Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Why kids should wear protective gear!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 09:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why kids should wear protective gear!

Originally posted by: Bluetickracing
. Plus people over look the neck. A neck brace is a nice thing to have also..

Ride hard but ride smart!

Both my boys wear them, the 14 yr old always says it's uncomfortable but then his Dad says well then don't go out on the track!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-24-2004, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

My boy wears hit full kit, and loves it. All it took was one close encounter with a tree for him to become a believer.

Full speed, misjudged a bump and flew into a tree. He gets up, complaining that his knuckles hurt... No broken bones, gloves took the brunt of it. I pont out the scrape on his helment and bark embedded in his chest guard.

He says "Wow, I didn't even feel those!"

And he is a firm believer in protective equipment now.

Old 09-24-2004, 05:28 PM
Range Rover

My daughter always wears all her gear.

During a practice (only about 4 vehicles on teh track) she got hit by a kid on a dirtbike... He landed on herquad and side swiped her back in a jump. His bike: KX125, Hers: Scrambler 50. He wadded up on teh bottm of the table top... bruided leg and side, wearing full gear. My daughter went over the bars, superman style, landed on her right hand, and flipped over on her back. She was out for abotu 30 seconds and in the end, had a fractured wrist and fractured elbow. It could have been much worse. Very scary sight to see for me, but she wanted to know if I had cought it on video tape [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. After a trip to the hospital in an ambulance, she made me take take her back to the track to let everyone know she was OK.

The gear very well saved her life. I contacted the manufacturer about her riding gear, and they replaced every part that was damaged in teh accident or cut off by the ER, free of charge.

Bryce

Old 09-28-2004, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Believe it or not, ol' dragginbutt has taken a few nasties in his day... and I have had my jaw wired shut for almost a year to prove it.and I walk with a cane these days too... I can't over emphasize what others have said about proper fit. Regarding helmets, take the old ones with you when you ride, and look for someone who could use it.. and just pass it along. Some call it recycling... I call it passing some good will, you never know when you will be on the receiving end. I can almost guarantee at some point, you will be in need of some.

I find it gratifying that in the past year, the comments have gone from mind your own business to won't leave home without it... Way to go parents...

Old 09-29-2004, 10:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Believe it or not, ol' dragginbutt has taken a few nasties in his day... and I have had my jaw wired shut for almost a year to prove it.and I walk with a cane these days too... I can't over emphasize what others have said about proper fit. Regarding helmets, take the old ones with you when you ride, and look for someone who could use it.. and just pass it along. Some call it recycling... I call it passing some good will, you never know when you will be on the receiving end. I can almost guarantee at some point, you will be in need of some.

I find it gratifying that in the past year, the comments have gone from mind your own business to won't leave home without it... Way to go parents...
I agree w/ you 100% here!! I ALWAYS have an extra helmet or 2 w/ us nothing I can't stand more than seeing someone w/o a helmet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] We know some people who would stick thier 3-4 yr old daughter on the front of the quad w/ them w/ NO helmet(no they didn't have one either) & take her riding [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] I always offered them our lil guys helmet for her but nooooooooo!!! NO her parents are NOT the sharpest tools in the shed BUT I finally GAVE them the helmet when we got him a new one & they are having her wear it now!! Some people just don't understand, there's a few people we camp w/ that refuse to wear them???????? I just feel naked if I don't have mine on when I ride!!! I suppose one of these days they will learn the hard way [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-29-2004, 12:06 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Riding gear was never questioned in our house. The boys, who started riding at age 4, now 17 & 19. Always wore full gear, it was not an option. I always told them that they were dressing for the crash not the ride. This is a dangerous sport and even with all the gear on you can still get hurt.