Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 High RPM Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default LT80 High RPM Problems

Well, this is an hard one. Basically because we don't know just how fast it is exactly. Guessing 25 may be correct as these only go 30-35 normally stock.
It'd be nice to have another LT to compare to or run it down the road and check the speed with a car speedometer.
But other than that, What about the clutchs? Have you serviced them? A front clutch problem could be the culprit.
You sure did waste alot of money trying to fix this.
WOW[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Your right on the ocean. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the clutch cover off the other night to check them out, but there was a little plastic piece on the front clutch that I could not get off. It looks like it is the gear that drives the oil injection pump. I could wiggle it back and fourth, but could not get it off, and I did not want to pry at it and break it, so any tricks to get that off would be reat, then I could inspect the front clutch. It's wired too, because some days it'll run perfect, like it will acually be fast, then after riding it for a while, my guess would be that it acts almost as if it is draining out the bowl. Like I said it's been doing this since I got it. I have clear fuel lines on it, so I can see that there is no air bubbles in the fuel line, and it is getting a constant flow of fuel.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Hrumph[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
That black plastic piece just pulls off. Donno why it's stuck. It's recommended to leave that off and run pre-mix fuel.
You could pull the flywheel and sand the stator/flywheel. That has helped before as it can get rusty.
I'm correct in thinking that it did this with the stock pipe and stock carb?

Old 12-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, well that's good that the little piece is supposed to just pull off, i'll give it another shot. Is the flywheel on the same side of the motor as the clutches?? Yes the machine did the with the stock exhaust and stock carb. When I first got the quad and it was doing this, I immediately figured the carb. needed a cleaning. So I pulled it off (stock carb.) and the 3 little holes at the bottom on the inside front on the carb. were all gunked up, so I cleaned them out real good, thought I fixed the problem, but I didn't, so that is when I went crazy and started dumping money into it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 12-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I feel for ya dude [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
The stator is on the other side under the fan. You'll need a puller.

Old 12-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer

Lt80 is your man on making lt 80 to fly. Let him do his magic on the cylinder, clutch and reed cage. The money is real spent. The kid will love it.

Uptmor250r

Old 12-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I'd be really happy just to see him/us figure out this problem. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
The cleaning of the stator and/or clutch maintence may tell us alot.
Hey I know,, lets talk rocket science here,,,could this be the stupid spark plug cap/wire???? They are allways loose anyways and need to be duct-taped down. Boy, I sure hope he's checked this. Prolly should have been one of the first things to look at.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
LOL

Old 12-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

You know what?? The funny thing is that earlier, I pulled the spark plug, took a look, nice "beer bottle brown" color, and I noticed there was some like gunky green stuff on the top of it where the cap clips onto it. I sprayed the cap with some brake cleaner, and wiped it clean and dry with paper towel, and used a pen to get in there good, and suprisingly, the thing has ran better than it ever has [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] only stumbled about 2 or 3 times during the 15 mins or so of riding. So I think we might be on to something here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, so I found another problem before. My head gasket was leaking badly. The whole inside of the plastic case was cover with an oily-gunky mess. So I pulled the head off, cleaned everything up, and put the head back on without the gasket. Ran better seemed to be more snappy in the low-end. But the top-end problem is back.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:25 AM
Trailblazer

I am having the same problem and hope I can shed some light here. I have the FMF pipe and silencer (loud) 20mm carb KnN air filter outer wear speed gear/work shocks/ mile head .030 port and polished cylinder .050 mod front and rear clutch and all the other cool candy for my kid. Just rebuilt the bottom end replaced main bearing. And I have a good snap off the line good mid range and pretty decent top end. The problem i have is when my son rides this machine at full throttle for awhile it starts to sputter and starts to die (as if it running out of gas). I have adjusted the float bowl and have moved the sirclip on the neddle to its fullest distances (moving the sirclip helped). My next thought is the fuel pitcok, I just replaced it about a season or to ago. I am now wondering if the stock fuel pitcok is having a problem keeping a constant flow of fuel to the carb at top speed. i have been running the quad with the pitcok on primer that way I get a constent flow of fuel. But the LT still sputters once in high speed for a long period of time. I have been reading how people swap the shee pitcok and tos the LT pitcok that is my next idea on the sputtering. Have you tried to run your LT with it in the prime position to see if it fixes the sputtering at top speed?
Its nice to read that I am not th only LT owner encountering this issue.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: LT80 High RPM Problems