Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

New Yamoto 150 set up COMPLETED, NOW HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Yamoto 150 set up COMPLETED, NOW HELP!!

Ok, well I just finished assembling the first 150. here are my question so far.

1- The seat on these things do not fit, or am I a complete idiot?
2- there was a small wrench looking thing in the box, about 3 inches long made of tin any idea what it is for?
3- Is the kick starter worthless? There is no room to kick, any ideas?
4- On the kick start side of the bike, there are several brass colored things that look like they are to hold wires and hoses, but
there are none there, are these extra or am I missing things?
5- The Electric choke, are the problems I read about fixed or should I prepare for issues? This first one does not idle well at all.
6- Airfilter box is very loose, and seems cheap, any ideas?
7- If you read this far, THANKS, haha I look forward tp your help. STEVE

Old 01-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

lose the airbox now, and get a clamp-on air filter, uni or k+n, doesn't matter. The air box on these things leak BAD. Kick starting shouldn't take a long throw to get it going so try it out first, move the starter lever on the splines as neede to gain some throw. The electric choke is a joke, never worked on ours, have'nt heard of a fix for this one yet, maybe retro fit butterfly off another carb, have to cross this hurdle yet myself.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:42 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: SNSGRAPHICS
Ok, well I just finished assembling the first 150. here are my question so far.

1- The seat on these things do not fit, or am I a complete idiot?
2- there was a small wrench looking thing in the box, about 3 inches long made of tin any idea what it is for?
3- Is the kick starter worthless? There is no room to kick, any ideas?
4- On the kick start side of the bike, there are several brass colored things that look like they are to hold wires and hoses, but
there are none there, are these extra or am I missing things?
5- The Electric choke, are the problems I read about fixed or should I prepare for issues? This first one does not idle well at all.
6- Airfilter box is very loose, and seems cheap, any ideas?
7- If you read this far, THANKS, haha I look forward tp your help. STEVE
1- it does fit, just feels funny. I put the pins in front in the holes and push forward and down on the back while holding the front of the seat down also.
2- no idea
3-to use my wifes I mounted it up about 20 degrees from flat and it worked. Used it once did not like how it sounded, put it back on facing about 20 deg down. I have jumped started it with my ktm the one time it was dead.
4-I took those off and threw them away, mine had nothing in them either. I did zip tie the brake hose to the frame in a couple of places.
5- I cleaned the carb and have not had any problems with it at all. Fires right up and has a high idle for about 30-45 secs and idles fine. I did have to turn the air screw out 1/4 turn and adjust the idle screw in about 3/8 of a turn to make this happen.
6-It is cheap, but I have not had the problems that others have. I did seal the edges of the foam with grease and have checked the inlet tube a few times and all is well. I can get all the screws out by twisting the box to reach the hidden one. I do plan on installing a uni filter before summer just to be safe and to improve performance some.
7- Your welcome.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks so much for the ideas. Where do I get the UNI filters and/or K&N. Are they shielded in a box? or do you have to stay away from deep water? Thanks

Old 01-28-2005, 11:58 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: SNSGRAPHICS
Thanks so much for the ideas. Where do I get the UNI filters and/or K&N. Are they shielded in a box? or do you have to stay away from deep water? Thanks
I have seen the part # for the K&N listed somewhere in the forum not sure where. The uni I have seen at my ktm dealer on a rack with a bunch of different sizes. I would call a few local mc dealers and ask. If you want to hook up direct to the carb use 1.75 dia filter. I will use the stock hose and a tube adapter with a 1.50 dia filter. I will cut off the flange too. My wife is afraid of water so that will not be a issue for me. Not sure if there would be enough room to put a uni in the stock box.

Old 01-29-2005, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

Here is what I did so far:

1) My seat fits fine, you'll get the hang of it. Or its Chinese and warped out of shape!!
2) Change the oil right away. The oil drain is on the left side. It is a silver 17 mm nut, that is what the 2 sided hex wrench and handle is for. No way to do it without that. While I had it out, I slotted the hex head, so I can put a flat blade screwdriver on it to un-thread it the rest of the 10 knuckle busting turns.
3) You'll get then hang of the kick starter too. Feel for the engagement, and kick briskly. It sucks, but in an emergency it works.
4) I don't kknow about the hose hangers. I used wire ties on mine.
5) No idea about the choke, I live in AZ.
6) Get a K&N #1106 air filter. I also bought the prefilter, but I'll use a baby sock next time.
7) I learned alot from this forum, lets keep it up.

A) Switch the front wheels, it makes a huge difference in ridability. Make sure the rear shock is on the lowest setting.
B) Get some grease and heat shrink tubing, I covered my connections for the water hazards.
C) Blue loctite on everything. I use the solid stick loctite, but I got it for free. I forgot the tierods, and they came loose on the first outing.

I had my 8 year old out for a 36 mile trek to a silver mine, and it ran great, no problems. A little bone jarring compared to my Honda, but it beats walking....

Old 01-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Range Rover

Did you change the main jet now that your sucking more air?

Old 01-30-2005, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider

No, I didn't change the main jet yet. It seems to be running good without that. Plus, its fast enough for my son now anyway. I have him locked down to 30 mph for now.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:32 AM
Range Rover

I was just wondering because that much more air and it will be kinda lean.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

If thats the case, I'll ask my dealer today to get me some new jets. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: New Yamoto 150 set up COMPLETED, NOW HELP!!