Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Race quad opinion!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 04:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race quad opinion!!!!

I would love to hear it from you all. Im looking forward to purchasing a new quad for my little ones who want to step it up and get more involved in racing. The last purchase we spent a whole lot of money on getting our bikes ready for the track. I know we will still have to spend money, but I want to purchase the most bang for my daughters. From how things sound right now, most of you on the racing side live in the south, midwest or east coast. You have more resources when it comes to four wheels. Please help!

I was looking in to buying either a Yamati, DRR or a Kazuma. In this order. I know with all the knock offs I will have to spend moneyin some upgrades. To get any bike race ready and competitive I will have to anyhow. I would like to purchase a bike that has the foundation of a great starter bike. In most of the classes we are racing out west, they are a little more broad than what you might see. Which means some classes may be 50 - 90cc and seperated by age due to the small turnouts on the quad side of things. Im favoring the 2-stroke because I know what I can make of it. I believe its the fastest thing going far as the minis.

I have two small framed riders who are real aggressive. I want to keep them on the small framed bike, but has the most to offer. I am pretty good with a wrench so I have maintenance covered. Many of the bikes out there can get heavy and long. I want to avoid these models. I need something the kids can work with(be in control of), stay confident and continue to improve on their skills.

What do you think of the 4 stokers and are they competitive at your local race scene. This is where I shy away from the Kazuma. The price is nice. 90 cc mini falcon or 110. These are still light framed bikes.

Has anyone heard much of the Yamati. I like the size and weight of this bike. Plus it looks sharp. 2-stroke and the horizontal engine is what i have been working with.

Just a little to throw at you all.
Any advice would help.
Thanks

Old 02-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Range Rover

All I hear about the DRR is good. I think every kid at the last national race in the 50cc class was on a DRR. The Kazuma, from reading about problems on these forums, I wouldn't buy. The other one I've never heard of.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:10 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Believe the Yamati is a QJ, just like mine except I got the 100. While it's been a good quad/engine and numerous others have a similar problem, the camber is bassackwards because the shocks are a little long so unless you plan to replace the a-arms and/or adjust shock mounts, I'd probably go with the DRR for racing. At least look at one up close and make sure they fixed the problem. A hard toe-out does help though. The motor is a typical Polaris clone made by Linhai Yamaha and mine's been rock solid for almost 2 years now. It really is a good quad at slower speeds and handles fine under 25-30mph.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know these cost alot up front but from what I'm hearing the Cobra is the way to go. Buy it and race it.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, Im selling a very trick race ready LT80. This bike is complete and ready to race. I only have maybe 2-3 tanks threw the motor since it was built. For pics search the forum for my posting called " some other lt80 pics " this way you get a name brand bike built correctly for racing. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer

If you are planning on racing, and not much trail riding, the DRX out of the box is sweet. I think they come stock at 40 inches wide. Huge for a mini. The engines are strong and there are lots of upgrades for them. Also they come with a race tuned pipe already, as well as clutch.
If you are planning on making it a "custom mini", I would buy a LEM in a heartbeat. These things scream, Italian built, motors are easy to come by. The only problem is the availability of parts. The biggest upside to this mini is that they only weigh 125 pounds.
Kazuma would be a trail or sand quad only. I currently have a line on some aftermarket shocks for these minis that are way cheaper than works/elka/etc. I will be testing them on my sons Kazuma over the next few weeks and will keep everyone posted.

Thanks,
Corey

Old 02-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The only quad you mentioned that will be a future racer will be the DRR.
If your kids have expiereince, check Hymis's quad out.

Old 02-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer

Hello,

Contact Hetrick Racing. They are top dogs when it comes to mini quads. They will give you their input and will never talk you into purchasing something you don't need. www.hetrickracing.com

Old 02-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I was thinking along the same lines as the DRR. With all the money I see going in to this next season. I was trying to see if I could squeeze/save a few dollars along the line. With all the models I have mentioned, there are a few dollars to save down the line. I guess it comes down to pay now, or pay later. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Trailblazer

SC85,
One last point to consider. There is no feasable amount of money you could dump into a Kazuma or Yamiti or anything like these ones, that would make it even compare to the bone stock DRR/DRX. The Kasea is race proven as well, and so is the ETON. I think if you stick with one of those three, you will be happy. Although, Im still partial to the LEM.

Quick Reply: Race quad opinion!!!!