Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 Getting Hot?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 Getting Hot?

I have a 1999 LT80 that I pieced together quickly last week so that my 9 year old son could race on Friday. I had to use the engine out of his 5 yr old brothers LT80 as I am having his rebuilt right now.....And the 5yr olds is still not put together yet.....But that's another story. When I went to put this all together I had everything that I needed but the top cooling shourd which covers the cylinder and head and fan. I didn't think that this would pose much problem. But I think it is a problem? After about 2 to 2-1/2 laps, the thing would just die. I found that the circuit breaker mounted under the rear fender had popped. I am wondering if this breaker can pop as a result of it overheating? And then when it pops it kills the engine??? Any thoughts? I ordered the shroud in hopes that it woulds remedy the problem. I guess I'll see on Friday!!

Old 05-17-2004, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not sure about why the relay popped. However, the cover missing will definitely cause overheating problems. Being an air-cooled engine, all that plumbing and all those covers were engineered for a reason. And, NO, that reason is not to give us headaches when working on them! hehe...

I have heard of other people having overheating problems when they did not use all the covers and ducting. This is definitely contributing, if not the root problem to your machines overheating.

Old 05-18-2004, 11:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

To give an example of the engineering that went into the air flows: The rubber tube that comes from the motor cover (left side), this attaches to a plastic piece that runns up to the frame and foreward, then down...When on the dyno, we disconnected that tube. We LOST 1/2 HP.
I don't kniow about that breaker either, but yes you sure do need the motor cover. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-18-2004, 12:03 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Jack and ElTee8ee for the feedback......

I will certainly be putting that cover in place.

Does anyone know anything about that breaker? I know it will pop if you get the starter too hot. But that's the extent of what I know.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]