Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

lt 80 Weak spark not starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:43 AM
RAS
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt 80 Weak spark not starting

I need some help figuring out a spark problem on my lt80. ATV has sat up for 5 years. Tore entire bike down. Replaced all bearings in motor, upper and lower. Bored 40 over , rebuilt carb., new boysen dual reeds, new plug , new starter and petcock. Checked spark and at first was strong. Engine tried to start at first and then would never start again. Checked spark again this time showing little to no spark. I pulled the stator and magneto and cleaned all surfaces. Checked all connection and clean any that look questionable.
This is where my problem starts. As I stated the bike has sat for 5 years and I could have several problems to tackle. I do not know technically what is responsible for producing the spark. Is it a combination of the stator and the coil? If so which should I replace first and or how can I check them on a non running engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the ATV Connection forums. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I'd suggest checking both the stator and coil with an ohm meter. Your local zuki dealer should be able to give you the correct resistance readings.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:03 AM
RAS
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the kind words to the newcomer. I have read many topics on this forum during my build, sitting in the wings waiting for the right time to jump in. Well the time is here. I have noticed that you are the resident expert on lt80's. Before this is all over I will have many more questions. As I indicated I have read many topics and learned a great deal already. I will contact the local deal and get the necessary info.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

After thinking more, I'd definitly check the plug wire and cap.
After sitting that long, ya never knopw what may be going on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I should have thought of that for the first reply.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:54 AM
RAS
Weekend Warrior

Ordered a new Ricky Stator last night. Figured that I would be putting a light on at some point so I would need the higher output. As far as the plug wire and cap, they both look good but I will get a new wire anyway. I will update as soon as I get the stator in.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:13 AM
RAS
Weekend Warrior

Received stator today. Pulled old one out and put new one in. Still no fire. Onto the coil. I am going to go by local suzuki shop and see if they will check it for me. if not at least get ohm numbers. I will keep everyone informed as to the progress. If anyone has any thought please feel free to give a shout.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:19 AM
RAS
Weekend Warrior

Ordered new coil today. Very dissapointed with local suzuki dealer. Brought coil with me over to store and asked if they could check it or give me the ohm numbers so I could check it myself. The service manager takes the coil and goes to the back, returns within a minute and says that they cannot check the coil unless they have the entire bike. I asked if he had the ohm readings so I could check it myself and he said "I don't know what you are talking about and why don't you just go and buy another one anyway". After thinking about it I decided that was the best option. Expecially, with their labor rates being $75.00 per hr. So, I should have the part in 5 days. Will update when new coil is installed

Old 03-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

FYI: it should cost you about $53. That's the price I got off a site anyways. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2006, 12:03 PM
"One Wheel Short"
slow day around the orafice I see!

Originally posted by: RAS
Ordered new coil today. Very dissapointed with local suzuki dealer. Brought coil with me over to store and asked if they could check it or give me the ohm numbers so I could check it myself. The service manager takes the coil and goes to the back, returns within a minute and says that they cannot check the coil unless they have the entire bike. I asked if he had the ohm readings so I could check it myself and he said "I don't know what you are talking about and why don't you just go and buy another one anyway". After thinking about it I decided that was the best option. Expecially, with their labor rates being $75.00 per hr. So, I should have the part in 5 days. Will update when new coil is installed
secondary resistance on the coil should be 12.0 - 17.5 ohms sir.

I'm sorry your local shop treated you like that. The factory service manual has these specs for testing purposes. That is just bad business [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

stator coil is 173 ohms plus or minus 20% this is black red wire to stator base (ground)

Old 03-06-2006, 01:29 AM
RAS
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the readings, I will check coil out tomorrow. Goes to show you that all the local shop was interested in was making several hours of labors. As far as the new coil I paid $146.00. By time this is all over I could have bought a new bike. Although I would not have one with all the tricked out stuff.

Quick Reply: lt 80 Weak spark not starting