Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

How many grease zerks

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many grease zerks

How many grease zerks on a 05 sportsman 90 Polaris

Old 02-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How many grease zerks

Not too sure about your exact year and model of Polaris 90. For our '03 Pred-90, there's a grease zerk on the front A-Arms (outer hub area) and 1 grease zerk on the HPD Spring loaded chain tensioner I installed. Your Polaris 90 is problably the same.

Talk about grease zerks, you may want to install another grease zerk in its Swing Arm bar. For more details, read the below... It's a Tech Article I got posted on another mini-ATV forum.

Most minis don't come with a grease fitting in their main Swing Arm bar. They are loaded up with internal grease at factory then "good to go" for a few years . If your mini does lots of water riding or extreme racing, this grease is most often pushed or washed out in very little time. Thus, the bushings within the Swing Arm wear. Dramatic wear on its bushings and thus, inconsistant Chain Alignment and poor handling on sharp corners.

To allow you to add more grease, simply install a grease zerk within the Swing Arm's main bar. For best results, its wise to remove the swing arm, drill the hole, wipe off the drill bit shavings, install the grease zerk, reinstall the swing arm, then pump in the grease - until it comes out one of the ends of the Swing Arm. For me, I crawled under our mini and drilled the hole upwards. I'm sure 99% of the shavings fell on my face. Note: Wear safety glasses for this job. Either self tapping or Push-In grease zerk type will work. If you want more threads on the grease zerk, drill a larger hole, then weld on a concave grounded Nut. A Nut with the same thread size of the grease zerk. What ever works best for you....

For pictures, surf: http://community.webshots.com/album/284538349PdZJcL

Finished result: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...84541087LaRFko

Note: Not too sure if I'd install another grease zerk in the rear hub area again. Lots of work for such little gain - for this specific location. But, I would install another grease zerk in the Swing Arm's main bar again. That one was well worth it. To me, they should all come factory with a grease zerk in the Swing Arm bar.

------------------------

Before removing the Swing Arm (for best results), clean the main swing arm bar, place a 1" long masking tape in the center and hold the end of your grease gun to this location. Then, mark the tape with a marker. This is done to find the "most comfortable position" when greasing the future grease zerk. Also ensure the grease zerk is in a protected area. I installed my Pred-90's grease zerk pointing downward. From a white board perspective, great location. But... What a pain in "my tail" to reach it with my little grease gun. If the grease zerk was on an upward 45 degree angle, it would have been much better. re: less pain my "my tail" and better protected from our trail junk.

Hope this helps others...