Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Making spacers

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 02:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making spacers

Does anyone see any concerns with changing out the lug bolts on a little Race Way XL50 to longer bolts and using washers to push the wheels out a bit ? I would think if the washers are the right size for the bolt that getting an inch on each side would work. Any thoughts ? Just wanting to widen the stance but still stay safe. I would think with no more HP/torque on these little 50's that it should still be safe..........have I lost my mind yet ? Thanks

Old 01-12-2006, 02:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Making spacers

Try it! I can tell you've pretty much convinced yourself already.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'd go with some good hardened grade bolts(more shear and tensile strength) and try it on yourself first. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

There are spacers out there to buy, but that wouldn't be as fun.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2006, 10:05 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Making spacers

Welcome to the forum Iceman3105 and doitWFO, I think it sounds like a good idea. i would use grade 5 or better bolts like doitWFO says and keep a eye on them for a while until they settle in. Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Making spacers

It'll work just fine.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Range Rover
Default Making spacers

Spacers to buy for the 3 lug pattern on the Sunls? Please post a link.

I like the washer idea but 2" would be nice and for that you'd need something solid all the way around.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Making spacers

Remember, the more width you have, the greater the stress on the suspension. I bent my yamoto a-arms due to jumping with a wide front end.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Making spacers

Looks like your doing this to a lil 50, so I don't think you'll have a problem. If you are not building it up and your kid is going to race and jump the crud out of it, you won't have a problem.

Before I bought front-end extenders, I widened ours out kind of similar to what you are saying.

But, instead of using washers to space it, I used threaded bolts and put about three nuts to space it out, then a washers behind the wheel. Depending on what you are doing with the lil thing, that should work just fine. I probably wouldn't go any more than 3 or 4 nuts, before going to real spacers.
We raced our LT with this setup, and never had any problems....
Just doing the three nuts on ours made a huge difference, I'm sure your lil rider will have no problems.

Good Luck

Old 01-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Making spacers

Thanks guys...... I knew I count on this forum. Lurked here a while before I joined.
My lttle guy is just 5 and I dont even have at full throttle yet. I just noticed on some turns the rear wheel wants to pull up a bit. I believe that a slightly wider stance will cure some of this. No jumps anytime in the near future. I teaching slowly. the last thing I want to do is push before he ready OR allow him to out run his abilities at this age. I want him to learn it ride it properly and learn to enjoy this wonderful sport. Live to ride ... not ride to live !
Thanks again everybody !

Old 01-13-2006, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer
Default Making spacers

Just make sure whatever you do you use something that is uniform in width. I know washers are never truly the same width and at higher speeds you might get wicked vibration because of it. (Just food for thought) I'm thinking of doing something similar but instead of washers I was thinking of getting some aluminum stock (or nylon). I’d cut it round (to fit behind the wheel) and then cut out the space for the axle and lugs to fix through. That way I know the whole surface is more of a uniform size. Let us know how the washer idea works though!

Old 01-13-2006, 08:36 PM
geo
Trailblazer
Default Making spacers

if you have access to a lathe, make the spacers out of round stock, cut to length, with a fairly close size hole through them. washers are sloppy in both width and ID. it's still cheaper than billet spacers and a much more bullet proof solution than just studs and washers. good luck!

Quick Reply: Making spacers