Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

communicating

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default communicating

any input on these chatter box's(or any other brand for that matter)....cost...reliability...usefullness...bran d....distance...thanks in advance...A

Old 02-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default communicating

chatter box??? You askin bout my wife?????????????????????????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Range Rover
Default communicating

lol....i was wondering how well they work .....is this going to be one of those things i use like my chest protector or something that sits on the shelf in the shop....

Old 02-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default communicating

We've used the Collett voice activated units for years......started out with the 49mhz and now use the 900's. Always good for line of sight, usually good for a mile or up to two, doubtful after that range. Since I usually ride with my kids, the radios are a "must have" item, almost as necessary as a helmet. As for if you'll use it - depends on how, where and with who you ride. When just my brother and I are riding, I bet we can ride for hours and not say more than five words. They do come in handy for warning about oncoming traffic or hazards or if the lead rider is scouting a dead end trail.

Jaybee

Old 02-10-2005, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default communicating

Originally posted by: wheelinguy2003
any input on these chatter box's(or any other brand for that matter)....cost...reliability...usefullness...bran d....distance...thanks in advance...A
We use FRS radios with the external microhone/speaker. Its enough to call out to hold up or turn left or right or keep going but not much for chatting on. Range is pretty good with the newer ones - they claim 5 miles but its a solid 1.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Range Rover
Default communicating

I tried using the family radio also. I thought it was a good idea. I would tell the kids turn left or right or stop. The first couple times we tried them i was yelling turn right and they didnt hear me with a ear piece mounted in the helmet. I finally got them to stop and asked if he heard me in the radio and he said yes.

What we do now is not use the radio but when we come to an intersection they stop and wait for me to tell them which way to go. So far all last year it has worked out good.

I do like the radio idea. Im going to use it when i get the suzuki back to gether and my wife starts riding it. I will use it for me and her only.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Range Rover
Default communicating

i ended up with the hjc-frs chatterbox....got 2 of them....it just seems so much safer being able to give instructions to my 5 year old son....hes very gifted when it comes to riding but the more advise and instruction on how to tackle different terrain and what not still seems invaluable...thanks for the feed back!! if anyone is wondering...i found them for $149 with everything but the extender(in case you dont want to mount to helmet you can mount on hip) at ridegear.com

Old 02-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default communicating

As a training tool, or used to warn or guide other riders in a group, they make a great deal of sense. I don't know if their effectiveness is as high when there is a great distance between riders. I personally think they are a great tool when intructing novice riders as well. The reasurance of having some one talk you through an obsticle is immeasurable. Hands free operation is a must when riding. The "Chatterbox" brand also has a hand held unit available so you do not have to have a helmet on to be able to talk to Junior while putting around the practice course.

For the cost of a new helmet, or a couple good meals out on the town, it is cheap insurance...

Old 02-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Range Rover
Default communicating

i agree d butt.....the distance in our situtation is not going to be a problem....my son will not be a mile away...period...as much fun as they are these machines are as dangerous...so many accidence could have been prevented with the proper supervision....and i know a lot of people on this site probably dont agree with putting a 5 year old on a 90 pred....but i really am on top of it...

Old 02-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default communicating

Put me down as one who thinks a 5 year old should be commanding a tri-cycle with a puppy following closely behind.
I had a father get down right indignant at the local ATV sales floor when I agreed with his wife that the child did not fit the ATV and he was 5 years old.
And his feet didn't even reach the floor boards. Geeeeesh... at that age these little kids are having crying whining tempertantrums that are no way
an appropriete developement level for driving a quad.

I have had 4 children. None were anywere close to being of proper fit or having the motor and cognative skills to operate a motorized ATV at 5. And I have seen
nothing that changes that opinion from anyone elses kids. So its kind of hard to buy in when so many tell me they have the exceptional child that fits properly <u>and</u> has the competentency to do so.. I'm not saying its impossible. But based on my personal expereince - the probability seems low.

I know full well this post wont change anyones mind and they will stop JR from riding any more - and Im not trying to. But keep it in mind when you start to think that Jr doesnt need to be watched if he stays in the yard or he can ride only 1/2 mile down to grannies house because hes done it with me 100 times. It only takes once.

Quick Reply: communicating