Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

1st time buyer

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time buyer

Speaking of Korean products... somebody mentioned they thought they were like the Japanese market was 20 or 30 years ago... I think that may have some truth to it... as many of us old goats can remember the time when cheap imports really soured a lot of us. I have to say that they are doing a lot better job now days when they bring something to the American market.. but things are not all OK yet.

I remember how tinny the Toyota or Datsun's were when they were first brought to our shores... now days, they represent the top of the line in some cases. Still, when talking about motorcycles and quads, You have to wonder... I was in Miami this past weekend visiting my daughter, and went into a pep boys to get my oil changed in my truck. While there, I see these quads and mini bikes for sale... in many cases, for less than half than the big boys.

Now I know it causes me to wonder how they can sell a quad for under a thousand dollars, when Yamaha changes 2 grand for their 50 cc model... The answer is that they do not offer service, or parts for them... which goes back to an earlier argument over the after the sale service that you can expect.

I think in many cases, it is a case of perception and expectations. If you feel comfortable with the fact that you may have to work a little harder to keep it running... so be it. Go for it

I believe that most "Older and wiser" folks of my generation would still opt for the Yamaha or Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, arctic Cat, Polaris etc.. for no other reason than I know that no matter where I go, I will still be able to get parts for it. And with the advent of the Internet, just do a Yahoo search on "Yamaha parts" and you will find literally hundreds of sources... so I guess just for the peace of mind, I'd still lean towards the big boys. With teh online sales, you will have an easier source of finding parts for the cheap stuff...so that may not be as big of a deal if you are able to wait a few days for the stuff to come in.

Perceptions are like respect... you have to earn it... and right now, I can't say the cheap imports have done that in my not so humble opinion. Only time will tell. If they can provide a quality product that earns the same tank like reputation as my kid's Raptor 80, and still maintain a price point well below the big boys, they will without a doubt turn some heads... but history needs to be established... and right now, only a handful of people out there are acting as guinea pigs... I wish them well... maybe it will drive prices down a bit...

I do not wish to get into a my quad is better than your quad argument.. as we all tend to defend our purchase decisions to the death. I wish you all luck with what ever brand you put under your butts... the only really important thing is that you get out there and ride

Old 07-09-2004, 10:39 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st time buyer

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Now I know it causes me to wonder how they can sell a quad for under a thousand dollars, when Yamaha changes 2 grand for their 50 cc model... The answer is that they do not offer service, or parts for them... which goes back to an earlier argument over the after the sale service that you can expect.

I think in many cases, it is a case of perception and expectations. If you feel comfortable with the fact that you may have to work a little harder to keep it running... so be it. Go for it

I've seen off brands at the big-4 dealers. They are going to offer less service for those quads than the others they sell? Not to mention there are 10-15 motorcycle and small engine repair shops in this small town that would love to do work on mine. What you really give up (when you mail order) is warranty work.

Also, many brands have parts readily available from multiple sources, so saying none of them offer parts is not necessarily true either. And maybe it's just me, but I find it easier to get online and order parts than to mess with the local dealer. Not to mention it's a whole lot cheaper.

Let's compare dollar to dollar too. I paid $1180 for my quad. That would have bought me a 5-10 year old Suzuki 80 with a fraction of the safety items. Mine has full running boards, headlight, brakelight and 2 tether kill switches. And, which do you think I would have worked harder on to keep running?

Old 07-09-2004, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default 1st time buyer

Exactly, and if you are comfortable with that.. go for it. My point was regarding people's perceptions and earning respect over the long term. I suspect they will in time make a big splash in the market. I hope the competition is able to drive price points lower from the big guys. But changing our perceptions will take a lottle more time. I guess the long term will change a lot of minds if they turn out to be tank like in their reliability.

Like I said, I was very shocked to see the pricing on them last weekend. They were selling those little pocket racers for under $500.. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st time buyer

I think Raptorlegs is saying he'll spend way more time working on the used 'Zuki, than a NEW import. Don't kid yourself about manufacturing... it's a global economy and it's all about mass production at the cheapest price. I think a lot more of our Yamahas are manufactured in China and assembled wherever, than we'll ever realize.

The parts thing is a tough call since I've never owned a Chinese quad and tried to get parts for one (other than a brief encounter with 2 Kasea Mighty Mites, and they were renowned as garbage by all who came across their path). BUT, whenever i need Suzuki or Yamaha parts, the local dealer NEVER has anything, and it's always a day or two to get it in, unless it's back-ordered to Japan, or Eastern Canada. Sometimes my dealer gets lazy and guilty of not calling in an order every day if it's kinda slow, or waiting the next day after the shipment comes in to call, if they're too busy the day it arrives. 90% of the time, I get the part the same week. The later in the week, the more dilligent they are to ensure it's ordered that day and arrives before the weekend.

It just seems to me that's the way the Japanese distribution system works. One huge warehouse somewhere in the city carries the majority of stuff, none of the dealers carry ANYTHING other than plugs, chain, high use brake parts and maybe an air cleaner filter or two. The retailer orders today, the warehouse fills the order tomorrow, and it gets picked up late that or the next day. Same for Honda car I used to have. It's frustrating, cuz I find Ford or GM more often have what i need, or can get it by the end of the same day, while i still have the thing apart and am still covered in grease and dirt, and have the time to finish the job.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default 1st time buyer

You can't always fault the dealers.. you know, it costs a lot of money to have parts sitting on the shelves.. so many can only stock those items that they know will turn over in a given period of time. You can't see it when you order accross the web, but in many cases, the people you are buying from will never even touch the parts. Their website only refers the order to the major parts house and they in turn mail the part out to you. You end up with the impression that there are a lot of sources, but in fact, they all come out of the same place. The only difference in price then becomes an issue of how small a margin the so called mail order house is willing to accept. Volume sites, just like volume dealers receive bigger discounts form the mega warehouses... and they can choose to pass it on or not, depending on their whim that day.

I on the other hand get a discount from my local dealer on everything. 10% minimum discount on every item I purchase... but it is because I have spent nearly 60 grand at his place