Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

illumination for minis

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 03:25 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default illumination for minis

I've got a LT50 that my kids ride with me on wooded trails and a head light and tail light would sure make me feel better now that it is getting a bit dusty. I am interested in other riders being able to see the my kids. I am a bit of a wiring doofus, so I'm not sure if I can wire something in. There is no battery so do I have a suitable power source to tap from? A brake light would be the icing on the cake. Is there a kit maybe? Anyone else doing this?

Old 06-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If there is no battery, there is no charging circiut. Thus no lights possible..UNLESS,,,,,, An aftermarket company (ricky stator/etc.) may make a lighting kit. They re-wire the stator for lighting (if possible).
Good luck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just and idea, I somtimes use a mountain bike light made by Cat's Eye. They are very very bright. You can mount it on the bars.

Old 06-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've just added an extra battery to our LT80 and TRX90 - just to power the lights. Use a red LED tail light and a white LED for a running light up front. Also wired in a regular 25w light for the front, but keep the fuse pulled as it's only use would be if we got caught out after dark. Except for bright sunlight, the LED's work OK to act as marker lights, it's much easier to see the small bikes when taking a quick glance back or looking in the mirrors. The red is more visable than the white though. I have no clue as to how long the LED's will run on a regular ATV battery - we most recently ran them a total of about 250 miles over a week and a half and there is no sign that they need a recharge. The 25w light will run for a few hours.

If we just used LED's on the LT80, the stock stator can handle the slight load. Extra battery for the Lt is clamped to the frame down low up front while the battery for the Honda fits in the storage box under the seat.

Jaybee

Old 07-01-2005, 04:57 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the responses. I had considered a mountain bike type light before and that may be what I do. I have also thought about a stand alone battery and light setup. My old riding lawn mower has that kind of setup. The starter also uses power from the battery. But that battery is pretty big and space is a premium on that little 50. I may just get a whip too.

Thanks again.