Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kids on ATV's size wise

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids on ATV's size wise

Jwal,
Yup, thats exactly what I learned from this forum. That 250 has got to weigh a bunch way more than a 90cc. If that things flips on him a helmet isnt going to help much. Its the weight of these things landing on kids that seems to cause most injuries. Sounds like he got squirrely on the throttle and what if that was a 20ft drop instaed of a 5ft tree???

Dragginbut, I know what you were doing so what I said was mainly for others reading and posting. You've helped alot of folks in and out of this forum.

Jwal, can you trade your 250 back in or swing the cost of a smaller bike for your son?

Old 02-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I still own the 90, so I have that one and the 250. I was going to sell the 90 and by a big boy for me but I am questioning my logic on the matter. I could certainly ride the 250 for a season or two and let my son mature a bit more. I'll have to put up with a lot of whinning about riding the 90 but like someone said earlier it's better than standing on the sidelines while everyone else is riding. I just see so many kids on 250 - 400 quads it makes it seem like the way to go. Keep the opinions coming they're certainly helpful. Thanks again

Old 02-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer

throw a mod or 2 on the 90 to bump it a bit to appease him. I just dont think its worht the risk. To be blunt, think how bad you would feel seeing him standing on the sidelines on CRUTCHES or worse. You said he is avergae in ability, set him up on a plan to become a better rider (safety issues included) with the reward being a slightly bigger bkie. This way you teach him more about how to strive for goals and assuming responsibilty. Look abck at some things Dragginbutt put out as far as things for him to learn.

DB, any other ideas?

and thank you for being able to see things in a diff lite, many people cant.

Old 02-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Certainly safety is number one on my list... good riding gear is a must... I figure it is cheaper than an emergency room visit. Chest protectors should be on your list of things to get as well. They spread the shock over a larger area, so the damage potential is less.

As a parent, I have made these same mistakes myself... I guess we all in some way want to give our kids everything they ask for... and many times emotion of the moment over loads our ability to be rational.

One of the biggest problems I see is that up until discovering this forum, many of us didn't know where to look for the information to help us make a better decision. It is apparent that the states all have their own agendas, and just figuring out that mess is enough to make you want to pull your hair out. Did you know that Honda has a brochure available free for the asking that can assist you in grading your child's abilities and determining if they are suitable for the responsibilities that go along with owning and operating an ATV?

Training is number one in my book too. When looking at the death stats, a few conclusions can be drawn. Mainly, there is a huge need for training of any sort. Most of the riders did not have any training. (almost 100%) Lack of safety gear (Helmets #1), and riding bigger machines than allowed per the guidelines and riding doubles all had very high numbers.

If you look at the type of accidents, roll overs, and hitting an object were at the top. That sort of implies that they may have panicked and forgot to let go of the throttle. If you can teach them anything, have them practice release of the throttle any time they get scared or into a situation where they are losing control. It may not help, but it sure won't hurt.

A quick review of all the courses will indicate that the rider needs to practice things like starting and stopping, turning, riding on side hills, crossing logs and streams etc. Those are motor skills.

Pay close attention to emergency procedures. How to hit kill switch, how to operate the lights, how to start it, turn gas on and off etc.... But also take some time before you ride to discuss where to go if someone gets hurt. How to get help etc. I wonder how many of us carry a basic emergency kit in our ATV compartments? A whistle, matches, first aid kit, flashlight etc, are all good items to carry with you if you are going out into the woods.

Have children practice how to get back to the car if they had to, or how to operate a cell phone... All of this is important, and may save YOUR life if you should crash and you are left with a child trying to provide assistance. I bet many haven't thought about that...

All of this information, including the training info and state laws etc would make a great website. I have asked the owner's of this forum if we could set one up, and I would help mediate, but so far have not gotten a response. If you think it is a worthy idea, give them a shout.

Old 02-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

DG,

the cell phone bit is an awesome tip. I have actaully been researching Satellite phones as most places where we ride do not have cell coverage. I have heard of others using small hand crank ham radios tuned to a local freq before riding. A sat phone is very expensive but it just takes one use in many years and the $600 to $700 is forgotten. Most of us would spend that glady on a new tire and wheel setup but will balk at the sat phone. not me. My son and I have begun making a list of items to put in out emergency kits. His bike does not have a rack to carry stuff so I will probably make a small one. I figure a back pack could throw off balance too much as the weight is higher. But we will each have our own emergency kits.

Old 02-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

I learned that one the hard way too. Regarding the now famous crash, I was doing donuts in what appeared to be sand, but it turned out to be a thin crust on top of mud. My older son crossed in front of me and I lifted for a second. The inside rear wheel came down and bit and instant wheelie. First reaction was to grab the bars tighter, which hit the throttle at teh same time, and I was along for a ride after that. Managed to go about 30 ft on one wheel before it jumped into the air and flipped upside down with me still in the saddle with the feet on the pegs thank you..

Thank God I was on the Warrior. that puppy stuck me into the mud big time then rolled off of me. I was paralysed for about 30 minutes. I had to send my son to the truck to get the cell phone. 45 minutes later he returned. By that time, I had managed to regain the feeling in my legs and arms again, and he helped me stand up on the broken leg. I managed to get the bike started, and putted back to the trailer. We loaded up and I drove it home (Son was too young). Unhooked the trailer, and my wife drove me directly to the hospital.

That was one heck of a tongue lashing I must admit... something about growing up, and idiot I remember quite clearly, but everything else was a blur. I got lucky. It could have been much worse. I had just bought my new MX boots the day before. Without them, I would have lost the leg. I did not have a chest protector then.. I have one now. I made sure it is a long style that goes past the tail bone so my entire spine is protected.

Any time your kid says it is too hot to wear one, tell him to imagine the itching he would get in a full body cast...

Old 02-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Aw come on Notagain.. we were just having some fun with Mr. "I know everything there is to know at 16, and I can't possibly learn anything new from you". You have to admit it is pretty funny.. and predictable... The kid is just trying to get a rise, and see if he can have the last word... He is trying to cut on us, but it just makes him look silly. (Not in our league young man..) You are not going to win with someone like that.. so there is no reason to try. He will find out someday how the world spins... for now, let him live in his Wayne's world... You are right... I am bored of this. My feeble mind has lost interest and I think I feel a muscle in my little toe twitch... When you get to be my age, you have to learn to take advantage of every moment something works... I sure hope I can make it to the Fridge..... (Wink, wink)

This has made so happy though starting my day out with a chuckle head teenager... laughed so hard I had to take oxygen....
do you ever listen to people, this is just the kind of attitude i expected from someone like you. no where in any of my posts does it even imply that i said i know everything there is to know? why do "some" old people stereotype like you are right now just because im younger then you, and dont think that you know anything more then i do, just because your older then iam.

now back to the topic at hand.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:09 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally posted by: notagain

.....and lapeer, will you join us????
I guess not, too bad.

Old 02-01-2005, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

now back to the topic at hand.[/quote]

can you read?

Old 02-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

Little man, it is your attitude... and yes you on several occasions implied that you had nothing to learn from a professional instructor who offered to remove all barriers to your getting the proper training. Wise up there sport.. there are a lot of things you still have to learn that go way beyond how to move your butt on a seat and twist the throttle. I think you could learn to listen to what Muddy has to say yourself, but as you said, you don't want to waste your precious time.

You have started to bore me... why don't you go shoot some hoops or something until your voice changes and you can see things for what they are, not from your little boy point of view.

I don't usually like to spank people on this list.. in fact you will probably find that I am the peacemaker and voice of reason more often that not... You on the other hand will only keep coming back so you can have the last word. Thus in that juvenile mind, you can justify it as a win... oh how wrong you are.....

Now run along and play nice sonny... I am tired of this tit for tat and you are fogging up a good thread with your childish dribble.

And no bud, you are wrong about thinking I know more than you..... <U>I know</U>... I know more than you do... someday you will understand the difference

Quick Reply: Kids on ATV's size wise