Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

if you can't .. your state will

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if you can't .. your state will

Originally posted by: WhoDatInDaMud
Basically - the few parents who are choosing poorly - are ruining it for the rest.
We've all heard this for years and I agree. Those that make the laws need to figure out you can't stop stupid. I'm sure there are enough laws already that cover children for any activity if they would be enforced when a situation of poor judgement occures. This would allow the rest of us to continue trying to raise our childeren the best we can. Percentage wise I bet there are more dangerous things our childeren could be doing, then riding atv's, that are commonly thought to be safer activities.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:18 AM
Trailblazer

that is what they are doing now. i hate it but states are or trying to enforce what is already on the books. my son started young as well and this will be his 8th year of racing. no doubt it is a small portion of the atv community that ruins it for the rest.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

Following these guildlines:

- While seated, child can reach and grip both handlebars while maintaining a distinct bend at the elbows. Child must be able to control throttle and handbrake while turning handle bars to extreme right and left.
- While seated, child can reach foot pegs/controls with upper leg nearly parallel to the ground.
- There must be a 3 inch minimum space from top of inseam to ATV seat while standing on foot pegs and holding handlebars.

My oldest son, who is 12, would fit any of the sport quads out right now. Not that I would let him ride a 450 or 700, but he does "fit" it. Thats the whole problem with trying to make a "blanket" law to work with everyone.
Making a new law is NOT the answer anyways. How many of the people that have had the accidents would have even checked the laws BEFORE letting their kids ride. Probably only the few that even know sites like this one even exist.

Bikes are or can be hard to ride. Thats why they don't have the problems that the quads do. I like auto quads, but face it, anybody can get on it and go. and it has hurt the atv world because they have!! With bikes its not that easy. Maybe instead of trying to make the kids quads easier to ride, they should get back to basic's. If your kid (or adult) can't learn to use a clutch, maybe they really aren't ready to ride. Etc... (just a thought)

WhoDatInDaMud,
I appraite what you have tried to do, but you do realize that for the most part, your preaching to the choir in here. Most of the people in here that have decided to go ahead and put their kid on a bigger quad, have at least wayed the pros and cons and made their decesions. The real problem is all those that buy the atv without a clue and then on a side note let their kid ride them. In most of the quad related accidents in my area that is the case. I have very seldom heard of a kid that was taught to ride by a responsible adult, contribute to the problems were facing today. Not all accidents can be prevented and things are going to happen, but if a kid is taught at a young age, it does stick with them.
There really is no easy answer to this. But I for one would like to see the auto mini's dissapear. In thier place, I would love to see some real suspended machines, with manual clutches and kick starters take their place. Where in order to ride, they have to know what their doing. (jmo)

Old 02-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, I know that I am basically preaching to the sharks to lay off the fish.

A good practice is to look at the outcome of our effort.
There has been some progress. I believe some posters do come out of the weeds and post in reservation of a young child ATV rider (under 6) when they were drowned out in the past by belligerent immaturity here.
I believe that there are a few of us that hold up the light of reason when a newcomer is asking for advice now - and there wasn't anyone doing that when I started. And I know for a fact that some of these discussions have led responsible parents to providing better safety equipment and also attending training.
So even when its seems like this is last place anyone would want to be – its worth the effort.

Another approach to "qualifing" riders outside of mechanical complexity as I understood your post - is what we are doing here.
In Minnesota we support 12-15 year olds riding larger the 90cc quads after the youth completes a at-home CD training program (free) and completes a demonstrated skills riding course and written test. Thousands of youth have already done so. Over all this has been a huge success. So huge, that soon the training will be required for all ATV riders not yet 12 years old now - no matter what age they start riding at. Adults included. And there is also legislation to tie ATV and Snowmobile records to drivers licenses so the sting of non-compliance is also felt in the insurance budget.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a ATV safety Instructor when people ask me to train there kids I will tell them that there child has to complete the state course first ,,as for safe riding I've never had somebody go away from my class not haveing learned some thing , It's a good feeling ,and you also recieve around a hundred ($ ) for takeing the 4 hour class ,pretty good return on a 4hr investment ,
Ride safe always but have fun .