiters, so you can keep them at a safe speed while they learn.

Put as much safety gear on them as you can! Minimum is helmet, goggles, gloves, and a chest protector. Once they are older and testing their limits more, I would add boots and knee and elbow pads.

Old 03-25-2004, 03:43 PM
Range Rover

My ladyfriends daughter got her first quad at 5 or 6. I gave her a new Yamaha Breeze last year at age 9. She can now ride well enough to go on long trail rides and keep up, no one has to stay in camp to babysit.

Old 03-25-2004, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

If they are really in diapers start them out on electric toys when they are two or three.My son had a tiny little electric 4 wheeler when he was 3.Then we got him an electric 6volt powered big foot monster truck.This taught him how to drive and also control as it had a foot throttle and reverse.He also had a pedal car which helped him learn to steer.When he was 5 1/2 we got the Viper and he was a natural on it.