Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Decision, Decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 12:31 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decision, Decisions...

Text

Old 11-20-2004, 08:09 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

WOW, that is a real eye opener, thank's for sharing that with us. That is pretty amazing, I am still in shock. It is pretty incredible that they will produce something they dont seem to have the room to enjoy in their own country. This will be interesting to watch. I wonder how long it will take untill we see the next Barry Hawk signing a contract with Dinli or Eton to contest the Quad National's??

Old 11-21-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sort of makes one question where their dollars are spent. It is hard to say I would rather spend them on a company that is at least invovled in the entire ATV sport.. as that seems to offend some.. but as for me, I guess it is the driving factor. The major long term players have been putting money and expertise back into our sport, and even if I have to spend a few dollars more for their products, I don'e feel bad about it knowing their commitment. I would like to see the new players make that same commitment.. but I am also a realist in knowing that it takes time to build the capital necessary to play on that scale. So, I'll cut them some slack for now, but expectations are high, and we will be watching them.... It would be a step in the right direction for them to join the manufacturers consortium and support the training programs in place... I suspect that many of htese will be in the game for the short term, and we will see the weak profit seekers bail at the first sign of financial slowdown...

Old 11-21-2004, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For those who have lots of money, or those who can pay the extra dollar for quality, or those who don't mind paying the extra dollar to be "put back into the sport", they don't mind paying the extra dollar. From a growing sport theory perspective, it sounds great to me too. But, when a 12 year old kid says his dad only has $1,000 to purchase a quad or he/she gets nothing, all the great ideas about getting something better in the long run are "out the window".

For the majority of trail riders, minimum base price for a mini-quad "new or used" is the bottom line. From the white board, I wouldn't mind spending the "extra dollar" either. Putting it back into the sport is a great idea. Like planting a few seeds and hopefully, the majority grows into something huge. But being in a single income family of 5 with debt near equal our capital worth, we can't afford it. I bet many parents trying to pay their daily bills, trying to dig their way out of hole, and save for college / university for their kids feel the same way. Paying $200 more for a quad "hoping" it will be put back into the sport and hoping it will take root, is out of our reach. So, in the majority of trail rider families, it does boil down to the "minimum base dollar of the mini-quad". I keep seeing this message over and over again. re: Many "what's the best around the house / trail mini for minimum dollars???" type questions on many forums.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 11-21-2004, 10:59 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Maybe I look at things from a different perspective but while people are ooing and awing over these new 450's sportsters I'm looking at street bikes that produce a hell of lot more power per cc and start wondering why sport atvers are getting the shaft? If the industry can produce a 30hp 250cc engine, then why the heck are we getting excited about a 40hp 450cc engine? C-dale saw it. But the average Joe continues to buy a toned down engine for a premium price. The big dog's need to step it up.

As far as minis, I guess I just don't understand the loyalty to the big dogs when you can buy a quad with better features for half the price? And I hope that eventually carries over to the larger quads.

I don't begrudge anyone buying a name brand. I own one too! I just think competition wil be good for the sport down the road.

jmo. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

Hey guys, don't get me wrong... what works for me may not work for everyone else. I certainly understand and respect your position and circumstances... Just my personal opinion. I am blessed that I am at a point in life where I can be a little more "creative" with my thinking and spending. Not everyone has attained that.. some may never... but I welcome them all out on the trails just the same. We are all equals out here... and I certainly don't care if you ride brand-x or the color of your bike is paisley... the fact that you are out there puts you in my preferred class of people... and I am comfortable with that. I mean, once they are covered in mud, who cares any way? Let's all have fun... that is my motto.

Now 'legs, I understand your position on HP.. Your opinion is based on your racing experiences I imagine... which is OK.. But I have to say that my personal opinion is that these things are powerful enough now.. So much so, that we are now seeing people ride them beyond the metal's ability to support the abuse they receive... That is scary.

Landings that result in broken axles, broken frames, broken wheels make me shudder. Put more HP in those same frames? Hmmm.. I think I have reached my fear quotient for the moment. I have to admint, way down deep, a certain part of me would like to see one of those really trick Yamaha 3 cylinder two strokes they had in their snowmobiles placed between the frame rails someday.. but I am not sure if it could be ridden to it's fullest capacity... at least not for long... Imagine the head turning wail that thing would have at the dunes... The enviro geeks would have a field day with that widow maker.

The industry follows the money... More utility machines are sold than sport models...it is just laws of economics... BUT, there is a very good aftermarket industry that does fill the needs quite nicely.. You guys are braver than I am at my age... When I get hurt, it can take years to recover, if I do that is.. Still using a cane after my latest escapade, years after surgery on the knee. It is time to leave the need for speed to the younger set... Carry on dudes

Old 11-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

".... I am comfortable with that. I mean, once they are covered in mud, who cares any way? Let's all have fun... "

Yes, I agree 120%. After a good "mud run", who really cares if a unit is yellow, blue or pink. Our sport really is for our kids - no matter what we can afford.

Old 11-22-2004, 10:26 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt Landings that result in broken axles, broken frames, broken wheels make me shudder. Put more HP in those same frames? Hmmm.. I think I have reached my fear quotient for the moment.

I joke around sometime about waiting for that 1100cc quad! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But what I'd seriously like to see in a sport quad is around a 300cc dohc putting out about 40hp, capable of hitting 14,000 rpms, have decent shocks and weigh in about 300 pounds!

Guess it's a little too much to ask? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Gosh, the YZF is pretty close to that.. a little large though. Not sure you are going to come that close to your target weight though. I imagine the metal would be breaking if it were... With that big swing arm and 4 tires, it would be hard to reach that goal...

Old 11-22-2004, 10:59 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Actually, they came pretty close to that in 1986 with the 250r. Kinda wish I'd bought one.

Quick Reply: Decision, Decisions...