Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kids on ATV's size wise

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids on ATV's size wise

I work part time sales selling ATVs and there are a TON of new ATVs being sold EVERY upcoming new yr..

SOME seem to be focusing safety concerns on NOT the rider AND environment,but the amount of damage he/she may do to the quad?This is REDICULES!--A quad can be repaired,injuries hurt and often KILL,regardless if the machine is new or used..Riders can make a bad name for our sport on a new or used ATV by disrespecting the enviro and ATV laws of their State due to lack of KNOWLEDGE or IGNORANCE.

I can get a rider trained and his/her 100 bucks for taking the safety class if they purchase a new ATV because its part of the manufactures INCENTIVE to get your butt into a class in the first place.And BELEIVE me,you dont know that YOU are actually paying for this class,but its IN the sticker price.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MUDDY4LIFE
...SOME seem to be focusing safety concerns on NOT the rider AND environment,but the amount of damage he/she may do to the quad?This is REDICULES!....
Hey now - lets not belittle the young man for speaking his thoughts and how he sees it. One of the biggest mistakes we make is to not listen to what the youth are saying. I mean really really listen and not just hear the words. Thier reality is different from some 50 year old duffers like us but it is how they see things and how they feel about things. We can disagree with the youthful values but that doesn't change their perspective. Wisdom comes from expereince (thats where we got ours) and we can lead youth by example and ask them to follow.

There are way to few good examples for young men in this world. They don't know great men of courage like Franklin Roosevelt or Ronald Reagon or Wernher von Braun because over the last 50 years we quit using examples of manhood and started experimenting with liberal teachings and celebrating the diversity of feelings.

This kid speaks for kids - we are listening for adult logic in a kids world. We need to listen and find leadership solutions that kids will be attracted to. If you want 50 year old duffers in the training classes - keep designing your message for that age group.

My last boss often made reference to the definition of insanity - which is doing the same thing over and over - and expecting different results.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

lapeer,
Glad you're back! When we look at injury stats etc I see that most injuries are from riders in the 14-25 (except DB!!!) age group. AND, this is the age group that is the most resistance to receiving help. OK, it went south for you on this forum but how do we get the word out to these people that they do need training etc. Like I said eralier I have ridden alot in my younger days and have flown many diff types of aircraft and training training training has always been burned into my head. Wouldnt think of not getting it on an ongoing basis.

The friends you have that ride what would it take to get them reading this thread and joining in?
what would it take to get you to a class/ Heck I'll pay for it if thats the problem
How do we stop younger riders from getting hurt and killed which is needless

What you said about used bikes makes a great point so how hard is it going to be to allow those with used bikes etc into trng at no charge, who pays for it etc.

You may not realize it but you have a great opportunity here to make a very positive impact on this sport and keep it going for a long time. We need leaders that have a passion.

We look forward to your reply.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

Hey now - lets not belittle the young man for speaking his thoughts and how he sees it. One of the biggest mistakes we make is to not listen to what the youth are saying. I mean really really listen and not just hear the words. Thier reality is different from some 50 year old duffers like us but it is how they see things and how they feel about things. We can disagree with the youthful values but that doesn't change their perspective. Wisdom comes from expereince (thats where we got ours) and we can lead youth by example and ask them to follow.

There are way to few good examples for young men in this world. They don't know great men of courage like Franklin Roosevelt or Ronald Reagon or Wernher von Braun because over the last 50 years we quit using examples of manhood and started experimenting with liberal teachings and celebrating the diversity of feelings.

This kid speaks for kids - we are listening for adult logic in a kids world. We need to listen and find leadership solutions that kids will be attracted to. If you want 50 year old duffers in the training classes - keep designing your message for that age group.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: notagain

oops, sorry bout dat

Whodat, Well put and truer than you can imagine. Those of us younger are taking over the world and if we dont pass on our wisdom and experience then they stand little chance of succeding!!

Old 02-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

just dawned on me. It really doesnt matter whether you are 16 or 60. Lack of knowledge will get you in trouble. A weird example but a good one is Ozzie Osbourne, way to much money nowhere near enough experience. His age didnt get him in trouble, his pocket book did. We used to see this in aviation all the time. A Doctor with more money than god and very little flight time would buy a high powered aircraft and guess what, in 3 or 4 months he was dead and another black eye on the aviation world. Same thing here.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Not sure I am following the old versus new logic... From what I have lived and observed.. riders are going to ride whatever is between their legs as hard as they can... many times they will find themselves over their heads. As a result, crashes are going to occur. Whether the machine is old or new, the crash monster doesn't care... he will eat anything he can get his claws on, and is always right behind waiting for one of us to screw up.

Not only will training teach you how to operate a machine properly/safely, it should also include instruction in what to do in emergency situations, or if a buddy is hurt etc. Definately they should also learn about treading lightly on the environment. Let's admit it, that last one is a very big bullet that is being used against the ATV industry in general. They apply it against all sizes of machine, all ages of riders.... Until we as enthusiasts can grasp that and embrace the concept of taking care of the environment while we ride, they are going to keep using this big stick against our sport.

What many are preaching is that we have to become better examples, better citizens if you will. We all have a duty to be ambassadors for our sport. A little good will can go a long way.

Manufacturers understand this. Honda has begun to build new riding centers that include environmental studies and research into their training facilities. They now bring in kids from schools to talk to them about the environment issues, and conservation.. Sure it might sell them a few more ATV's in the long run, but it is the start of a new trend that I for one hope the other manufacturers pick up on and support.

Trail design or lack thereof has a lot to do with the damage that is being done too. And I appreciate the new instruction and research going into this area by professional organizations like the American trails organization, Blue Ribbon Coalition etc. With better trails, less damage to the environment will occur. Many states will eventually become involved in programs like this, but it takes people like you and me to sometimes facilitate that action....

A lot can be accomplished if we just get a little more organized and take the first step.

Lapeer... I understad where you are coming from... and I don't have to agree with it, just as you don't have to agree with our point of view. But I listen to it, just like I expect you to listen to what others say here too. You are right, we see things different, because this is not something new for us... We have been here before, felt the same way you do too, but our experience gives us more insight on how to make changes. That is learned one of two ways, either by listening to others that may know a thing or two about it, or by taking a crash course though the school of hard knocks. How you choose to learn is up to you.... but that does not mean what we say has any less worth. Eventually, we all end up in the same place, how we get there is called the road of life.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:45 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: WhoDatInDaMud They don't know great men of courage like Franklin Roosevelt or Ronald Reagon or Wernher von Braun because over the last 50 years we quit using examples of manhood and started experimenting with liberal teachings and celebrating the diversity of feelings.

Thay can still watch John Wayne on Saturdays! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Look up to a guy named Marrion? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Oh well....the Duke's da man! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

Better late than never, Young man you hit it right smack dead center with your post on Chinnese made quads and thier impact in our sport. What does the inexperienced rider do when he or she is riding and the paper backed brakes fail, or any mechanical probllem for that matter. Anyone without proper training AND experience won't know what to do. Sure if you buy a used quad you don't get the course offered to you and alot of those people don't even know about it or cpsc gudleines. Heck I didn't until I went to get my kids their first 50. If I didn't read the magazines out there to research minis at that time I wouldn't have known. So what to do, debate it until the cows come home. It will unfortunatly be big brother who will end up deciding for us.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Whoa, talk about reversal of opinion... I used to bash them.. now I am somewhat tolerant. I will admit, there is a lot of junk coming into the country right now, in an attempt to make the fast buck and then run away... and they are pulling in a lot of unsuspecting owners in their schemes.. but I also acknowledge that there are some companies who once had a very bad reputation that are trying to clean up their image, and produce a better product, and provide better after the sale parts and service.

Be that as it may, I would not go so far as point a finger at them as the root cause for the sharp increase in injuries we have seen. Certainly the sheer numbers that they have brought to the sport is a factor, but clearly the lack of information and training is the major force at work here. Couple that with the gray market's non participation in the CPSC.. and you start to get a new picture.

Love them or hate them, the guidelines do provide a certain amount of protection to un-educated consumers and a point of reference no matter where you reside. With states now using them as a basis for their own programs, the importance of, and compliance with the guidelines is becoming more and more critical...

Quick Reply: Kids on ATV's size wise