Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

kazuma light kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kazuma light kits

i pulled the lights of the falcon 110 and saw that they were 55w. made a trip to walmart, bought a 4" red led running light and pair of 55w oval off-road fog lights, a bit bigger than a golf ball.

the kazuma's front light brackets held the new fog lights perfectly and the new and old lights have the same connectors.

i removed the battery, and drilled a 5/8" hole smack-dab in the center of the battery compartment (from the back). took the led running light, added about 3" of 12 gauge wire (black and white). i ran the new wire though the new hole i the battery compartment, followed the electrical harness under the seat and up to the front of the machine. hooked up the white connector from the running light onto the with white connector of the left head light, hooked up the black connector to the black connector of the right head light (ran the tail light wires thorugh the little bullet connectors of the head lights and folded the wire back and around the bullets).

to make sure the running light would be watertight, i cut some thin closed-cell foam to size, then screwed the running light and foam to the back of the battery compartment. i cut the screws inside the battery comparment with bolt cutters to make sure they won't puncture the battery. re-installed the battery, added some more closed cell foam inside the batter comparment between the battery and the screws.

total cost = $30 ($15 for the fog lights, $13 for the running light) i used the extra wire in the fog light kit for the wire extension from the running light to the headlights.

time involved = about 2 hours (less than one hour doing the actual work, a bit more than an hour in planning).

the bottom line - new front lights are easily twice as bright as the stock lights, the tail light is great, and all run off the stock light switch.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Trailblazer

i should have read spike's comments more carefully....

even though the stock kazuma head lights are 55w, the combination of the new 55w head lights and the led tail light drain the battery. so, next weekend's project will be to find some h3-35w bulbs and do the change over.

i'm just glad i learned this lesson while the kids were riding around the house and not on the trail.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:40 AM
Trailblazer

the latest (and hopefully final) chapter of the light saga......

i dimmed the bulbs down to 35w and still had problems. i ordered a new battery and then promptly blew one of the new bulbs, so reinstalled ONE 55w. i directed the dimmer bulb for a 'low beam' effect, and aimed the 55w for a higher beam.

after two months of riding, both daytimes and with the lights, all is working like a charm!!!!

Old 05-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Trailblazer

Not sure what the power output is on a small quad, but I would definitely go with a red LED marker light for the rear. Easily visible from 100' and very low power draw. Save the amps for the headlight.

Do you need two headlights or would one be OK. Grab a pair of 55 watt driving lights from harbor freight or walmart and just install one. The electrical wasn't designed to run 110 watts of lighting. At 12 volts, 110 watts draws about 10 amps, probably OK, but a single 55 watt light only draws 4.6 amps and would be much easier on the system.

I have a small lawn tractor and like to mow in the evening during the week so I have my weekends free. In the early and late mowing season I usually finishing up at or after dusk. For safety, I installed an 8 LED red marker light on the back of my tractor. Almost no power draw, and it keeps me visible. I also installed a 12 LED light on my Jeep as a third brake light. The stock light was blocked by my 33" spare tire, so this worked out well for me.
3rd Brake Light Picture

Doug

Old 05-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

the kazuma lights are 55x halogens should be able to find anywhere from 30 to 55w replacement if ya wish with out actually changing the housings out... My boys light seem to be bighter than my banshee's.. He has no taillight yet..
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]