Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 High RPM Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 High RPM Problems

The only way we have ever ran the LT was in prime. It'll run in all the other positions, but by the "butt meter" it seems to have a little more zip when ran in prime. But from the awesome help I got on here, and what I found myself, was my headgasket was leaking a little bit, and other other problem "LT80" said that it might have been the spark plug cap and that it might need to be taped down because they are a little loose. Sure enough, that was the case, and I taped it down with some duct tape, and BANG, problem is pretty much gone, and it is running perfect now. So, with the advice I was given, try and duct tape the spark plug wire down, and see if that helps out.

Old 12-31-2005, 02:40 PM
Trailblazer

hey had the same problem. throw a 105 main jet in it and while your in there discard the rubber peice around the main.

Old 01-01-2006, 04:05 AM
Pro Rider

I have one doing the same. Ill try the spark plug cap thing tomorrow. Ive changed the reeds and the carb out and it still wont open all yhe way up sometimes. I hope thats what it is. Thanks guys. By the way does anyone have an extra tank. Im building one with my son and it has a purple tank. Need blue or black. PM me if you have one

Old 01-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ZukiSu
I am having the same problem and hope I can shed some light here. I have the FMF pipe and silencer (loud) 20mm carb KnN air filter outer wear speed gear/work shocks/ mile head .030 port and polished cylinder .050 mod front and rear clutch and all the other cool candy for my kid. Just rebuilt the bottom end replaced main bearing. And I have a good snap off the line good mid range and pretty decent top end. The problem i have is when my son rides this machine at full throttle for awhile it starts to sputter and starts to die (as if it running out of gas). I have adjusted the float bowl and have moved the sirclip on the neddle to its fullest distances (moving the sirclip helped). My next thought is the fuel pitcok, I just replaced it about a season or to ago. I am now wondering if the stock fuel pitcok is having a problem keeping a constant flow of fuel to the carb at top speed. i have been running the quad with the pitcok on primer that way I get a constent flow of fuel. But the LT still sputters once in high speed for a long period of time. I have been reading how people swap the shee pitcok and tos the LT pitcok that is my next idea on the sputtering. Have you tried to run your LT with it in the prime position to see if it fixes the sputtering at top speed?
Its nice to read that I am not th only LT owner encountering this issue.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
I'm 99% sure its the FMF pipe. I basically have all the same mods as you and when I removed my trinity pipe for some flange work and put the FMF back on, it did the exact same thing. Good bottom and mid range but flat top end and when the motor got running hot it would sputter (but not stall). If you still have the stock pipe try running that and see if it does the same thing. With your mods, I would highly recommend you go with a trinity or hetrick pipe. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The Trinity pipe and the Hetrick look the same but have a difference. In my testing the Trinity gave the best low end responce and retained every bit of top end.
I fought for years to shave .01 second off my test patch. The Trinity was .03 faster than the Hetrick. Monster results if you ask me.

Sputtering at top usually means that it needs a bigger main jet.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey Jack,

I think I have an extra Trinity pipe here. I wasn't sure what the other pipe was, but it does look a Trinity and they said they bought whatever you told them. But I really don't know..

So, since I have it lying around would it benefit at all if I threw it on the stock LT ??????????
I've got Boyesen power reeds, 4 front rollers, rear shoes at 175, uni-filter, run 32:1 pre-mix......

If so, where should I start out with the jetting............

Old 01-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer

Is the shee pitcok a bolt on or you have to mod the pitcok to fit. I changed out the cdi/coil no change, i cleaned the carb again. I'm working on to change out the stator. Jack what spark plug cap do run?
uptmor250r

Old 01-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Trailblazer

The shee fuel pitcock bolt right up no mods needed. I also spoke with Midwestmini who informed me that the 20mm carbs come with 98 main jet that needs to be bigger. It was suggested to start at 105 main jet, the kit comes with 5 jet sizes ranging from 100 to 110.
As soon as I recieve them and I am able to work on the LT I will post the results.
Thanks guys! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's funny, I ordered the 20mm DG Carb. kit from midwest, and it didn't come with any extra jets [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 20 mm came with no extra jets,,,,,, and to make matters worse, it had an 89 jet in it.

Quick Reply: LT80 High RPM Problems