Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kids on ATV's size wise

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 12:56 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kids on ATV's size wise

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Whoa, talk about reversal of opinion... I used to bash them.. now I am somewhat tolerant. I will admit, there is a lot of junk coming into the country right now, in an attempt to make the fast buck and then run away... and they are pulling in a lot of unsuspecting owners in their schemes.. but I also acknowledge that there are some companies who once had a very bad reputation that are trying to clean up their image, and produce a better product, and provide better after the sale parts and service.

I appreciate that DB because there really are some good off-brand companies in the mini world. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah look at the polaris for instance, I wouldn't have got one of those before and nowe maybe I would.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: RAMTechRC
My son is only 8 years old, and he rides a Yamoto 150 quad. He has alot of repsect for the bike, and handles it well. It depends alot on the rider. My 5 year old would go crazy on anything too big, and get hurt bad.
I hope I don't get chastised but my tall for his age 7 year old (8 in April) rides a Yamoto 150. I bought it for him last October. He handles it perfectly and he is very safe. I taught him how to brake properly and he can stop on a dime. I've been riding dirtbikes since I was 12 years old (35 now). I think it has more to do with each rider's personality and risk taking level? Some young riders are carefree and will "ride it like it's stolen" on the first try. Some are very cautious and safer than others. My son doesn't do anything out of his skill level and he rides very safe. In fact I try to get him to ride more aggressive so he can get better. I don't know if I'm doing the right thing or not after reading this thread?

Will I get ticketed for letting my 7/8 year old ride a 150cc ATV? I bought the 150cc so he could grow into it. It has a throttle limiter so I can set the top speed. I make the thing go 10mph tops if I want. I don't want to buy a new ATV every few years, that's crazy. I figure this 150cc ATV can last until he's at least 12-13 years old? I hope he can keep riding his 150cc ATV....

Oh yeah and he has full riding gear as well. New Fly boots, helmet, pants, gloves, etc. He doesn't have a chest protector but I can get that for him too. Whatever it takes to be safe.

Old 02-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

SORRY,
but ATVs are NOT a pair of shoes,and you should not treat them as such..Buying an ATV that your son can 'grow into'might be a recipe for disaster?..Unlike the shoes you buy him that are a 'little bigger'than needed,so he can 'grow into'them,,,you must NOT do the samething with an ATV..An ATV should FIT the youth perfectly---PERIOD!

Old 02-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Trailblazer

What would be the ideal heigth and weight for a Yamoto 150 ATV rider? We would need a chart like this to match up the riders correctly, wouldn't you think? Considering how kids grow at different rates, you can't put a age restriction on matching up engine displacement to the age of the rider. I have a ex girlfriend who's 32 years old but she is 5'0" and around 100lbs. So she can ride any sized machine according to these age guidelines? That's idiotic. I'm interested in your input.

I saw a 12 year old kid break his leg last month on a 80's Honda ATC70 3 wheeler. The only safety equipment he had on was a helmet. He broke his leg by getting it caught up in the rear wheel with no riding boots. I believe if he had boots his leg would of not been broken? This is the parent's fault by letting him ride a 3-wheeler and not outfitting him with proper equipment. Considering the old 3-wheeler the kid was riding I'm assuming his father didn't teach him how to ride correctly either? Parent's FAULT!

Can't responsible parents that teach their kids how to ride be considered "rider certified" with this strict age guideline law? Take a safety class with their kid(s) to prove ability? This law is too general to be effective or enforceable. I bet this could be argued in court. But why in the hell would I have to go to court or pay a ticket for something like this? My son knows how to ride his machine and he's safer than most adult riders I see on the DNR trails.

Old 02-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

Why Children Are At Risk Operating ATVs -

In adddition to maturity and decision making capacity, supervision by an adult and proper safety equipment - proper fit matters.

Children cannot maintain position or control without increased risk of falling or being thrown from the machine because:

Leg Length- A minimum of 3 inches of clearance between the seat and the top inseam of the pants when standing on the foot rests is required to enable the operator to maintain balance on the foot rests when turning and riding over hills and rough terrain.

Arm Length - While seated on the machine and gripping the handle bars there should be a distinct bend in the arm at the elbow. Without a bend, there will not be sufficient reach to properly grip the handle bars when turning.

Hand Size - While gripping the handle bar with fingers extended to the brake lever, the first joint of the index finger should extend beyond the brake lever. If it doesn't, the hand is too small to safely operate the brake.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (USCPSC) states that a variety of factors converge to place children at risk as operators of ATVs including:
• Children believe products purchased by their parents are safe.
• Danger and risk are underestimated because of the child's own lack of experience with accidents.
• Children between the ages of 12 and 15 often overestimate their skills, particularly with increased experience.
• Children can easily get into trouble trying to imitate more complex maneuvers of older friends.

As an example - Minnesota has a safety program available to all ages for a nominal fee. Students 12-15 are certified to ride over 90cc machines when they complete the course. Proper fit to the ATV is required. Yes - some have not passed because they dont.

Some states are requireing the person supervising the youth to be certified.

The Minnesota DNR Division of Enforcement administers the ATV safety training program. The course includes ATV familiarization, operating
procedures, ATV laws, loading and towing procedures, ethics, safety hazards and environmental consequences.
For a $15 fee, students who successfully complete the safety training program, riding component, and written test are issued a safety certificate.

There are over 300 certified instructors administering the safety program with numerious training opertunities scheduled during the atv riding season. Classes often fill up
quickly but provisions for additional classes are usually made based on demand. In 2004 over 1000 youth passed the ATV certification test. A average of 8 instructors and just as many other volunteers will spend most of the day with the written tests and demonstrated ability riding component for a group of 25 youth.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

In washington they haven't passed a law YET on age verses cc but it is coming soon and probably out of this session of the legislature.
Go to land and enviroment threads and look for one that has to do with the state of washington, there are about 3 new proposals one good and two very very bad.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, I did hear about the laws changing in WA.

It's iresponsible parents that cause error on the child's part most of the time. The little 12 year old breaking his leg on that 3-wheeler last month at Belfair was the parent's fault. No riding gear besides the helmet. Him and his little brother were about a half mile away down the logging trail where it happenned. I rushed back to where his parents were at the campsite and rushed his father to his injured son on the back of my Raptor. What a crappy parent for letting your kids ride by themselves on death machine 3 wheelers BY THEMSELVES then not even giving them the proper safety equipment. IDIOT! Motorcycle boots are the 2nd most important thing to wear beyond your brain bucket (helmet). Dumb-*** parents like this are the ones that cause laws like this to be implemented. Becasue THEY are not responsible. How lazy and non loving is it for you to sit back at a campfire and drink beer while your 12 and 10 year old boys are riding 1980's 3-wheelers by themselves without any supervision???

I can set the throttle limiter on my kid's quad to whatever I want. I can set it to 5mph max if I want. I usually let it max out at 15mph or 20mph if we're on wide logging/access trails. He usually doesn't use all of the throttle anyway. I sure don't on my beast of a machine (Raptor). He's always riding with me, not by himself or with friends. I see young kids (10-12 yrs old) riding together in packs when I go to Belfair (Tahuya Forest). Why are some parents so lazy to let their kids ride by themselves while they sit back at the campsite/staging area drinking beers or smoking a cigeratte? I would never let my kid ride by himself until he's at least 14 or so and that would be in a limited area where I could visually see him. If you ride with your child they will watch how you ride and learn good (or bad) habits. I taught my son to respect the machine first. When in doubt don't try it. He's fallen off his quad a few times and learned from it. He loves to ride so he didn't make the same mistake again. BTW, falling off your quad or MC is GOING TO HAPPEN. You wear protective equiment for that reason and collisions. I've never met a dirtbike rider who hasn't fallen off their machine. I've done it quite a few times but I don't ride agressive around my son. I don't want him to copy that and get hurt. Kids emulate and try to copy almost everything you do. Be a good example.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: notagain
..... A Doctor with more money than god and very little flight time would buy a high powered aircraft and guess what, in 3 or 4 months he was dead and another black eye on the aviation world. Same thing here.
Bonanza - Forked-Tailed-Doctor-Killer
Barron - Two-Screw-Doctor-Killer

Old 02-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer

whodat,
thats was good, I'd actually never heard those before. Do you fly?

Quick Reply: Kids on ATV's size wise