Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Sportsman 90 Modifying Brake levers????

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 08:28 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Sportsman 90 Modifying Brake levers????

Originally posted by: chipster314

Thats a good idea also. I might try to improve on that and use a hard rubber washer so it does no damge the cable at all.
Thats a good idea too. I used the valve stem nutas because they were thin. And they were also made of brass, which is a fairly soft material.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Guys/Gals , this is what I did, I bought some hard rubber plumbing washers slit them and put them around the cable between the lever and the hard stop, and adjusted the back brake with the easy wing nut at the rear so it was not grabbing. On the front I had to remove the two jam nuts as there was now adjustment left to loosen off the brake tension, placed a washer on each cable and that was it. Moved the levers in about 1/2-3/4". I would say the washers were about the size of a 1/4" inch flat washer and about 3/16" thick.

I must stress you need to realy check your brake adjustment after this as if you move it in to far you will not have enough movement to apply proper braking

Actualy this is what it says on the card for the washers

rear brake I used 1/4L Flat washer used for faucet
front brakes I used 1/4l Beveled washers used for faucet (A Little Thicker) need two washers on the front one on each cable

Old 03-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Trailblazer

wHAT ABOUT FOR HYDROLIC BRAKES?

Old 03-25-2006, 11:06 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: BMazz007
wHAT ABOUT FOR HYDROLIC BRAKES?
I was at Jetmoto yesterday talking with Eugene about your question. Im going to be modifying a couple of levers and would like you to test them for me. If your interested pm me your address and ill ship them to you when I finish them. It could be a week or so. Also what brand/size quad is it for and which lever is it? Or is it both sides? Thanks, MWQ

Old 03-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Trailblazer

THATS REALLY NICE OF YOU GUYS ! THANK YOU HERE EMAIL ME I CANT GET YOURE TO COME UP MINE IS BMAZZ007@OPTONLINE.NET

Old 03-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

I'm trying to figure out a hydraulic rear brake lever for the SunL 50-95 that Raceway sells. Its about 3" away, and I need at least 1" closer.

Old 03-26-2006, 04:16 AM
Trailblazer

Same here, my son is really having a hard time with his brake lever, 1 inch closer would be perfect. I tried to come up with a solution for his Sunl 90 but with no luck, also does anyone find it strange that the brake lever is on the left side ?
Chris

Old 03-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

If you are only going to have one brake, its better to be onthe left. I took mine apart and looked at machining a new bracket. Too much hassle so far. I may try and get another brake handle and see if I can machine it at a different agnle and bolt it together.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Trailblazer

mINE IS ON THE LEFT ALSO ON OUR FREDOM 70S WE HAVE TO GET ANOTHER WHOLE ASSEMBLY BECAUSE ONE OF THE NEW ONES HAS A LITTLE HAIRLINE CRACK IN THE MASTER CYLINDER AND THE BRAKE ISVERY SOFT BECAUSE OF THE CRACK AND FLUID IS LEAKING OUT, ITS A VERY SMALL AMOUNT BUT ITS LEAKING. I CONTACTED THE DEALER AND I WAITING TO HEAR FROM HIM THEY SHOULD BE SENDING IT OUT ANYDAY. ILL CALL CONTACT THEM ON MONDAYTO FIND OUT THE STATAS. DO I NEED THE WHOLE ASSEMBLY OUR CAN I JUST GET THE MASTER CYLINDER/

Old 03-27-2006, 10:06 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: RAMTechRC
I'm trying to figure out a hydraulic rear brake lever for the SunL 50-95 that Raceway sells. Its about 3" away, and I need at least 1" closer.
John at Racewayatv is sending me a lever assy for the SunL quads and im going to either modify the existing lever or cut a whole new one. Ill be posting my results here.

Quick Reply: Sportsman 90 Modifying Brake levers????