Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

MWQ gets a Jetmoto 200 quad!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MWQ gets a Jetmoto 200 quad!!

WDB,
I had a type-o in previous thread. I meant to say Where'd u buy your "HPD" chain tensioner?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
From,
NMB
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-10-2006, 01:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey 'NeedMoreBeer', where in FL are you located? I'm in Deland about 20 miles west of Daytona. You can get a chain tensioner here: http://www.hpd-inc.com/misc.htm

As soon as I get all my mods done, i'll take pics and post the update.

I've already been kicking around the idea of doing some engine mods, but I think i'll leave it stock for now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Still, I know I can get about 25% more HP out of an engine like this by just milling the head-port/polish, rejetting, and changing the exhaust head pipe. Maybe i'll see how much I can get another engine for, and do all the mods to it so I have the best of both worlds. Ideas - Ideas!

Old 05-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Trailblazer

WDB,
Hey Thanx for the web link dude! I'm in the Palm Bay area about 1.5 or 2 hours south of u. I'm in a part of Palm Bay where they r still developing the neighborhood, so there's lots of trails near my house. Unfortunately, most of it isn't legal to ride. I heard cops can fine riders up to $500 for riding where they are not permittable.......IF they get caught that is.
I checked out your pix. That is one mean steel cage dude. Looks like pretty beefy packaging. As far as assembly, is it simply bolting on the handle bars, wheels, changing the fluids, and hooking up the wiring kit? I'm simplifying it, but I'm curious how much of the quad was already put together. U had a good top photo after u uncrated it. Keep posting your 200 pix, it's encouraging me to get one too.
I only wish the Jetmoto came in the color black or something dark. I'm not a big fan of red, although the blue would b my 2nd choice.
FL Weather; This morning wasn't so smoky, WE GOT RAIN!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Later,
NMB

Old 05-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer

I mad a misstatement. I said the Jetmoto didn't come in black, but upon searching Racewayatvs website I see it does. I must have seen a 200 on ebay under a different dealer or something offering ONLY red or blue. My bad.
Post some pix of your mods for me. Even the minor tweaks and fixes u post will help me when I unpack mine. Your advice for tall riders scares me a little. I read the threadabout the quad having the front end fly up when your dad rode it. I'm a tall dude, but I may take a chance on this quad due to price. Maybe if my cooler is full of brew and ice it'll weigh it down huh? Kidding.....
Later dude.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 05-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

'WhoDatBe's HPD Chain Tensioner mod for his Jetmoto 200cc ATV:

So, here's my 'Mod the chain from coming off your Jetmoto 200 after jumping - FIX'. You can see the pics I took here:

www.monsterscollectibles.com/jetmoto

When I got the chain tensioner in, I quickly noticed it would not go on the way it was intended to, I assume because this was designed to go on a Polaris. heh. That was quickly fixed by removing the bolt that holds the wheel the chain rolls on, and reversing it. This makes the roller run almost directly underneath the bracket that bolts to the frame.

If you look at the picture on the HPD website: http://www.hpd-inc.com/misc.htm

And then compare it to my picture: http://www.monsterscollectibles.com/...o/dsc01344.jpg

You will see what I did. This was done in order for the roller to line up with the chain, as there was a huge off-set otherwise.

The rear wheel will need to be removed at this point.

Next, after a little time deciding the best place to put the tensioner, it made the most sense to put it in the center of the swing arm. While this might create an issue in the future with the strength of the swing arm on that side, I gave it a good testing once I was done, and I saw no signs of weakness (discussed further below). The bracket fits perfectly right between the welds of the strengthening bars in the center of the swing-arm (AKA 'SA' from here on out) which helped greatly in getting it all aligned.

In order to get the bracket aligned properly, my Dad and I devised a way to figure out the exact proper placement for the holes to be drilled. Of course, this is much easier with a jig, but we are not a full-on machine shop. So, after I found the exact spot that the braket was going to bolt by having the roller-wheel wedged between the chain and the SA, I used a straight edge to mark the outside edges of the bracket on the top of the swing-arm, so that I could use those marks to know the exact placement on the front of the SA - front to back. Then, using the top edge of the SA, and a tool used for sheet metal work (that I will try and remember to take a picture of today), I scribed a line down the SA to use as the center line to know the 'height' of the bolt holes. Next, aligning the outside edges of the tensioner bracket with the vertical lines made to know front to back positioning, and the bolt holes with the centerline to know horizontal positioning, I scribed a mark on the centerline horizontally to know exact center location for the bolt holes to be drilled.

You can see all of these marks in this picture: http://www.monsterscollectibles.com/...o/dsc01346.jpg

IMPORTANT Hardware Info: The bolts, bit and tap that the tensioner came with, can not be used. They are intended to be used to attach the tensioner to a Polaris frame right behind the engine. I needed to through-bolt the tensioner to the SA, so I bought (2) Grade 8/8.8 - 6mm x 1.0 x 40mm-long bolts, along with 2 flat washers, 2 lock washers, and 2 nuts at the local hardware store. Also, if you don't have a drill-bit set, make sure you pick up a bit that is just a hair-bit larger then the bolt's OD, along with one that is about 1/2 the OD at the hardware. This will all cost you about $5.

I then took a punch and created a drill point, and first drilled a hole in the front side of the SA with a bit about 1/2 the size of the finished hole so if I had made a mistake, I could correct it when I drilled the larger hole. After the 2 front holes were drilled, my Dad 'eyeing' the drills position, along with my own eyes, we did our best to make sure the drill was 'straight' through the SA on both axis. After drilling the holes with the small drill bit, and seeing that they were right on, I drilled the full size hole, which is just a few thousandths larger then the OD of the bolt I used.

Then 5 mins later of bolting the tensioner on, and it's done! The last few pics show different angles of the finished install. It puts the chain right at the outside edge of the tensioner's roller. At first I thought this might not be a good idea, but then I thought, once it wears out the outside edge, i'll just flip the roller around and burn the inside edge out! 2 Rollers for the price of one! I still might shim the roller out just 1 flat washers width to give it just a little more roller to ride on, but after riding it for about an hour with no issue, and even watching it work while I was riding along, I don't think it needs anything.

As far as jumping, you ask? I went over every bump, hill, and full on jump I could find (much to my back's dismay!), no issues what so ever. I didn't so much as hear a single chain slap to the SA at all. That was common place before, and if I would hit anything higher then a 1ft jump it would throw the chain every time. Not any longer!

This is a must-do mod if you plan on doing any serious jumps or bumps. As mentioned above, the only real concern I have is weakening the SA from bolting the tensioner through it. If I see the slightest signs of a crack, I plan to weld a flat piece of metal to the top and bottom of the SA right at the tensioner. I will update this mod if that does arise. But, until then, i'm just going to jump until something breaks! LOL!

'WhoDatBe' AKA Ken

Old 05-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

WHB,
Dude, great pix. Sounds like u created a good mod, time will tell right? I was definitely wanting to use this quad on jumps, so this mod would prove quite useful to me.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 05-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Trailblazer

Hey! I finally located a review on the Jetmoto atv. This link will take u to it, but it’s only for the Jetmoto 110 quad. It’s a positive review of the machine and they show some decent pix of the crated quad with close up shots of it all assembled.

http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/....jsp?id=190976

Quick question for u; If u compare a 5 spd manual quad with an automatic or semi automatic quad using the same motor, is the 5 spd manual faster. I read online on a sellers website “Questions to the Dealer” and a buyer inquired which 200 size quad he was selling had the best acceleration and top speed. The dealer stated the 5 spd manual was faster off the line and had higher top speed. Is this true?

Old 05-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: NeedMoreBeer

Quick question for u; If u compare a 5 spd manual quad with an automatic or semi automatic quad using the same motor, is the 5 spd manual faster. I read online on a sellers website “Questions to the Dealer” and a buyer inquired which 200 size quad he was selling had the best acceleration and top speed. The dealer stated the 5 spd manual was faster off the line and had higher top speed. Is this true?
Hey 'NMB', there is no question that all things being equal, a standard primary drive(hand clutch) compared to an automatic( be it either CVT or common-auto) or a semi-auto - the standard will always have more HP which would mean it would be faster. Now you could make any of the bikes quicker or faster then the other by changing sprockets, reducing weight, changing tire diameter, etc... but the amount of weight put on the crank shaft by way of the semi-auto or auto clutch set-up for that style primary drive will rob the engine of crank HP. So, the standard clutch will rev quicker, and produce more HP at top RPMs.

If you are looking to make the bike go faster(top speed) with whatever form of primary drive, the easiest way is to change the sprockets, assuming the engine has enough HP to pull it.

-WDB-

Old 05-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer

Hey man,
I found a local ATV dealer who sells Kazuma quads assembled and ready for p’up at a reasonable price. He sells size 110, 150, and 250 Falcon ATVs. The 250 is an adult sized atv (L68” X W43” X H43”) (Seat height is 43”) it has CVT with reverse. The quad already has a cable tensioner on it and the frame fits me well. Even though I like the Jetmoto 200 5 spd model, I can get this Kazuma with bigger motor, bigger frame, and pick it up in person (already assembled). I’d STILL give her an oil change, double check all wiring, fasteners, and lock-tite the bolts. If Raceway sold a Jetmoto 250 sport model, I’d be a toss up for me. I actually prefer a manual shift over auto, but I’m 6’-5” and I’m concerned the Moto 200 mid size quad might be too small for me.
I got quick question for you. I’ve been seeing many used Kawasaki 250 utility quads between the model yr 2000-2003 for around $2K. Every other Jap brand is priced about a $1K+ higher. Is Kawa lower on the totem pole as far as quality? Certain used Polaris models r cheap too.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 05-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

NMB, if I am under the correct assumption that you are buying a quad to 'sport ride' as I call it. Meaning, some jumping, hard cornering, fast accerlerating, wheelies and the like, you will, for the most part not be able to do any of those things on that bike. I test road the very same one and it's a pig, in my opinion. The CVT robs at least 25% of it's HP right at the crank, so there isn't as much bottom-end HP, it's all torque since the CVT is designed to increase it's ratio based on RPMs like the automatic tranny in a car. But, it has no 'passing gears', and there is no way to vary it, so it always felt like it was right at the edge of the power to where if you want to rev, to stay on the pipe, you couldn't. Also, since there is no clutch to rev the motor up to then 'dump' the clutch and take off, you are stuck with whatever ratio it decides you need. That drive set-up is for a utility quad, something you would use to pull a trailer or take out hunting or something. Also, I would say that quad goes 40mph top speed. The one nice thing is it is certainly larger. But, if memory serves, the Jetmoto 200 is larger then the Kazuma 200. Did you sit on the 200cc? I really think after you test ride the Kazuma, it will not be what you are looking for.

Jetmoto is coming out with a 250cc sport model: http://www.jetmotousa.com/showcase/v...25a2d5cf025b0c

I don't know when exactly, but i'm sure John from Raceway will know. I'm going to think about one as well. This is the one you should wait for, I think. Shaft drive, hand clutch...

Whatever you decide, hope we can meet-up and ride some time.

-WDB-

Quick Reply: MWQ gets a Jetmoto 200 quad!!