Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

The perfect 90cc for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The perfect 90cc for me?

I"m having a tough time deciding which 90cc to get my son. Currently he rides an old suzuki 50cc (80's vintage) and it's just too small and slow for him now.

What I would really like is a 90cc with floorboards, reverse, and a foot operated brake. Of all the ones I've been looking at, I really like the Kasea Outback, except it has no reverse. I also like the eton 90R quite a bit but it has no foot brake! The '05 polaris 90cc (sportsman or predator) with reverse also looks very good ( but again, no foot brake and it's heavier).

The suzuki 80 and yamaha's also have foot brakes, and the yamaha is 4 stroke and shaft driven, but seems to be a dated design (very similar to my other son's yamaha 100, which is a 90's model).

It seems to me that a foot brake is important for typical trail riding (he won't be racing), and I don't really understand why more of the small ATV's don't have them. Does anyone know why that is? Is there a kit available to add a foot brake to any of these models?

If stopping one of these automatic atv's on a hill, will they tend to roll backwards easily, or does the auto tranny keep this from happening?

If I have to choose between foot brake and reverse, right now I'm leaning towards the foot brake, which would mean the kasea. I would love any opinions, recommendations, and advice.

Thanks!

Old 09-13-2004, 05:27 PM
Trailblazer

hey i would say the raptor 80 those kaseas are crap.... i hear they ALWAYS break. the raptor is the best looking and is in the top 3 name brands whick means good quality as opposed to some chinese junker. Also, the LT80 is an awsome quas for kids and has many hop ups

good luck

BenJammin

Old 09-13-2004, 05:34 PM
Range Rover

I think you can find a foot brake for the back if you look around. Their kind of expensive. You might try to decide between two stroke and four stroke and then narrow it down from there.

Old 09-13-2004, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

Dude how do you say the raptor is better than the kasea. The raptor has the worst suspension and has flipped kids forward if they get any kinda air on anything and is a total dawg. The lt 80 is so outdated its unreal. there are several out there as you mentioned twith the reverse. Getting a foot brake ...well...they figure the one hand brake for both the back and front is good enough.....

get the kasea,polaris, or i believe the dinli is making one with reverse now.

Old 09-13-2004, 05:43 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: benJammin
hey i would say the raptor 80 those kaseas are crap.... i hear they ALWAYS break. the raptor is the best looking and is in the top 3 name brands whick means good quality as opposed to some chinese junker. Also, the LT80 is an awsome quas for kids and has many hop ups

good luck

BenJammin

The Yamaha is crap. Just look at front suspension!

The foot brake would be good to have, but the Eton has a hydrolic rear brake that is supposedly easier for the kids to use. Not sure if that's available on the Polaris or not.

I think Kasea would make you a good quad.

Old 09-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the replies so far. Looks like I'll have to make a decision between the foot brake and reverse.

No one answered the question about rolling backwards. If these CVT transmission ATV's stop while going up a steep hill, will they roll backwards? what if the engine dies, will it roll backwards then? That's really my concern with not having a foot brake. If he's climbing a steep grade, and needs to stop, having to hold that hand brake is awkward. It's also harder to use a hand brake in an emergency stop.

as for 2 stroke or 4 stroke, I'd like a 4 stroke but that would be arctic cat, bombardier, or yamaha. the 2 stroke doesn't matter, really, and there seem to be more options in 2 strokes.

Old 09-13-2004, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

There are a few places that offer a rear foot brake kit(I believe Hetricks does) and you can just adapt a master cylinder off of a bigger bike onto the foot pedal on a bike like the viper with the hydraulic rear disc brake and then you'll have everything you want.The hand brakes do work very well though but I realize some people would like to have their kids learn with a footbrake so it will be familiar to them when they move to a bigger quad.

Old 09-13-2004, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

Yes when the engine is idleing or shut off the bike just freewheels so it would roll down a hill.The hand brakes are very easy to use though,especially the hydraulic disk.You can lock the brake with one finger.I don't quite understand how the foot brake is easier if your on a hill?

Old 09-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I suppose I'm used to my '95 model suzuki king quad, with drums. I don't think i could hold that thing on a hill and keep from rolling backwards with the hand brakes alone! and If I could, it would take a lot of effort on my part.

I do like the idea of him learning to ride with a foot brake, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. I'm more concerned with safety, ease of use, and brake performance.

So the disc brake on the eton is very easy to use, and won't give him any hand cramps or problems in an emergency? and it's very easy to lock?

I couldn't find any kit to add rear brakes to the eton. If you happen to know exactly where you saw that, I'd like to know.

With all of that aside, does anyone have an opinion as to which bike, the eton or the kasea, is the better one all-around? (quality, durability, performance?)

Old 09-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer

to every one who said stuff about the raptor 80, i had just finshed reading another post and it was about racing lt80s and other kids quads. i geuss it was in my head that the other guy said he had works shocks to put on it so it was ok. sorry for the confusion.

and i realize what wouls suit your needs. My friend hasd the first eton 90 to come out. it was a great quad and took a beating every single little day. It always started on the first crank and was a blast. The new viper 90 i bet would make a great quad for your son

Quick Reply: The perfect 90cc for me?