Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Messed up the carb. on KFX 80/LT 80

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Messed up the carb. on KFX 80/LT 80

Well I had posted a couple weeks back on how to get the restrictors out on the KFX 80, and was told how but I didn't know how difficult, well I wanted to take the throttle valve restrictor off and did, took the restrictor off and when reinstalling a gold like washer and the silver pin all fell into the Carb. opening and I can't get in there, I tried magnets tweezers, nothing and to make it worse my son still tried to start it, and of course it wont start. Did I screw up the carb. and now the engine? Or could I just remove the carb. and take out the pieces that fell in, or did they get sucked into the engine? Man Iam bummed and really beating myself on this one my son is all upset and in tears cause I can't afford to take to the shop, and we were going riding this Saturday. Thanks for any help.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:02 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the carb and see if they're still in there. If you can't see or hear them then there's only one place they can go........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I think the needle may be too long to make the curve and into the motor.
I agree, take the carb off and see.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:18 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: LT80
I think the needle may be too long to make the curve and into the motor.
I agree, take the carb off and see.
duh!!!! I guess I didn't read enough into it to see that he was describing the needle itself!!! I must of had my " paying attention to the wife" abilities turned on. That'll teach me to pay attention!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2005, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

ya thanks, tried putting a extended magnet down in there and nothing, have not as of yet pulled the carb. but will try that, didn't think this was a hard task to take these restrictors off or I would have waited. How does the bronze washer stay in place since it's at the bottom and when you put in in to reinstall it fell in with the needle, man my son is upset, I need some help real bad.........thanks for all your replies. Jeff

Old 10-31-2005, 08:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

The spring holds the washer. The washer holds the needle.
I'm confident you'll find the needle and be able to put it together.
Tell your boy not to fret. The ATV Connection has the absolute best LT80 info available on the face of the planet! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
So, your going to find the needle. It goes:::Hold the carb slide in one hand,put in the Tiny lil fiber washer (if you've lost this still assemble),then the needle,then the grooved brass washer.You then put the cable in the bottom of the slide. The cable goes up the groove. compress the spring, move it over and let the spring go inside.
Easy eh?! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Lemme know if you've lost something or don't understand. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2005, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer

You may want to try and remove the reed cage, which sits in the motor opening. Hopefully the needle didn't make it past the reeds. That will open things up a little at least. Good luck!

Old 11-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the replies, the needle and the brass groove washer dropped in the carb., thought I'd wait to pull the carb. and then my son came in inside and said "Dad my quad wont start", my fault did not tell him not to go starting it, Iam hoping that everything is still just sitting in the carb. so when I pull it off the needle and the grooved washer come out, if they are missing is the engine shot? The quad is only 3 weeks since we got it, still new and I go mess it up, really beating myself up on this one.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I still believe the needle wont make the bend. I'm also sure the washer won't make it past the reed cage.
Where in Arizona are you? Close to Phoenix?

Old 11-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

Blazin, pick up a Clymer shop manual for this quad. It's save you headaches now and many times in the future and be the best $20 you'll spend on the quad. Another thought is to go to Bikebandit.com and take a look at the parts break down for the carb, it'll show an exploded view, but it's better than nothing.

Quick Reply: Messed up the carb. on KFX 80/LT 80