Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Helmets for kids program

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets for kids program

Hey everyone, as some of you may know, old Dragginbutt has a couple of soapboxes he likes to climb on top of from time to time. the one most dear to my heart is the subject of helmets for kids. I have suggested in other threads that people drag out an old helmet that is gathering dust because you outgrew it, or bought a different color ATV etc... and give it to someone you run accross that is not wearing one. I have also been involved with the rider awareness training course that the manufacturers are supporting and the way they deny the safety course to a kid if they do not fall within their safety guidelines in regards to age/cc of machine.

I would like to suggest the program be modified to give parents a choice between taking the safety course (and collecting the hundred bucks they offer to take it) and putting that $ towards a helmet for the kid. A secondary to that would be for the factories to include a free helmet with every new purchase.

Now both are good ideas, but I don't know if anyone else would think it is an idea that has merit... so here goes. Let me know what you think, and more importantly, give me some ideas on how to organize this issue so that it gets national exposure. I am real good at coming up with ideas, but short on knowing how to get this idea rolling, or how to involve the right people that can make it happen. So I leave it up you guys and gals out there.

I remember how M.A.D.D. got started... this should be on everyone's list of things to do....

Any takers?

Dragginbutt

Old 03-31-2004, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets for kids program

That is a great suggestion and a very thoughtful one. I know Polaris was giving helmets, and an instructional video out with the purchase of a youth atv. I will paste your post to some of the other forums and just maybe it will help.

Very good thinking!!!!

justinsmom