Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

newby here with lt80 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newby here with lt80 questions

ok folks, this is what i did. i bought a used lt80 stock and it had a bearing type noise when i bought it. i checked it out and turned out it was a crankshaft bearing. so i replaced them both. 1/2 the cost at the bearing dealer. while the motor was apart i decided to go ahead and bore the thing. wiseco piston 51.00mm. shaved the head. after talking to someone at a local shop i was saving my $$$$ for a ct pipe. (looks very cool and sounds great). clutch was also rebuilt by me. (new rollers and grease). when it was fresh i 185#me could wheelie the thing. now after riding it a while. i'd say 5-6 times in the sand here and a few trips down the neighborhood streets my son cant really throw sand. i'm thinking clutch. some folks said take some rollers out? drill? my son has way too much power and he knows it. he raced lt50 and was a champion at a local track. he's 7. he only rides 1/2 throttle. but at a race track i want him to go full throttle. any suggestions other that sending my clutch to someone and paying for something someone else did? d&o is my sons sponsor (daddy and opa) thanks to all. let me knowwhat a poor man can do.

Old 07-09-2005, 12:35 AM
Range Rover

guess everyone took off riding for the weekend. ok well have fun. thinking of going myself.

Old 07-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
Remove 2 of the rollers and see if that does what you want it to.
Sand (lightly) the rear clutch shoes.
You may have had grease go all over.
I realize that Zuki packs the front clutch with grease, I have stopped using grease except for a dab to hold the roller in place during installation.
I also realize your local shop is great at advise and building quads/bikes/etc. But unless they live LT80's, you need to ask in here first. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Recommending a CT pipe and using a Weisco piston when Zuki makes a 51mm piston leads me to thing they are not up to speed with the LT80. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Does it have good low end when cold and gets worse?
How much was the head shaved?
Please do a compression test.
We'll go from there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh Boy! Listen to LT80 for sure. Those little bikes are picky and can make you go crosseyed trying to fine tune them in. I had to end up taking clutches apart several times to get them dialed in. And for sure dont let anyone that doesnt know the little LT tell you what to do to it. Unless you have hands on experience with them then find out for sure on the front end. It can and will save you a ton of time (and some money too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]).

Old 07-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Range Rover

thanks for the reply/info. i was reading some old posts you told a couple of people to take out 2 rollers in the front clutch and saturday when i came home in a bad mood my wife told me to go get in a better mood and i rolled the 80 out into the driveway and started disassembling to remove the rollers. (makes me feel good when i can do stuff to make the kiddo faster) i did sand on the front clutch a little. removed 2 rollers and reassembled. the rear clutch makes me nervous so i did not do anything to it but i did notice that the belt when i took it off was a little loose to when before it made me very angry to get back on. mabey this is my prob. but i went ahead and reassembled the 80. test rode it down the rode and man what a difference. its like taking off in 1st gear and then turbo kick in. back to the subject. when i rebuilt the front clutch it was packed with dried grease and i went to the zuki shop that sponsores my son and they gave me some zuki grease and told me to put a little in. thin coat. so i'm ok there. does it have good low end when cold was your question. and no is the answer. mabey the belt? the head was shaved they said .015. and your final request was do a compression test but i dont have a gauge. mabey i can find one at my work. but highly unlikely. i would really like to know what it is. but i think compression is ok cause it hasnt given us any probs. i said it has a 51.00mm piston but i was guessing. i do remember him at the dealer that sponsors my son say that zuki didnt make this piston and i had to go to a wiesco. sorry for the mistake. mabey it was 51.5mm. or 52mm? i dont have the biggest piston i do know that. as for that im setting here saying go buy a new belt and go from there. bubba 297. the yellow lt looks just like mine that you have. i love going crosseyed. thanks.

Old 07-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

A new belt is not the answer! In fact it will prolly hurt not help (long drawn out reason).Lets use the old one for now...Trust me . [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
The CT pipe is a very hard pipe to tune to, altho, don't think I'm ragging on CT or you,,please.This is why your bogging out of the hole.
Lets keep chatting here and figure out what the next step would be. WE WILL HELP!! It's just getting it tuned in.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
If you did the front clutch, the back will be easy!!
I understand about the piston and your dealer is correct on having to go to the Weisco piston.
And 1 more question,,what's the plug look like (color)?

Ok you guys,, what do you think?? We are tuning this LT to a CT pipe. The head is milled .015 compression should be around 135 IMO.
What's your thoughts on whats next?

Old 07-12-2005, 01:16 AM
Range Rover

a couple of cocktails later. the plug looked perfect after the ct pipe was put on. so we rode it for a bit then one day i took it down the road and aired up the tires and it fouled out so i had a new replacement and it was a updated plug than what was in it. i even went back to zuki and made sure it was what they called for. cause this fouled plug was 1 number and the new one was another. they said it was ok. so i put the new plug in and ran it for mabey 6 blocks came back home and checked it. whiter than i wanted. so i started adjusting the carb. no luck. i had to go from a 92.5 main jet to a 97.5 seems like. 4 jet sizes bigger. i remember 97.5 cause its a radio station here in okieville. now the plug is paper sack colored. good i was told with a little wet around the ring of the plug. ok by pops standards. he's been around the 2 stroke longer than me so i ask him his opinion. i totally love this quad stuff. i took my oldest lt50 and did motor work and stuff and he became the extreme world champ but now the track is a parking lot for mx. bummer. now we dont have any where to tune or race except the sand 45 mins. away. i took the lt out a couple of hrs ago when it was daylight and let my neighbor ride it and he said the rpm's are higher and it feels like it takes off better. but the belt when it took it off the first time was really tight around the washer between the 2 front clutch plates and now its like sloppy. i can take 1 hand and put it over it. then put the other plate (outside far left) on. no prob. ok to fine tune the lt this is what i have done. k&n air filter in the stock air box (we ride in the sand and mud some), bored and shaved, tdr reeds, ct pipe, rejetted for pipe, removed 2 rollers from front clutch. run a 32 to 1 blendsall ratio. we are going to go practice at a track on tuesday night for the 1st time and i'll let you know. by the way. 3/8's mile track what gearing do you suggest? 85cc beg class flattrack.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:22 AM
Range Rover

sorry like i said a couple of cocktails later the main jet is a 102.5 jet. thanks.