Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kids riding in public ride areas - age questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids riding in public ride areas - age questions

My kids have been riding for a couple of years now (3 to be exact) and are very good riders for their age. They are wanting to go ride at some of the out of state ride areas that are near us. Mostly in Ky, and Tn. Has anyone had problems of places like this not letting kids ride? My kids both would be riding thier 80's, while my youngest son is 8 and my oldest son is 10. I've looked on some web sites, and most are just a little confusing about if they could or not. I've been to these places, and seen little kids riding bikes, but no quads. I know that if we got on the trails, no one would question us, but my luck is, if we got down there they would not let my kids ride. I know I could call and get the runaround, but I wondered if anyone has allready been through this?

Thanks!!

Old 03-31-2004, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

My kids and nephews have rode out at Land Between the Lakes Ky on their 4
wheelers and we've not had any problems.. We stayed on the trails and out of
the no riding area's.. We've not tryed any other places other than private land...

Old 03-31-2004, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no age/cc restrictions in Tennessee, except perhaps a few small ATV tracks.

Jaybee

Old 03-31-2004, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

How is the LBL riding area? Turkey Bay I think they call it. The website says 12 & up for the 90cc ATV, my son just got a 90cc but he is 7. It fits him well, but I am worried they would enforce this rule. The lbl website says it is Kentuky state law.

Please let me know.

Old 04-14-2004, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

It's hard to say, because there are so many different authorities involved. First check with the state and find out their regulations. (They vary) Next, determine if it is a private or public riding area, and if permits are required... third, call the riding area and ask...

It is impossible to tell how a rule is going to be enforced. I see a lot of kids out there.. but some places restrict them. I know in some areas of Virginia, nobody under 12 can ride period...

Old 04-16-2004, 12:44 PM
Range Rover

HMMM lets if you have to fill out a form say yours sons are 12

Old 05-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

well... he is big for his age, but I doubt I could pass him off as 12...

Old 05-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The age, size of engine and public riding question again....

Some places are very "legally strict" and some are "safety smart" with mini-quads. If your "young rider" is on an over sized quad (re: 9 year old on a 90cc ), the authorities who patrol that place may "lay a brick" if they catch you, or they may give you "their thumbs up".

If wondering, my son is 9. He's the body size of many 12 year olds. We got surprise inspected twice on some trails. First questions were "proof of ownership, insurance and licence". Since my son doesn't have a license, they gave him an "on the spot competant test". Very interesting indepth test of grabbing all the controls while blind folded, pertend body postering for corners & hills, etc. etc. At the end of each inspection, the cops let us go - and gave us their thumbs up. Why? Because they know if my 125 (135 lbs with equipment on) son was driving a 50cc engine "as per legal laws", my son would immediately hurt himself. Yes, top end heavy, cramped knees, increase risk of front / back roll overs on the hills, etc.

If wondering, our cops really do hide in the bushes. They run out of the bushes when they don't like what they see coming down the trail, or they want to inspect a new brand of quad. The one cop inspected my son's Pred-90 really good. He was thinking about getting this brand of mini for his 7 year old son. With his physical body mass, I'm sure his kid is the size of most 12 year olds too.

Anyway, check with the authorities who patrol the area you plan to ride in. Some of these folks are "strict legal law" folks and some are "safety common sence" folks.

Hope this helps...

Old 05-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

It really depens state by state... some states make it law, others refer to the "guidelines", but you never know how it will be enforced.. A lot will depend on how they are riding and if they are supervised. I see Wisconsin just changed their LAW, and make it mandatory for kids12-16 to take a safety course... no certificate, no ride in Wisconsin... Unless on a farm doing farm chores, or on your own property.