Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Lt 80 Engine/frame bushing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 01:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt 80 Engine/frame bushing replacement

I've gained alot of help from reading these forums and wanted to return the favor by sharing some tips for replacing the engine and frame bushings. I replaced mine tonight and once I figured out what tools to use, it took me about 20 minutes to replace all 4 bushings.

Here we go........

The bushings in my frame bracket were easy. I removed the bracket that attaches to the frame and the motor. I "think" I used a 7/8" socket with a 6" extension and drove those out with a hammer. Drive the new ones in with a 15/16" socket with 6" extension.

The bushings on the crankcase/motor were the ones that needed some creative engineering. A Dremel tool and a reciprocating saw was needed. I used the Dremel with a Dremel 1/8" high speed cutter (part # 194)and drilled holes into the rubber. (A drill with a 1/8" bit would probaby work too.) The holes were drilled right next to each other. The idea is to remove enough of the rubber so you can pop out the inner metal part of the bushing that the bolts rides in. Once enough of the rubber is removed, drive out the inner part of the bushing. Go to Home Depot and buy a $3 Blu-Mol Xtreme 6" Wrecking blade with 6 teeth per inch (6tpi) for your reciprocating saw. With the inner part of the bushing removed you have room to put the blade in and cut the outer part of the bushing with ease. Just be very careful not to cut into the crankcase because it will cut through the bushing quick!. The bushing will either fall out or pop out easy after cutting through it. I cleaned out the hole where the bushing sits with carb cleaner. I put some anti-sieze around the outside of the new bushing. I took a 15/16" socket with a 6" extension and drove the new bushing in. Make sure the bushing is lined up properly before driving it in. I smeared some grease on the new bolts, and drove them in and BAM....I'm done!

Hopefully this helps someone...........

Old 01-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt 80 Engine/frame bushing replacement

I forgot to mention, it was not necessary to remove the engine. This was done with the motor in the frame.