Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

SFX110 suspension upgrades/mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 01:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SFX110 suspension upgrades/mods

Hello again, i bought the SFX110 a few months ago for my sons, I put the spacers on, flipped the tires around, but was wondering if anyone had any others mods to do for this crappy suspension. The tires bow so far in when my older son drives it, and it shakes like scarry when drivin fast. Any other shocks?? Any way to add another A arm or something?? Any ideas appreciated.

Old 09-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seen the picture at: http://www.kidatvs.com/RedCat/images/110_SX.JPG

Cool looking mini - I like it.

As per this picture at http://www.kidatvs.com/RedCat/SFX-110.php it shows the youth ATV with veritical position tires. Are the tires tilted when sitting or only when going over hard bumps?? If you can, prop up the front end and check for loose bushings and other worn out parts. Being new, it shouldn't have any "play" in the joints. Only hair thickness movement play should exist. If the tires are tiled, I wonder if it's single A-Arms are bent or if the shocks have compressed a little? On our Pred-90, I noticed its front stock shocks have "settled at rest" 1/4 inch lower. These doesn't sound like much but the result is outward tiled wheels. Check for loose and bent A-Arms and "settled at rest" movements. As per the picture, the tires should be verticial - without or without wheel spacers.

Talk about spacers, I'm not too sure if I'd install wheel spacers on our Pred-90 again. Spacers do widen the front end (my son hasn't tipped his mini since installing them) but spacers put too much stress on its busings and wheel bearings. Next time around, I'd save my limited pennies a little longer and purchase / install +2 longer A-Arms, with off-set longer shocks. Longer A-Arms don't put more stress on its bushings. What's the currently length of your stocks shocks? With the dry weight of your ATV, add rider weight, stock shock length and mounting bolt measurements, you might be able to find some nice replacement / better shocks from a simular brand. If you can afford it, go with Racing Performance shocks (works, Elka, Pep, etc.). Especially if you plan on keeping your mini for a very long time.

Hope this helps...

Old 09-25-2005, 06:53 AM
Trailblazer

Appreciate the response. I may think about fabricating, and welding in a whole new front suspension, as this thing is just not safe as it is. If I had it to do over again, I would of never bought this quad. I got what I deserved by tryin to save a few bucks. Meanwhile my oldest boy rips around on his Honda 250, like "whatya want from me".

Old 09-27-2005, 05:35 AM
Trailblazer

Started fabricationg tonight, will try to post pictures when I come up w/ something. I am basically gonna try to weld in an additional strut tower at an angle of approxx 18-degres to counter effect the abscence of the top control Arm. As it is this quad is NOT safe for any weight beyond say 20 mph. Kickin myself for buying this thing!!