Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Winches

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winches

I'm thinking of mounting a small winch 1500 or 2000 lb capacity on my Twister. I ride some atv trails that are steep, rocky and in the trees. I can see that it would be easy to slide backwards against a tree or some rocks and be unable to get out, especially when riding alone. A small winch that could be switched from front to back as needed could be fastened to a tree or rock and pull the kart out.
Has anyone tried this? There are some on ebay for around $50 plus shipping.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-06-2004, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default Winches

I don't know if I can help you, but I hate to see someone with a question and it not get any replys. I don't know anything about your kart, but I know barely anything more about winches. To power the winch, you have to have some sort of GOOD power supply, and a way to recharge it. I havn't the slightest idea of your electrical supply, but my winch on my Sportsman can easly run my battery down in a very short time if used very much or for very long.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:48 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Winches

I am pretty ignorant on this subject also, but asfasasu3 makes a good point about the power needed to run a winch. Sound's like a good idea if you have the necessary power, maybe a extra battery would do the trick.

Old 12-07-2004, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Winches

The battery that's in the Twister is about the size of those that are in riding lawn mowers. If the engine is running while the winch is operating I wonder if that would help? Another battery would add and awful lot of weight. Mike

Old 12-07-2004, 09:36 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Winches

I would think the engine would have to be revving some to generate much electrical power. You may just have to try it and let us know what happen's.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Winches

If you have a 150 Twister as seen in - Press Here - then you'll have to do some electrical output testing and frame structure / stress considerations. Mounting a wench on the front or back might over stress its frame - if it wasn't made to be pulled from that specific location. Especially when doing sideway pulls out of a deep mud hole.

As someone suggestion, give it a try but go very slowly.... May have to do some frame re-inforcements if its electrical system can handle it.

Hope this helps...

Old 12-09-2004, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Winches

The same winch that is on E-Bay is cheaper at Harbor freight (harborfreight.com) Item #91727-1hfa. They are $49.95 with free shipping. If your battery is the same as a mower you can get them in differnt amp amounts. Just get the largest one you can.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Winches

MAMurray,

If you're still thinking about installing a winch on your Twister, here's the technical and wiring
specs on the Warn 1.5 Winch http://www.warn.com/atv/winches/15_ci.shtml

Hopefully, this info will give you a visual on "how to mount it?" on your twister and the possible 12V power drain it may take. For a 11.5lb unit, I'm sure this little winch could be mounted on a few 2 wheel sport quads as well. Pretty impressive looking unit....

Hope this helps....

Old 12-16-2004, 03:21 PM
Range Rover
Default Winches

I've got a come-a-long (I think thats what its called) that has a cable instead of chains. If you don't know what I am talking about, it is an arm powered winch that has more than enough power to pull the cart out and weighs very little. Just strap it down in the buggy and go! Its pretty small and very cheap to purchase, I think it will pull 2000 lbs.

Old 12-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Winches

Kell,

Good point about the hand powered (aka: manual) winch. One of my ATV buddies has one of those in his sports quad. For the last 2 years, he's only had to use it once. When he rides with another, the other quad usually pulls him out. Actually, most of the time we simply slide a 2,500lb rated pull rope over our trail ball and use low gear to pull others out. Most of us don't even bother using our front powered winches anymore. Pull Rope is so much quicker to use. When my buddy rides alone, he doesn't drive very wild. Safety thing. Thus, he's only had to use his hand power winch once. Manual winch certainly resolves the electrical power and where to mount it concerns. Sounds like it might work on a Twister as well...

Thanks for sharing this "obvious solution" with us....