Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Apex Pro Shark 90

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apex Pro Shark 90

diggin, I was just giving you a hard time about the ford,all rigs today are dependable ,just messin with ya, and yes all minis are the same other than lt80s and trx90s, all others are moped motors, if your son has'nt bent anything yet i would gusit the swingarm"asap' the axles are wider stock than that of kasea, so expect that to bend also,"soft"and lock tite those axle nuts they come loose, have you noticed how tite the sterring is, and the rear sits to high, these are just a few things you will change over time, oooo and if you still have the air filter that looks like a k&n with a blue plasic cover on it , take it off and use a uni filter "big differents" anyway , we like the quad , its the best mini out right now , son won a chamionship on it ,his 5th and hes 8 yearsold one of witch was on the aasco , are out door just started missed the first one didnt want to race in the mud and i mean"mud" so next race is may 7th i"ll post how he does on this thread.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

I received the Aasco/Apex Pro MX90 a little over a week ago and really took my time making sure it was set up properly. Welded in a brace for the swingarm, made certain all connectors were tight. LocTite on those I thought would need it. Spent ALOT of time setting the front end up properly. What a pain in the butt with the threaded in ball joints. Had to disassemble the spindles everytime to get the camber setup properly. Anyway, fired it up Thursday and I was very impressed. Running VP 110 racing fuel with 927 oil. This bike really moves! Handles real well but the suspension is too stiff for my son (he weighs about 60 pounds with all his gear on). So new shocks will most likely be the first upgrade after he gets used to the bike. It was a huge step up from his LT50 (even with all the mods we had done to it) and quite a step up from the eTon Viper his sister rides. He was initially intimidated by the larger size and the high stall clutch setup but when he rode yesterday he was standing on it pretty hard. We have a pretty steep swale on the side of our property and he was hitting that and catching some decent air. He was all grins! Tomorrow we head out to the Everglades to run the airboat trails (still dry out there - we're in the middle of a drought). Should have a chance to really wring it out and find out how it runs with the Raptor. The bike is really made well. I would imagine that the Pro Shark would be a fantastic choice for you. I'll write later and let you know how the quad holds up after a full day of hard riding.

Old 05-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer

hi diggin, we just got back from the races "430 here", son raced 90 mod "a" class against jb hetricks quads and took second, no moped motored quads were even close and this was even a second in the hole shot, its running good[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] sons running a fox float on the back he says the fronts fine for now,its amazing how much he knows for being 8 years old, also being the youngest in the a and b class, so for what it is and the price its turned out to be a good quad, let us know what you think about it after riding it awhyll, neighbor kid has the 70cc pro and blown his tranny gears saturday at pracice but a new set of gears and a 1/2 hour later he was back on the track .

Old 05-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer

Kasea 90 how does that work with your kid running in 2 classes. You cant go up then back down to race here. These pro mx's are highly overated me nor anyone who has seen this thing run has been impressed. the axle is junk,radiator undersized and tabs snap off, the swing arm is junk gusseted or not the shocks if jumping hard are junk front and rear shocks are horrible my daughter blew the front shocks apart saturday at red bud on a 20 foot double and if these machines were any good they would have been at the nationals 2 nationals for my daughter no pro mx's out there. So with all the stuff needed for a competitive machine at national level your still gonna have 7-8,000 in it.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Both my boys raced for the first time yesterday on my youngest boys pred 90. I just got it done. stuck about $1500 into it and only got some cheaper works replica shocks. Anyway, my oldest raced against an aasco mx 90 in the 8-up mod class, and it finished in fifth behind him. it was just a mud bog for a race though, so I'm not sure yet how we stand. I was really checking this thing out, it looks like a great quad, but the owner too said that he is on his second rear swing-arm, has it all gusseted and welded up. and he replaced the rear shock because the stock rear broke. They have a plastic piston in them that shatters if you jump it hard. Still looks like a cool quad though.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Trailblazer

MxDad, I'm sure compared to the Cobra 70 the MX90 is probably junk. However, if you look at the economics of it, the base price for any of the quality scooter engine ATV's is $1,800. Now add 4 Holeshot tires ($180), 4 Douglas rims ($200), +4 upper and lower a-arms ($800 for the conversion), pipe ($325), air cleaner ($35), carb ($125), clutch ($100), +6 wide axle (junk or not), better shocks (no, they're not Elka's or even Works), liquid cooling (have you tried Engine Ice? I'm in Florida where we have already seen 94 degrees and I haven't had any cooling issues - $399 for conversion) and you will be hard pressed to keep the price anywhere near the $3,000.00 I paid ($3,200 with shipping) for my MX90. I can put Elka's or TCS shocks, Lonestar or Durablue axle, have some port work and still be under $5,000.00. I can even go with a high quality aftermarket swing and still be under $5,500.00. I kinda like the deal. If I was campaigning the national circuit, maybe I would be looking elsewhere, but I'm not and the MX90 fills the bill just fine, which is all it is advertised to be. I couldn't find where I read last week that an Aasco was tied with a Kasea in the national points so all I can do is offer that hearsay. With the current crop of Cobras and Hetrick machines, with others sure to follow, the scooter engined bikes are sure to fall to the wayside. Nevertheless, my son loves his MX90 and that makes me happy, which is all that really counts in the end.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Trailblazer

mx dad my son raced two classs because he has two quads[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]and as for the aasco90 being a peace well trust me i know but I'v made the best of it, I stay on top of it after ever race , "like you should ever quad" and is my son fast because of the aasco "no" my sons fast on anything, hes 8 years old and i think and others to tell me im holding him back that hes ready for a jb hetrick quad, I know this but im a single family income and this aasco has to last us through april 2007 , summer and indoor winter series, hopfully this will give us time to get a new quad and to get some seat time on it, and if you think that if hes doing that good on the aasco that washington state kids must not be fast well just look and the standings in the w.o.r.c.s series , the top riders are from are one track [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] also when my son was 5 he took 2nd in state championships in bmx , 5 and under class, >proud dad< , back to the aasco, was i expecting more from the aasco? yes, is it race ready ,no, is it wirth the money, yes, 2995 then elka's , axle, some welding , 5 grand , jumps good , handles great, no bump ster, looks good, do i regret buying it, no.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Trailblazer

digginfool boy do they have you fooled this thing was advertised as RACE READY what part of that is hard to understand it is far from race ready you show me where it is advertised as almost race ready. This machine is just a $3000 trail machine the way it is bought. I bought mine whin they first came out. This machine is 0 for 5 in finishing races has yet to finish 2 motos the cobra has yet to not finish in almost 2 years and after fixing and replacing things i have more in it than the cobra. I purchased a 90 kit for the cobra today so my daughter can race with a chance. so now i have a $7,000 pit bike. If your just back yard riding then yes this is a good machine

Old 05-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Trailblazer

Straight from the Apex website. Note the last line; "...at an affordable price." Not $8,000.00. As long as you care to compare it to the Cobra, you will continue to be disappointed. You and your daughter obviously have the time to campaign the national circuit and the machine out of the box is not advertised to compete at that level. I still stand by my statement; it is a competitive quad my son will be happy to ride against any other race prepared scooter-engined quads. It will never compete with the purpose-built JB, Cobra or Hetrick quads out there. Nobody's fooled me one bit. You can be sure that if my son proves to be competitive enough and we decide to start racing on a larger level, he will be riding a Honda-powered JB or the Cobra. If the Hetrick bike proves to be competitive, that will also be an option.

"The Apex Motors Pro MX ATV is an out-of-the-box race ready ATV. Built with the novice racer in mind,......Easily upgradeable to race on a national level. This is a lightweight, powerful, high quality racing quad, ready to race at an affordable price."

Old 05-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

That is what they say now at apex because it is not what it was suppose to be i know kasea 90 bought his early and they were claiming this to be alot more than it was. To be nationaly competitive all the quad needs to do is stay together this thing wont. You dont have to have a JB or hetricks machine to win you just need it to stay together. At that level it is rider and machine as one not rider trying to compensate for a machine that wont stay together.

Quick Reply: Apex Pro Shark 90