Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

MWQ gets a Jetmoto 200 quad!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 01:39 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Default MWQ gets a Jetmoto 200 quad!!

Originally posted by: whodatbe
Great info, MWQ! BTW, did you adjust the valves before running it, or check them? Is the adjustment .010? Have you seen any leakage at the base of the cylinder, or cylinder to head, or head to valve cover? Anything leaking at all? thanx.
The only thing I had to adjust on the 200 was the chain, the clutch cable and the idle. I have been looking for leaks and have found none. I would assume the valve adjustment is the same as my little hondas. .002 stone cold. That worked great on my '04 Yamoto.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:44 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: NeedMoreBeer
MWQ,
Thanks for the warm welcome.
As far as jump height expectations, I was curious if the 200 could handle being airborne 2’ to 3’ or do u think even small jumps might break the frame? My friend is a welder, so I guess I'm covered if a get a crack. Even though they may come out with larger quads, u can’t beat the price on this entry level Jetmoto. Have u heard of Roketa atvs? My friend sent me a link at Roketa.com where u not only look at their various quads, but watch real world videos of dealers riding the atvs they sell. It requires high speed Internet to view, but it’s good to c dealers off road testing these foreign quads, since most quad magazines never test them.
Your welcome!
I would think small jumps would be no problem . If anything is going to break I would think it would be the swingarm. In the back where the axle carrier is welded to the tube of the swing arm. I do think it would take a lot of pounding to get it to break, but Im sure I could do it if I tried. And yes the current 200 is quite a bargain. As for Roketa, I have seen the name on ebay I think, but I have never loked into them. I will check out the video later when I get home. To many filters at work.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MWQ, what's the latest on the 200 and others in your test batch?

Old 05-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

Anything new with the 200? I'm nearing my decision to buy an atv, but I am seriously considering this Jetmoto 200 as a good starter quad. U haven't discovered anything odd with it yet, have u?
BTW How did Raceway choose u to test it for them? And do u get to KEEP the thing when u r done with running it thru your test runs? IF so they can send me all the quads they want. I love to run them through the trails around my neck of the woods. What better job could there be, than to test new atvs?

Old 05-08-2006, 11:11 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: Jamez

I just got paperwork sent back from DMV. They are saying now that the certificates of origin I received from JetMoto are scanned color copies and they need originals???? I will call Jetmoto today.
I tried to register my 150 last Friday and was told basically the same thing Jamez. The DMV took all my paperwork and said some one would contact me this week. Something to do with the C.O.O's not being bonded.

imesinga and NeedMoreBeer, I only have real riding time on the 200 so far with my registering problems. It (the 200) is running great and has had no problems at all. The others have not had any real riding time yet. I did get 2 150's for a guy I know and his daughters have many hours on those and have not had any problems. NeedMoreBeer, I havnt asked John why he picked me, but i am thankful that he did. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] And yes I do get to keep them all. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Trailblazer

MWQ, thanks for the update. My son's 125 is doing great. No problems with loose nuts, which was my major concern. Locktited all the small ones and seems to be holding. If anyone is looking around there's I would reccomend checking the small bracket behind the foot peg that the plastic is attached to. Mine were just barely tacked and about ready to come off, a little more weld and they are good now. Other than that we've had no problems at all. I am going to take that foam filter out at some point and see if I can't find a mower filter that matches the shape and try it. Anyone see an airflow problem with doing that?

Old 05-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer

MWQ,
Thanx for the update! U lucky DOG! I can't believe u get to keep ALL those quads. That explains y u have so many. What better way to get long term results than to let u ride 'em forever. I wish Chevy would send me a new 2500 HD truck to let me test, instead of the older one I already own. My search for ATVs is down to used Name brands which r older than dirt or a brand new Jetmoto. I see lots of Hondas from 1980-1990s and they all look like retired race quads for sport riding. I'm worried they're ragged out and already seen their day in the sun. One perk is many are outfitted with lots of after market performance parts.
One negative to these China atvs is buying performance parts. I see lots of parts sites, but it's typically for stock replacement parts. I found a couple sites where u could upgrade suspension and install longer control arms, different shocks too, but it was for only ONE particular model. If there r sites for Jetmotto performance parts, please enlighten me. I'm sure after a few rides, I'll get the urger to tweak the thing. By the way, I surfed the Raceway website and I noticed they ONLY show parts for sale for their Kazuma 50, 110, and 150 atvs. What about the 200 or 250 atvs? Any thoughts? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

NeedMoreBeer we do have a full line of parts for all the units we sell. We just have not had time to update the parts pages yet.
Raceway ATV Kazuma ATV Jetmoto ATV

Old 05-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Whodatbe's Jetmoto 200cc ATV review:

Well, i've spent almost 4 days with my new Jetmoto 200cc and I finally got around to my review. I've posted some pics at: www.monsterscollectibles.com/jetmoto

I've had a lot of experience with ATVs over the years, and I feel I have a very good eye for the good and the bad, so i'm going to be as objective as I can be, considering this is my new toy. This is long so read at your own risk!

I got the crate on thursday the 4th and got right to work. At first I was a little concerned as the end of the left rear fender was jutting out of the box, but no problems. It took some time to uncrate it as the box and steel welded crate is fantastic! Other then the punchers from where a folklifts tongs went through it (luckily not hitting anything), it came unscathed. I would suggest that the small piece of wire that's used to secure the rear of the bike to the crate's frame be put on more securely. The framework has a spot specifically to secure the back of the bike so it doesn't shift, and in this case, the wire was not put on tightly, and the bike did. This is how the fender came out the side of the box.

Anyway, on to the assembly. For the most part, everything is straight forward. There are no instructions, so if you have no idea what you are doing, you may have to use the 'Force', but there's nothing difficult.

As I moved on to the bolt/nut tightening I found a big problem. This is something that I would run into all the time back in the day on the old Honda ATCs... the shifter was not tightened on the shaft coming out of the motor. Had it been ridden this way, it would have certainly stripped the splines off the shifter shaft. That being said, when I went to tighten the bolt so the 'pinch' part of the shifter tighened on the shaft, it promptly snapped off. This was with about a 1/2 turn past the completely loose amount it was previously tightened to. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TIGHTEN THIS BOLT. Take the bolt out and throw it away. Go to the hardware store and find a grade 5 minimum (I found a grade 8 for .60 @ Ace) bolt and replace it. It will break off, and then you are in store for a 30min project of getting the broken part of the bolt out of the hole in the shifter.

I'm skipping ahead, but it's something that should be addressed at this point. After riding it the first time, I smelled burning plastic. I searched the bike and found that the conduit with the wires for the rear brake light switch were against the exhaust pipe. Luckily I caught it before it melted the wires themselves, it just got the conduit. I unplugged the wires from the underside of the left side of the frame, and rerouted them along the pivot point of the swing-arm away from the pipe, and zip-tied it back on. Now, it's not within 3" of the pipe. Make sure and do this. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Also, there were a few other wires that were misrouted, as the main bundle, right above the cooling fan was laying down in front of it, with none of the wires in the plastic bundle 'cover'. I pulled them all loose, routed them, and put them all neatly in the bundle which is now up and out of the way of the fan. Safer, cooler, and should be no problem in the future.

I also found while there is a brake light switch on the front brake assembly, there is no loom to hook it up so I made one. I spliced it into the rear switch wires, and it works perfectly. I don't have pictures of this yet, but I'll take some and put them in the folder at the link above.

By the way, there were a few washers, lock washers, cotter-pins, and nuts missing. Just a few, but they were. No biggy, bought a total of about $2 worth and all good.

A little note on the battery. It says to stick the acid canister onto the top of the battery and let it drain into it, may take 20 mins, and not to puncher the canister to let air in. If you want the acid to go in the battery, you'll have to puncher the canister. I made sure it was on the battery, and a little acid had trickled in, but after 2 hours... it was time to puncher it. Worked perfectly.

Drained the oil that it came with, which smelled like vegetable oil, not sure what was in it, and filled with Spectro.

Adjusted the chain, which is a process which I will get into, since the chain new, doesn't allow enough room on the adjusters for the nuts to be on all the way, let alone the washers. So, after I used the adjusters to get the chain tension right, I took the nuts off so they would vibrate off and get lost. This is something i've had to do 4 times now, as it's just now getting to the point that the chain is 'broken in' and the nuts/washers all go on all the way and will stay on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

After getting all of this taken care of, everything assembled, bolts/nuts tightened, wires routed correctly, etc... it was time to start it. Put some 93 oct in, and hit the starter. Fired right off. By the 3rd crank it was running with full choke. I took the choke off as the idle came down since it was getting flooded, and just held the throttle a little while adjusting the idle at the carb. Let it run till it was good and hot, about 10mins, and shut it down. Did the same thing about 2 hours later, and that was it for the night. Trust me, it was tough to walk away without riding it at all.

Friday spent most of the day playing with the Jetmo as my Dad calls it. Several more times of just starting it, letting it run, and shutting it down till it's room temp again, then was off for my first 10 min scoot. Nothing past 1/3 throttle, and didn't get into 3rd gear. 2 more trips like this, and then about a 25 min ride, and this time 3rd gear.

My Dad rode it around a little on saturday, nothing major, just running it, and shutting it down, and now we get to sunday.

After one more short reasonably easy ride in the morning, I headed out for an hour, and put it through it's paces, a little. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Did a few minor jumps, and rode around, probably about 5 miles or so, then came to a neighbor's field and started to really get on it. There are a number of 'mounds', one that I could catch about 1-2 ft of air off of. On the 2nd jump over this one, the chain came off. Got it back on, went back, adjusted it, and tried it again. Same thing. Checked the adjustment, right on... tried it again, same thing. As it turns out, the non-concentric setup does not do well with jumping. Everything held up just fine, but anything over about a foot of air, and it will pop the chain off every time. This was common place with the old Honda 200x atc, and even the 250r's. Only 1 fix, an HPD chain tensioner. I should have it in a few days. A MUST if you plan on jumping. I don't know how it will work just yet, but i'll make it work, and i'll take pics for everyone. I put one on a dirt bike I had, and it works great. I also ordered 1.5" axle extenders, which it could use, but I don't think is a must have. I leaned into corners hard and gave it plenty of gas and I never felt like it was going to come over. Now if you just sit up straight on it and think you are just going to whip it around, it will certainly flip. My Dad almost flipped doing that very thing! He got off after that one.

So, now we are to the good and the needs improvement part...

1. This is very important! This is a MID-SIZED Quad. Certainly the largest in it's class, as far as i've seen, but still will only accomodate up to a certain size. I am 5' 8" 155 and this bike is PERFECT for me. Anyone much bigger, it will not be. My Dad is 6' 2" 185 and he sits all the way at the back of the bike to where he gives it some gas and the front wants to come right up on him. Please keep this in mind. If you are much taller then me, you will not be comfortable on this bike.

2. It has plenty of power for a stock bike. I have an old 200s ATC, which is essentially the same motor, which I have rebuilt and modified, and this is definitely more powerful. You have got to keep it at 1/2 throttle or more when you are riding 'aggressively' in order not to have it come off the mid range circuit of the carb. When you do, the HP drops, and you need to downshift to get it back up. There's a fine point that the point 'band' is at. It's much like a 2stroke, but not as obvious, of course. Keep it on the pipe = 1/2 throttle or more, and it has plenty of power. For the most part, when I was riding aggressively jumping and hard cornering, etc, I was never into 4th. It's a little too tall for the HP in anything more then clean mowed grass. In the field, which was 6-10" of grass, it was sluggish in 4th, and would labor to go faster. In 3rd, which would go easy 25-30mph at top end, is more then enough speed for most people, and has a lot of torque to do most anything.

3. The suspension scared me at first, VERY stiff, but of course, after some jumping, it's loosened right up. It's no Ohlins, let's not be silly, but it's very good for what it is, and I am pretty happy. If it works a little better after some more time in the seat, Great! I did make sure the springs on the front were set at thier 'loosest/softest' and the rear shock at it's lowest setting as well, for the softest ride. One problem is the coil over springs of the front shocks just barely rub the inside of the back-upper A arm (as shown in one of the pictures I took). This is a design flaw that just needs one of the many variable points adjusted slightly. I am starting to see the slightest signs of rubbing on the coils from the riding i've done so far. I don't think this will be a real problem in the future, but it's something that could easily be fixed by something moved a little to give it another couple cm's of clearance.

4. I love the fact that there is an electric cooling fan mounted right in front of the engine. What a great idea! These little air cooled engines can get so hot, the heat coming off of them will cook your legs. The fan keeps the temps down nicely under slow riding conditions. It's also REALLY HOT here in FL, so i'm sure this will help prolong the engine's life.

5. The brakes work very well, and I really like the that there is a brake light, which Now work off the front and rear brake switches. It would be nice if the front switch was wired in as well.

6. The headlight is really cool looking, and works well for an ATV, but why have it wired out of the lights for low and high beam, along with low/hi beam bulbs, but not a Low/Hi beam switch? I spent about 1/2 an hour trying to figure out what to do about it, and then just decided to hook the highs up and that's good enough.

7. Everything else is what I expected or even Better then expected.

To bring an end to all this rambling... if you are in the market for a 200cc class 4 wheeler, and want bang for your buck, I honestly can't imagine finding a better deal. I am very impressed, and for the $1700 shipped, there was no way I could find a used Jap bike that isn't completely rung-out for anywhere near the same price range. I tried, and i'm glad I went with the Jetmo. Time will tell as to it's durability, and I will update as things happen, or continue to impress. I'll add more pics as time allows.

Best,
Ken aka whodatbe

Old 05-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Dude,
Great review and very thorough! I'm weeks away from buying one myself, so I look forward to any further threads u post. Where'd u order your HDF chain tensioner and what part number is it? If I buy one, I'd definitely be hitting some jumps, so a chain constantly falling off will get old quick. My Schwinn mountain bike does the same thing in certain gears if I land sideways. Too bad the Jetmoto isn't a shaft drive aye? Sounds like u r doing some preventative maintenance on the 200. U said u bought the rear wheel spacers, r u planning on upgrading the front control arms for longer ones too? Keep posting your mods and quick fixes. I'll check out your quad pix. Dude, I live in this Florida heat too! My county has been on fire for weeks! No lie. 90+ degree heat, dry grass, plus no rain, equals FIRE! I drive to work in smoke. Sorry I got off topic.
Later smokey! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: MWQ gets a Jetmoto 200 quad!!