Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Quad vs. Motorcycle Safety Q...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quad vs. Motorcycle Safety Q...

I know it would prob depend on terrain, kid, experience etc... but what would you guys say statistically is safer for kids, quads or dirt bikes? For example, for a 7-8 yr old, XR50 vs. LT50?????

Thanks for any educated opinions or real life experience,

Jake

Old 08-21-2004, 10:49 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I put my kid's on dirt bikes for three reason's. 1)That is what I had experience with and felt I could teach them what I had learned. 2) To avoid the Quad age restrictions. 3) When they crash/fall I felt safer knowing that a lighter dirt bike could/would land on them than a approx. twice as heavy quad. My boy's started around age 4 1/2 are now 16 and 18 and the worst crash's have happened since they got on 250's. I also feel that there is a certain amount of perceived "safety" from four wheels that may lead kids to try something that they might not try on a dirt bike.Of course that last statement is only my opinion.Since I don't know what is or is'nt legal regarding quads/age I will leave that to other's on the forum.From what I have read here so far, there is no shortage of opinion's on that subject.

Old 08-23-2004, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my son started on a PW50. I found it lighter and easier to run than the XR50. (Hey, I like Honda, he's now got a xr70, and an xr80, I just like Yamaha's 50 better as a first starter). we also got quads, Suzuki LT50, now he's up to anything from Raptor 80 to LT160. They are different styles of riding. DB teaches balance and concentration. He'll try tougher hills on DB as it's easier to bail or lay it down if he has to. Quad is fun too, but he gets a little cocky sometimes on it, maybe overconfident. some trails we ride on are really hard for a db to make it through, whereas others are tighter for quad.

my 7 y/o will ride quad, but is intimidated by db. I think it's easier to wipe out on db, but less damage to person. I think cuz of the speed restrictions and safety features (i.e tether kill), quads are safer. also, 4 wheels on the ground (usually), vs. 2 on db.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:21 AM
Trailblazer

Well we are new to racing but in the last four weeks we have seen four kids get hurt on db's and none on mini quads. To me it seems like the smaller quads are safer than the db's but when they get a bit older/bigger the bigger quads are not as safe to race as the db's? Either way it is all about what you teach your child about safety. My son is 6 and has been on quads since he was 4. We stress safety a lot including leaning into turns, pulling up when you jump, always going straight up/down hills, etc... He just started riding a pw50 and loves it but only wants to race the quads. He started on a lt50 and now has a DRR50 and a Pred 90. Hope this helps.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:24 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

I wonder if we were comparing an lt80 to an rm85 if the answers would be different? What 25+mph versus 60+mph?

All the bad spills I've taken were on dirt bikes at high rates of speed. I think quads are more forgiving. But I've always manage to jump clear in a bad situation.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys!

Old 08-27-2004, 12:18 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I ride with dirt bikes a lot. Older guys with years of experience, who are experienced District 37 desert racers. Every one of them has some kind of little get-off, almost every ride if we hit the soft stuff.

My point is, that on a bike you are going to have a bunch of little get-offs, that you won't have on a quad. But a big crash on a quad is worse than a big crash on a bike.

Old 08-27-2004, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Jake, you are comparing apples and oranges, and I've ridden both.. First let's consider the dynamics of crashing, as they are totally opposite in how they occur, and to what extent the injury can be expected. In most cases, the dirt bike crash will be much easier on the body, because when they fall, generally they are laid down in some fashion. The DB is much easier to get off of, and away from during the crash too.

When an ATV crashes, they tend to roll to the outside due to centrifugal force, and the rider's body typically follows the same path. ATV's are harder to dismount in a crash as well, so both the rider and ATV end up in the same place, with the rider usually coming out on the losing end.

With that being said, it is hard to roll a mini quad, but not impossible. I think you will find that rollover's will be few and far between compared to laydowns on a DB. There are some things you can do to reduce this tendency as well. For one, teach them how to move their butts around on the seat and lean properly. Secondly, you can increase the track width by installing wider axles, or use stud extenders that can increased the width by as much as 4 to 6 inches. That makes them nearly impossible to roll.

I think an ATV is easier on the child to learn, since they can concentrate of steering, gas and brakes without having to deal with the added part of balance. What ever you do, in the beginning, do not mix the two. The first time on an ATV and they get into trouble, they will put their foot out like they do on a bike or DB, and they can run over the leg in a heartbeat... Which can cause serious injury. I think that is the most dangerous item about an ATV.

Which one is safer... hard to say, but I think the DB is safer if the child is able to adapt to all the issues. The ATV is much more usable though, especially in times where there is moisture present on the ground (ie mud) The dirt biker can't go anywhere in wet conditions, and that is when the real fun starts on an ATV.

Old 08-28-2004, 05:47 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt

The ATV is much more usable though, especially in times where there is moisture present on the ground (ie mud) The dirt biker can't go anywhere in wet conditions, and that is when the real fun starts on an ATV.
Dragginbutt you make some great point's.Especially about not mixing the two in the beginning.However i have to disagree with two of your comment's. I have found that a dirt bike can go places that quad's can't even dream of going. Single track trail's that they won't even fit on for one. And a Dirt bike can't go anywhere in the mud? I don't even ride my dirt bike's in the summer much, the hard pack is way too slippery and dangerous. I live for the first rain fall, and usually call in sick to get out in the first mud of the season. Now if you are only talking about a 7-8 yr. old beginner on a dirt bike, you definitely have a point.

Old 08-28-2004, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

RAAWR

Quick Reply: Quad vs. Motorcycle Safety Q...