Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Suggestions for changing the "GUIDELINES"

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for changing the "GUIDELINES"

For those of you interested in some really good reading on the subject... I've included a few source links for you to look at...

http://research.marshfieldclinic.org.../Resources.pdf List of several organizations that have published artcles on youth ATV safety

http://www.off-road.com/atv/kidskorner/youthatvs.htm explains parts of teh guidelines...

http://www.off-road.com/atv/kidskorner/teach.html A how to teaching manual for kids.

http://www.off-road.com/atv/kidskorner/state_regs.htm Listing by state of the present laws

Old 08-18-2004, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

Well folks, haven't had any new posts since the 3rd, last chance to make a comment before I try and compile my thoughts and move to the next step... What ever that is oing to be, I am not sure... I'll keep you all posted.

Old 08-18-2004, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

Hello Gary,

I just checked on the one site you listed to check on regs and I was not suprised to see that Alaska has no restriction's but I was wondering if anyone out there could answer this for me. I looked at Michigan(my old state) and it said if under 16 licensing required, what does this entail?

Matthew.
(AlaskaBoy)

Old 08-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Mathew, without going directly to the state's website for teh real lowdown, I'd hate to hazzard a guess. I know in several other states, WI being one that is close to MI, they do not allow kids under 12 to ride in Public areas, but can ride all day on their own private property.. And when they turn 12, they must complete a certification course no matter if it is public or private. Other states totally ban kids under 12 period...

Old 08-18-2004, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: AlaskaBoy
Hello Gary,I just checked on the one site you listed to check on regs and I was not suprised to see that Alaska has no restriction's but I was wondering if anyone out there could answer this for me. I looked at Michigan(my old state) and it said if under 16 licensing required, what does this entail? Matthew.(AlaskaBoy)
Check out http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...l#Restrictions

Old 08-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Voc
Weekend Warrior

My opinion is you cannot legislate against poor parenting. Lunatic parents who let the kids run riot on large ATV's won't take a blind bit of notice of any laws. We have the same problems in the UK, the few spoiling it for the many.
Also I think all new kids ATV's should be supplied with a helmet....even if you already have the correct safety gear it wouldn't add much to the cost of a new bike and you could always e-bay the helmet if it wasn't required, which would in turn lower the price of helmets as there would be a lot of second hand (but new) helmets on the market...could only be a good thing?
My boys 6 and has a Viper 50 he is already bored with the power it provides and can easily handle the viper 90, but my daughters 10 and is still getting to grips with the 50. All kids are different maybe a tiered licensing system would be a good solution with the kids that can truly handle the extra size/power passing tests at various stages say a 50 license for 6 months then a 90 licence for 12 months then they couls sit a 150 test?
Just some thoughts....I think if you do it by age you will always alienate some of the more skilful kids and trap them in a lower class bike than they can handle and that will lead to boredom on the ATV's which in turn leads them to mess around on the bikes and tempts them into dangerous stunts etc to get the kicks they once got from riding normally...

Old 08-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

Voc - I can agree with you mostly. But consider how many adults will risk fishing without a license. They have made the penalties so severe that only a fool will risk his boat, motor, truck and camper to ignore the laws. Maybe that is where this is going to have to go. If it stings enough - maybe parents will start paying attention.

Old 08-20-2004, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

VOC, I understand the issue on a tiered system, however in the real world, at least locally, the problem is that there just isn't enough trainers to train the people, let alone addressing any sort of qualification. The states are all doing their own thing regarding how the whole issue is addressed. In short there is no consitency. On top of that, state budgets just do not have the funding available to do things right.

I am not sure what the answer is going to be

Old 08-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Voc
Weekend Warrior

If the draconian laws get passed in all states and ban young people off quads completely then it's the dealers who are going to lose out big time......I think it's time they woke up and take notice of what is happening around them. Whats needed here is the big names in the quad industry need to form a lobby group and lead by example and not just sit back and let the customers do the battling for them!!
If anyone has any contacts inside the trade maybe they can direct them to this thread and they can explain what they are doing from the manufacturers side of things (if anything)
The shooting/fishing brigade has a very strong voice in politics maybe it's about time trail riders did too.
Ignorance is what we are fighting against so lets educate the people who make the calls, we can only do that with the backing of the manufacturers.

Old 08-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Voc
Weekend Warrior

Also on the lack of trainers issue, If ATV dealers are required to have at least ONE qualified staff member who can issue safety certs to minors the problem would be solved....not actually train the kids just act as examiners perhaps. I am sure many people would then offer there services as trainers to help minors pass the requirements in exhange for a small fee or perhaps it could be done by local clubs?
Just airing my mind here I know all suggestions won't be perfect lol but if we all fire a few ideas around one of thems going to work eventually[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Suggestions for changing the "GUIDELINES"