Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Suggestions for changing the "GUIDELINES"

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for changing the "GUIDELINES"

Actually in the defense of manufacturers, one of the things this thread has done is made me do a lot of research into the subject, just to make sure I had the facts correct... and I am finding that my perceptions concerning the manufacturers, and the CPSC were way off base... I had based my opinions on what others like myself were grumbling about and man were we mis-informed.

The fact is, the manufacturers were the ones that recognised that too many injuries were occurring, and many of the current inclusions in the "guidelines" were a direct result of the makers insisting they become part of them as a way of reducing the injury trends....

They also took it upon themselves to create the riding programs, essentially funding many if not all the formal training courses and continue to support the ATV industry by providing expertise and in some cases actual physical support in the way of free ATV's and other hard goods to organizations that are working with them to do things like building riding parks etc. We don't see that, as in most cases it is done through riding clubs, local non profit organizations, and through both state and federal resources.

Not to mention names, but HONDA, SUZUKI, Kawasaki are all deeply involved with sponsorship of riding area development and lobby efforts in Washington DC.

So I guess in short, at least here in the US, to say that the manufacturers and their sales representatives are not engaged in the battle would be an incorrect assumption...

Old 08-26-2004, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

Putting a qualified trainer in every dealership would be akin to putting a gun to their heads and pulling the trigger. That shifts all the burden of responsibility and Liability onto the dealers, and that would be unfair. Like the gun lobby has said for years, guns don't kill, people using them do.... Same can be said about ATV's in general.

We as parents are making purchase decisions, so we have a certain amount of responsibility to assume. I do think the industry could improve the purchase process by providing more information to parents, and all buyers actually... to let them know that this purchase represents a serious decision that should not be taken lightly.. but the same is true about buying a car, boat etc.. They all have their own set of risks involved, and people making the purchase have to accept the fact that there are consequences to that decision that only they can control.

These things are not toys by any means. And should only be allowed to be operated by those willing to accept the risks they are being exposed to. That includes a certain level of personal control, and a willingness to educate themselves not only in knowledge, but in skill as well. If a kid can't control their urges to act out, then they have no business being on one... and it is the parent that is the best judge of this.

Even if we had a perfect world where a dealer would take a kid out and show them the basic skills, there is no guarantee that a child will learn.. certainly some have more ability than others...and getting back to the parent thing... I think it might be a good thing that when a child does receive instruction, that the parent has to be there and go through it with them.. so both are up to speed..

Old 08-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Just finished reading a transcript of a meeting that took place in PA a few months/years ago concerning the ATV issues and found that even though the issue may be several months/years old, the same conditions exist today. One paragraph I'd like to post is this. It presents a brief synopsis of what we are up against. It shows that PA state officials are very aware of the issues, and the comments about the disorganized manner in which the legal riders are trying to present their views... clearly illustrates how they are perceived and dealt with.. Which if you zip back to present day, makes me have a sense of Deja vu"... Pay close attention to the part where they highlight the general lack of public support....

"Our current situation: In March of 2000, Secretary Oliver declared a moratorium on any new ATV trail construction on state forest land. That moratorium will be in existence through the spring of 2002. The Bureau is evaluating the large tracts of state forest land to determine where potentials exist for ATV trail construction in the future. The ATV issue has generated more mail in the Governor’s Office, and the Secretary’s Office, than any other single issue in recent history. And, frankly, the ATV riders do not have much public support for their chosen sport. There is a very real image problem. And there is a perception of their organizations being rather disorganized and that there are internal struggles occurring within the ATV-riding community. Secretary Oliver has stated that he is proceeding with caution on this issue. The other ATV activities that we have regards disabled sportsmen, and we do have a program for them to use ATVs on state forest land."

Old 08-27-2004, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

OK, me again... for those that are interested... Since I am a member of Honda riders club, I found some interesting tidbits that I didn't know existed. Go to your Honda dealer and look into their brochures/videos etc on how to choose the proper sized machine for your kids, how to equip them with safety gear, how to teach them how to ride safely etc.... I was pretty shocked to find this data available. Just what I have been asking for, and it already exists....

Old 08-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

Just in case anyone is still awake and reading this... here is another good link to the ATV safety institute that has some good riding tips and information for parents to help them judge if the kids are ready for an ATV or not. http://www.atvsafety.org/ Look in the riding tips area and click on the headings...