Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

lt 80 help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt 80 help needed

i just installed new top end on son's lt80, it ran great he played with it for a couple of hours, then it wouldn't shut off switch & key in off position it still ran so i pulled the plug wire off & it still ran, i dont know how this is possible?,i then choked it till it died,it did this one other time about a year ago,but not again till recently now it wont start, gets gas, good spark,ps.. it's an 87,pull start,elec start is bad &disconnected second question my daughter also has an lt 80,both of these quads have bad petcocks ,i believe,as i have rebuilt both carbs,and had to install inline shutoffs to keep them from flooding when turned off,i have read in other posts about several people using the banshee petcock,but have never seen the year banshee listed, my dealer sais they are different on diff years, i would like to know wich years work on the lt80. all your help appreciated thanks guys

Old 07-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

come on guys i really need some help here,#1 what year banshee petcock will work??,#2 why would the engine stay running w/ the plug wire off??#3 what should i look for with the starting problem ??,good compression, gas,& spark . this rebuild was my son's b-day present july 2, now it's broke down again and i'm puzzled i don't have the cash to take it to the stealerships& ive gotten great advice from these threads the lt80 petcock is 89.00 vs 21.50 banshee at my dealer but they swear they wont work,5 years are the same on the banshee,if i get the wrong one they wont refund it ,they made that clear. i need your help, LT 80 are you out there??, also everyone i talk to sais it's impossible for the motor to stay running w/ plug wire off ,but it happened there must be a reason.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Range Rover

Could it have been preignition keeping the engine running? Was it running like normal or just sort of not wanting to shut off? Could it be too high of compression with too low an octane fuel? Maybe the plug was so hot (too high a heat range plug) that it was able to keep the combustion going?

I can't imigaine that the spark plug was actually firing with the plug wire pulled off... there's noting to keep the electrical circuit complete after you pull the wire.

Bryce

Old 07-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Banshee gas tanks are all the same, so the difference in the fuel petcocks is that the newer ones (1990 to present year) just work much smoother.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know why it won't start if you have good compression, spark, and fuel. As for continuing to run with the plug wire removed, I would agree that it must be too hot of a plug or too much compression. What plug are you running? I also have pet **** problems and am going to give the Banshee a try. Good luck with your bike.

Old 07-07-2005, 04:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used a banshee petcock and it was fine. you disconnect the vacuum line tho, as there is no need for it (LT80 uses vacuum to suck fuel from the "on" position, wheres Banshee free-flows fuel in "on"). ask for a '95 Banshee petcock, just to give the parts guy a year and #. parts guys aren't mechanics.

Old 07-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks guys,my starting problem was head bolts had worked loose,it now starts fine. i'm using the stock plug from the dealer, bp7es i believe,the one other time i had the problem with it not shutting off,as with this time my son had been riding nonstop a couple of hours,so it was hot,i have been using cheap gas ,87 octane,i guess the plug will get so red hot, that it will re-ignite the cylinder?,i didn't mention before that the cooling,fan shrouds were off this bike,sense i bought it for him,there's a flat cover over the fan that was homemade,i had purchased the covers from ebay, but hadn't installed them yet,i didn't think they were that important,i guess i was wrong, i'll hopefully get those covers/ducts on this weekend,if anyone can suggest a cooler plug that will work on the lt80 i'll try it,i dont trust my dealer ,they sold me all new top end kit w/ wrong size rings,i will order the 95 banshee petcocks thanks alot guys!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]