Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

AlphaSports Kolt 90 engine died won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AlphaSports Kolt 90 engine died won't start

My son's 2001 AS Kolt 90 died on the trail Friday, according to him it bogged and died. I went over to start it, all it would do is just barely crank and die. I pulled it back to the trailer and hauled it home. I pulled the spark plug attached the plugwire to it, grounded the threads to an engine ground, spun the engine over with the rear brake lite on and the run/off switch in the run position...No spark. I replaced the spark plug with a brand new one, no fire, installed the new one in the engine with the plugwire attached, won't even try to start.
This is the same 90cc engine as all the "neeses" (chinese, tiwanese), Aeon, Polaris, eton, etc...
Is there a common ignition part that goes out??? Also I read on the posts that the stator/pick-up can get dirty and can be cleaned and it will run, true/false.
Any ideas???

Old 02-27-2006, 10:32 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he was going through water or mud, there is a good chance it is the stator. It's located befind the fan and magneto and is unsealed. It's a fairly straight forward and easy fix as long as you have a magneto or steering wheel puller. An impact driver also comes in handy to prevent stripping the soft screws but is not a must have.

Here's some good info.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:08 PM
geo
Trailblazer

before you buy a 130 dollar stator you may not need, pull the black and white connector apart that goes to your CDI box. take a piece of wire and connect the cdi end to ground, and see if you have spark. that eliminates all your switches/tethers/etc. if you get spark, then start checking your switches. raptorlegs is right though, stator failures are very common. also check your spark plug cap.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:55 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys, sorry to take so long getting back, been too busy the last three days...
I'll be tearing into the stator side cover of the engine thursday to check things out.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Alpha sport 90 atv

I am also having a problem with mine except I have spark just won't run. Need some help and here are some things I already did. 1- put a new carburetor on with manual choke. 2- new gas lines and high test gas. 3- bypassed tethering. I'm at a lost now. I have great spark getting fuel to the carburetor and still nothing. Also it has 98psi compression.