Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

quad for beginner - brand opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quad for beginner - brand opinions

I bought an AC 90 for my 10yr old, now I've got to make a purchase for my 5yr old. He is small in stature, only weighing about 40lbs. His feet, however, reach the floor boards well on the AC 90. I just can't regulate it slow enough for him to learn on, which he needs....he's a wild man.

I have been researching endlessly on the net, looking at all brands.

The Yamoto 70cc peaks my interest as it can be regulated down to roughly 7mph and it has the remote control kill. It is also quite reasonably priced at roughly $1300 or slightly less. This seems like a nice deal for a 4 stroke machine with shaft drive.

The riding terrain will mainly be flat grass in the yard for a while while he learns. However I would like a machine that will carry him for 3-4yrs and put him in the woods riding trails and climbing some fairly long steep hills. So a machine that can easily handle that with slight mods would be perfect.

So here's where you all come in!! Please throw out your recomendations and why. I would like to stick to a machine down in that price range, as he can graduate into the AC90 when big brother goes up a notch. I also would prefer a 4 stroker, but am not opposed to a good machine with a 2 stroke.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm kinda in the same boat. We have an '03 Pred-90 and my 10 year old son currently drives it. We mostly do trails and "around the house" riding. On average, I've clocked my son doing 10-15 MPH on the trails. Rarely does he drive wide open. In our yard, he might do 5 mph with lots of fish tails around the corners. Hence, one of the main reasons we made our unit 3" wider via 1.5" wheel spacers.

My 7.5 year old daughter will soon be driving our Pred-90. She's a little frame and at times, can be wild. Instead of trying to make our unit go as slow as its rev limited will make it, I was thinking of changing its sprockets. If I put a bigger sprocket on the back and a smaller sprocket on the front, it will dramatically lower its ground speed - without lower RPMs that often carbon up its engine. At low RPMs, 2 strokes do tend to carbon up.

If you've had good luck with AC and are pleased with their 90 brand, perhaps their 50 version with changed sprockets will work as well? When your "youngest rider" is ready for more ground speed, simply re-install the factory size sprockets and new chain. By keeping in the same brand, you also know how to obtain maintenance & repair parts.

Hope this idea helps...

Old 11-10-2004, 07:59 PM
Range Rover

We have an AC70. Was the AC 50. These are the most restricted quad on the market. It has the 50 tooth sprocket on the rear and has a limited cdi plus it has a restrictor in the variator in the pully on the cvt transmission. Plus it has the 16" wheels. It is very slow in stock form. But as the child grows you can remove the restrictors. This is a very good and solid quad. It's the same quad as the DRR. But if you remove all the restrictors and go to smaller sprockets and with the 18" wheels in the rear it will be much faster. The 50 is the same quad as your 90, but it has 16 inch wheels and a 50 cc motor. Very good quad in my book.We have 22 races and probably around 100 hours of practice on this quad with very little trouble.This is one tuff quad and well built.But I hear very good things about the Dinli also.

#838 01 Polini x3 works-Michaels
#838 01 Husqvarna cr 50jr-Michaels
#838 04 Arctic Cat 70-Michaels-70cc airsal head,Hetrick power up kit C,Malossi cdi,reed and cage,clutch kit,Acerbis handguards,ProDesign killswitch,Rebel sprockets,1" wheel spacers on front,19" Holeshot tires on Alum Douglas wheels on front,18" Snowhogs on Alum Douglas on rear.and more to come.

04 Suzuki DRZ 125L-sons
02 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4-mine

2004 PKM Promotions XC Champion (4-6) 50cc open quad
Michael Mussi Jr

"Don't ride faster then your Angel can fly"
"Keep it pinned to win"

Old 11-11-2004, 12:33 PM
"One Wheel Short"
slow day around the orafice I see!

ETON 40cc. My boy got his AT 4 years old, he rides and races it very well. It is still small enough that it won't wear him out real fast, but fast enough with a few very cheap mods that he spanked everyone in his 1st year peewee class up to 65cc. He lapped everyone in three laps in a 5 lap race. the other kids just get put on a machine that is too big and heavy and tires them out. My son is 45" tall and is 43 pounds. See my photo gallery. Bill

The ETON is a 2 stroke, and it is only 120 pounds. I've had no troubles with it at all. Out the door was 1350.00, so it right there too. It also has a remote kill switch as well.

Old 11-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

The Dinli JP50 is a nice starter bike. Wide and low to the ground. Remote kill. I would highly recommend you start him out on it. After about a year, Trade it for a bigger bike after he has mastered this one.

Old 11-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well, again, before you make your choice, I'd recommend looking into the local laws for your state... and also look for some of the neighboring states as well. You may find their rules to be very different. Many states are using the CPSI guidelines as the basis of their laws, and you may find yourself illegal without even knowing it. It pays to check before you buy...

As for the 50 CC class of machines, if they are following the CPSI guidelines again, they should not be capable of going much over 10 MPH no matter what you buy. Although compliance with the class guide is voluntary... Also, look at the terrain and riding area, and since you are wanting to get 4 years out of it, you may want to consider additional requirements.. .flatland today, may turn into hilly terrain or sand tomorrow if you choose to travel.

One of the nice things about ATV riding today, is that you are seeing destination riding areas pop up all over the country... and the sport can be combined with other things, like camping, fishing etc... They are a great way to explore.. so your needs may change accordingly.