Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

1st time buyer

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time buyer

My 11 year old wants his 1st quad, I noticed alot of off brand names out there....e-ton, yamoto, sundiro, etc. any advice? I have around two grand to spend. thanx:[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2004, 09:18 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default 1st time buyer

it may be wise to buy him a used Yamaha Blaster at his age.

something he can grow into

Old 06-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default 1st time buyer

Any name brand atv - well maintained and undamaged - holds considerable value. My daughters Honda is still like new and on our 2nd season and would recover 80% or better of its original cost. Her previous Polaris 90 sportsman sold after 3 years for 70% of original cost.

Honda, Polaris, Cat etc etc. The china cheap quads do not hold value as well because parts are not as readily available - IMO.

Old 06-27-2004, 10:42 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st time buyer

Originally posted by: WhoDatInDaMud
The china cheap quads do not hold value as well because parts are not as readily available - IMO.
Some have parts available. Some don't. Eton and Kasea/LRX have a ton of aftermarket parts. So do some of the others if you know what to look for. When you compare features, these "cheap China" quads have a lot to offer. If you don't mind giving up some dealer support, you really can save money.

I paid half what I would have for a Polaris.

miniatvs.com sells quads and parts. Check it out.

Old 06-27-2004, 11:32 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default 1st time buyer

Honda 90 if they are small. Suzuki LT160 for an in between machine. Honda 250EX/Recon if they are big for their age, or a Blaster if they can handle a full manual clutch. You will have to get a used one at your price range.

Avoid all the brands you mentioned!

Old 06-28-2004, 12:00 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Default 1st time buyer

Originally posted by: reconranger
Honda 90 if you are small. Suzuki LT160 for an in between machine. Honda 250EX/Recon if you are big for your age or a Blaster if you can handle a full manual clutch. You will have to get a used one at your price range.

Isn't the lt160 made by Hyosung? Tain't no Jap quad. That's Korean! Can't be recommending that! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I think I got a steal on my cheap-ars quad. Do the deal again in a heart beat.

But, I would look at a 150cc+ machine unless you plan on your kid racing. And, I'd recommend biting the bullet and buying two machines to ride together. Great bonding experience.

If you do opt for a mini-quad, plan on slapping some aftermarket parts on it. They are pretty gutless in stock form for a larger kid. Sky's the limit for those 2-strokes. You can make them run.

Old 06-28-2004, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default 1st time buyer

Honda, Polaris, Cat etc etc. The china cheap quads do not hold value as well because parts are not as readily available - IMO.

That's not really true....Parts will not be an issue there are alot of dealers on these forums that can get you just about everything you will need and with the so called off brands alot of parts will interchangable from other makes. The so called off brands hold there value well. Hell, I paid $1,500.00(a steal) for our Predator 90 via an out of state deal off of ebay. Right now in my area I could sell it for $1,700-$1,900, that's what they are going for used around here. I can't imagine Polaris being an off brand considering they have been in business for a while selling everything from snow sleds, atv's etc.

If you spend 1,900 for a kasea or an eton and go to resell it for about 1,500-1,700 that is not a big loss. For quality and reliabilty the so called "Off brands" are the way to go...IMO.

Eton's
Kasea
Polaris and the other 2 strokes are Damn Good quads. Do dome research and you will see for yourself.

Take your kid and put him/her on it to size it properly. Then get every last piece of safety gear imaginable and supervise the kid with the eyes of a hawk and a bull horn.

Goodluck

Old 06-28-2004, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1st time buyer

I would recomend a Yamaha Grizzly 125, Looks awsome just like a full sized griz.
Plus you can grow on it.

Old 06-28-2004, 03:38 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default 1st time buyer

Raptorlegs-Since when? I have not owned a 160 in a lot of years, but I am sure there wasn't even a "Hyosung" back then. It is possible that the new ones could be made by someone else??? Tell us how you know for sure??? In any case, if you check Suzuki's web site, the 160 isn't even in the 05 lineup. (Maybe they had some quality control issues???)

Personally, I would stick with the big 3 only: Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha, in that order.

Old 06-28-2004, 03:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default 1st time buyer

Originally posted by: reconranger
Honda 90 if they are small. Suzuki LT160 for an in between machine. Honda 250EX/Recon if they are big for their age, or a Blaster if they can handle a full manual clutch. You will have to get a used one at your price range.

that is better advice than I gave you......i was in a hurry

Basicly, you dont want to go too small,,,but not too big either (scare the poor kid)

Reconrangers advice is just about perfect,,,,all of those quads are easy maintenance and hold their value. (and all can be found used fairly easily)

Quick Reply: 1st time buyer