Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Is it my starter???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it my starter???

Good morning ya'll. Got a problem with a KMZ 150. Won't start. Acts like the battery is low on juice. You know the sound, rrrrRRRrrrr, rrrrRRRrrrr. Now if I pull the plug the thing will turn over. Almost as though my starter doesn't have enough a$$ to overcome the compression. Is there a way to check these starters for torque? Called several bike shops and they all say that all they do to check the starter is put juice to it and see if it turns over. (That's until I tell them it's a Redcat and then they just tell me that "they don't work on those") . I know it does because I pulled it from the motor and hit the start button and it spins freely. I doesn't jump all over the place like a regular automotive starter when power is first applied, but it spins. I guess my question is, Is there a fool proof way to check these? Or is there something else that could be causing my problem? As usual, all help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 02-13-2006, 01:15 PM
geo
Trailblazer

if the starter doesnt turn it over fast enough, then either the motor has too much friction (for any number of reasons: too much compression, siezed piston, etc), the starter isnt getting enough voltage, or the starter is shot.

if the motor seems to turn over reasonably well, then check the voltage AT the starter. it won't be 12v when you hit the start button, but it shouldnt be much less than 7 or 8 either. if it's too low, then either the battery is low/weak/shot, you've got a bad/dirty/corroded/loose connection or the starter windings are shorted. If the starter brushes are worn, i'm thinking then the voltage at the starter would be normal to too high (too much resistance across the starter). i think a normal starter resistance ought to be constant at less than an ohm. (??)

Old 02-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Geo, I'll check that out tonight and let ya all know what I find.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer

Finally solved the problem. Took the battery back to the automotive store where I purchased it , they hooked it up to their charger and it showed it only had about 35 cold cranking amps. Had them charge it and it got up over 200 CCA.
In the mean time I changed the regulator. Now that I put the battery back in it fires right up and runs great. Here is the strange part (to me). It appears the regulator does not charge the battery until the engine is ran above idle rpms. If this is not the case someone please correct me. Also the headlight on this atv has never worked until now. Does a bad regulator have an effect on the headlight working? If anyone has a clearer understanding on the electrical working of these things please feel free to inform me. Thanks to all for the responses. Jeff

Old 02-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

keep it hook up to a battery tender jr and you won't have any more battery issures,

Old 02-16-2006, 01:05 PM
geo
Trailblazer

200 CCA is huge!

the stator's output is a function of rpm. low rpms would mean little if any output, especially if your stator is getting weak. my brother's kid does a lot of tight woods riding where it's difficult to keep the revs up, and he has to periodically recharge his battery.