Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

The perfect 90cc for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The perfect 90cc for me?

The E-ton is a great reliable bike with lots of excellent features and I've heard the Kasea is good.Here is a link to a guy who makes rear foot brake kits for other models http://www.kfabproducts.com/products.cfm or hetrickracing.com The rear brakes are very easy to use on the Viper,my 6 year old can easily skid the tires and it was one of the main reasons why I bought the bike.My only beef is the brake levers could be a little smaller but we got the bike when he was only 5 1/2 years old and he's never had a problem with locking up the brakes or using them.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ragsman,

Welcome to this forum. As you guessed, there isn't "a perfect mini-Quad" on the market. Each has their great things and the same model could have a bad thing. Or, something they are holding back for their future years.

To me, a perfect mini-quad would have:
- Lots of suspension
- Optional factory front & tail light
* Daytime running lights for the dark bush trails.
- Combo foot & hand brakes
* Some kids love foot brakes. Other kids love hand brakes. By having both, the "young rider" could use what ever brake control system they are most comfortable with.
- CVT transmission
* Press on the gas and go!
- Full running boards with a lip to hold their feet it.
* I like running boards better then nerf bars and foot pegs.
- Sealed drive shaft.
* Low maintenance for sand & deep mud riding.
* Can't change gear ratios on these sealed units.
- All round disc brakes
* A must if you do lots of mud & water riding.
- 3" wider then its minimum standards
* Why buy stock then have to install wheel spacers or wider A-Arms / axles at a later time.
- Adjustable shocks (with weight range from 75 lbs to 150 lbs)
- Manual choke
- Reverse
- Factory wide back tires - like on the Pred-90
- Factory optional skid plate, Swing Arm & A-Arm plates.
* Remove for racing and quick install for trail riding.
- Factory mirror post mounts on left & right side
* Rubber plug these post holes while racing.
* Mirror on handle bars are great for the trails.
- If chain drive, factory installed Spring Loaded Chain Tensioner.

Since each brand has their improvement areas or things you want but they don't have, you'll have to pick the one you feel has the MOST features (for your unique riding conditions) and change the things you don't like via 3rd party specialty upgrades. I know this "is a pain" but it's what we have today.

To answer some of your other questions....
- Foot brake for the rear tires is a great thing to have. Sure wish our Pred-90 had a foot brake. I hear hetricks makes foot brakes for many different brands of minis. Give them a call to inquire if they can create / install a foot brake for the mini you are thinking of purchasing.
- If you drive a CVT mini up a steep hill and turn off its engine (or run out of gas), it will roll backwards. The steeper the hill, the faster it will roll backwards. From a safety guidelines perspective, we should NOT drive any quad up a hill steeper then 35 degrees. If a quad rolls backwards, the driver pulls the front brakes ONLY. NEVER use the back brakes. If you roll backwards and hit the foot brake (which controls the back brakes), it will do a front/back roll over. Even adults driving their quads up a steep hill don't use only their back brakes (unless they are a combo rear & front brake system).

If I had to do it again, I'd purchase a mini with reverse. For our trail riding, reverse is near mandatory. For others, reverse is NOT used and to them, it's just another part that adds more weight and/or could break during a race. Before I commit to buy, I'd call Hetricks, your local welder guy, etc. etc. to inquire if a foot brake could be installed on that specific brand. Luckily, you'll find someone who could create / install a foot brake at a reasonable price. If they can't, then you are right. You have to decide if a foot brake or if reverse is more important to your young driver.

Hope this helps...

Old 09-13-2004, 11:28 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WRH Racing.

WRH

Old 09-14-2004, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See the many sites located within the 2nd post of - Press Here -

Hope this helps...

Old 09-14-2004, 08:43 AM
Trailblazer

Hello here is my 2 cents worth.Are you doing mostly trail rider or racing?If your just trail riding there is no need for the foot brake a hand brake will be suffient.We have 2 Dinli's great quads but the others mentioned also are very good except the Raptor.If your trail ridingI would recommend the Dinli Beast or Helix which has a reverse by the way.Good luck.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:40 AM
Range Rover

The Viper is wired for lights. Sounds like you've got a good selection to look at close by, thats good, make sure you ask if they stock parts. You can get most parts easily over the net but I find it nice to be able to walk in and get parts if I can.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The best one for your child is the one you buy.
As mentioned, a dealer that can/will help and stock parts is important.
For what you are doing the LT80 is bulletproof.
I have a problem with hand brakes. what happoens when your child gets a bigger machine and is not used to the foot brake? This answer will vary per rider. Some will get right onto it without problem, others may get in trouble quickly.
If you read long enough, no matter what the machine,you will see that they will break under hard riding conditions. This is why I say "same but different" on all the brands.
Good luck and I hope your rider has a ball! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2004, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

If you want bullet proof and a great trail bike...I know I'm gonna get shot for saying this but, The TRX90 is the best choice. Big $$$ though.
Same with the LT80.

If you want a 2stroke Then look into the Eton R, Kasea, Polaris R(R=reverse)Dinli. All are great bikes and each can be modded for racing. Just look at your needs. What type of riding you will be doing.

We have a predator 90 it has given some troubles. You will get minor troubles with any bike. For me to go out and buy another bike today it would be a toss up between the ETON and the TRX90. YEP...I said it!!!

No-one can deny that the TRX90 is a great bike and can modded up to win.

Please don't take away my 2 stroke club memebership. I still own one. LMAO

Old 09-14-2004, 11:12 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always been a Honda fan mom! Just wish it had a cvt and electric start!

I think it would be perfect for an older child. 10-11-12 range.

Of course at the rate I'm going I'll have mine on a yfz450 by 12! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2004, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

If you decide on a DInli you have a lot of support for your machine here in Georgia. Support is probably one of the biggest considerations I would make on what machine to buy.

Quick Reply: The perfect 90cc for me?