Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Need some Advise from the Wise

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some Advise from the Wise

Hi friends, new in town. I have been doing some reading (about 1500 pages worth) before I decided to post. I'm not new to dirt biking, but when it comes to making things go faster it leave to up to those who know. From what I have read LT80 is the one to ask when it comes to the little ones.

I posted this in the Suzuki forum by mistake I ment for it to be posted here, if the powers to be would be so kindly and delete the other one thanks and sorry about.

Well here it is, my 5year old blew up his KFX 80 which is the same as the LT80 quad at Glamis New Years Day 2005. I took it apart and here is what I see, the cyclinder is scrathced not bad, we might get away with just a hone job. If not how far should I go with the cyclinder bore?, also I'm thinking of porting, polishing and milling the head to bring up the compression. The KFX 80 is a 2003 with a DG pipe and I went one size up on the main jet. My Son has two speeds FAST and STOP, I would like to make it quicker faster and stronger. My Nephew who rides an LT 80 with FMF pipe and Power Core2 and jeted carb and who is a 2 years older and weighs 15lbs more, is able to climb Oldsmobile and my Son is not, he only get about half and thats all the power it has. My Son gives me that look like Dad, make my quad climb. So here I am, not wanting to let me Son down, you know how it is Dads, your kids think you can do anything.

I'm pretty mechanical so I think I can perform most of the mods except the bore and mill, I have read theres a clutch mod, a reed mod, motor mod. I live in California so shiping my motor out I think would be costly, but if someone would be so kind to help a friend and a Dad in need, tell me which way to go and how to perform some of the mods, I would be more then greatful to you.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

If you have the money and time, let LT80 do the motor! The thing will rip afterwards. If I had it to do all over again, I would not have tried the mods myself. I would have went straight to him first. If that option is out of the question, then maybe someone closer to you can do it. (perhaps jack can refer you to someone on the west coast) If thats not do-able, rebore and new piston is very simple to do yourself. Have the bore mic'd to see where its at and bore as little as you can to get a clean cylinder wall. Its easier to mill the top of the sleeve than it is to mill the head. (but either way will gain power and compression) Changing the reeds might help some, but don't think you'll see a huge difference between stock and not. Porting these things is a pain. With out the proper tools its next to impossible. You can open the exhaust up some with out much problems. If possible, raise the ports up just alittle. (its hard to do, you should do a search on here to get some spec's) Blend everthing together better. Other than that, porting might be better off to those in the know. Good luck!!!

Old 01-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The cost of mistakes/wasted time/wasted parts/and the agrivagion that insues far outweigh the cost of shipping.
Right the first time is allways cheaper.
FYI: 3 day air is about $70 one way to Pa. to Cali. I think that's cheap.

Old 01-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I can see what you mean. can I talk to you by phone or e-mail.

Thanks.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

LT80 lets talk shop[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2005, 01:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Lt80 I need your help.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]