Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2005 predator 90

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 predator 90

Just traded in my boys '03 pred. 90 for a new 2005 predator 90 Dale Earnhardt Jr. L.E. model. He has been asking for the red fendors
and Dale Jr. stickers for his B-day since he first saw the L.E. 90 in the polaris newsletter! So he was very happy to see it in the garage
when he got home from school yesterday[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] He lready burned off 2/3 of the first tank of gas last night! Before he rode it I checked over
the bike...shimmed the front steering knuckles to get reid of the play, and made sure all of the bolts were tight. Is there anything special I should know about the '05's??? I noticed the transmission uses AGL synthetic oil instead of 80/90 gear oil. Has anyone had any problems with the reverse? Oh yeah, the horn doesn't work either... I didn't see anything disconnected... Thanks guys for the help.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2005 predator 90

Being fresh off the truck (sort of speaking), you may want to surf the contents within:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...ord1=checklist

Hope this helps as well....

Old 04-10-2005, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default 2005 predator 90

Great list spike! I have already done those things, and also applied dialectric grease to the spark plug boot as well. He has burned up
over 1 tank of gas now, and we have removed the rev limiter clip and backed the throttle limiter screw all the way off like his '03 was.
I can tell it isn't fully broken in yet, as it still lacks a little of the speed the old one had. I won't let him hold it open much yet, and he's
getting so anxious to see what it will do. Just shifting it to reverse and backing up is enough fun for him for now! Oh yeah, I got the horn to work, I had to remove it and adjust the screw on it the changes the tone... it was too tight. The thing I like most about it is
the spring loaded chain tensioner it has, it is a lot like the one many of you installed yourselves. Also they have added a heavy duty
looking tube style rock guard under the rear swing arm. Should keep rocks from hitting the chain slack adjuster bolt and bending it
like on our '03. So far I would say it is much improved verses the '03, with the chain tensionor, rear rock guard, high mounted coling
fan air inlet snorkel(should help to keep the flywheel area dryer), Reverse, better rear suspension, and softer seat. Also looks like a
slightly bigger battery-hopefully it will last longer! I just hope it is as fast as the '03 when it loosen's up some more.

Old 04-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 predator 90

My son Riley has the Orange Predator 90. It too runs great. He runs it in the Stock limited class. Absolutley stock.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2005 predator 90

Hi all - I am looking at a predator 90 for my 14 year old son as his first quad (I am a motorcyle guy). I really like the predator, but took a test drive and found the rev limiter very frustrating. At the dealership they said there was no way to override the limiter unless I bought an aftermarket CDI.

This seemed extremely illogical. The rev limiter setting was perfect for starting out, but was way too slow (seemed about 10MPH) once skill gets built up.

You guys talk as though there is some clip to remove and a screw setting - this all makes perfect sense. I have seen the screw-type limiter on older bikes and quads.

To be clear I am looking at a 2005 Predator 90.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 predator 90

The stock CDI, with the clip removed, (read owners manual first), will allow the predator to run wide open in forward, but limits the amount of speed in reverse.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2005 predator 90

Thanks - back to the dealership I go - and this time I read the owner's manual for the Predator 90 instead of just asking the sales guy (who was sure that the P-90 was a four-stroke - so we know just how clever he is).

If this turns out to be true, my son will have a very nice birthday present (with clip installed for a few months).

Thanks.

Old 04-26-2005, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2005 predator 90

Originally posted by: drchuck
Thanks - back to the dealership I go - and this time I read the owner's manual for the Predator 90 instead of just asking the sales guy (who was sure that the P-90 was a four-stroke - so we know just how clever he is). If this turns out to be true, my son will have a very nice birthday present (with clip installed for a few months). Thanks.
If your dealer thought the Pred-90 is a 4 stroke, definately read your manual. Also, the dealer is NOT "legally" allowed to remove the Clip from the factory CDI. One of those legal things. If wondering, my dealer loosened the screws from our '03 Pred-90 but did NOT remove this clip. I removed the clip with my own fingers, then he tightened the screws back up.

On the '03 Pred-90, the Speed Controls from my manual are:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...58414130hlYTMR
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...58414558cWLoqD
Note: Select "View Full Screen" to view the compressed small text.

To save you the hassle of re-visiting your dealer, it might be less hassle to read your '05 Pred-90 manual and adjust the speed limitation safety devices yourself.

Hope this helps...

Old 04-26-2005, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2005 predator 90

Hey Spike99 - you are too late by an hour [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

As soon as wrh told me (2 hours ago) that the rev limiter was removable - I went over to my store and bought one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

We will pick it up Saturday when I can borrow a truck. I will do the clip removal myself - it is no big deal and my son is a beginner so I will keep the limiter in place for at least 20+ hours of riding. In my test drive, the limiter was just about right for a beginning off-road rider who is learning to turn, shift weight, etc. I may even use the throttle adjuster to slow to 10MPH for the first 5 or so hours.

Thanks to both of you for the quick and accurate response.