Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 oil on belt???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 oil on belt???

I just took the cover off the left side of my 1992 LT80 and there is black oil all over the belt and clutches. Obviously the belt is slipping. Any idea where the leak is? The oil injector does not appear to be leaking, so I am presuming that it is coming from the fan. Could it be a main seal on the crank? Has anyone else had the same problem?

Old 05-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the ATV Connection forums. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I suspect the gear box gasket (under the rear clutch).
Main seals suck in and the fan pulls air from the clutches so those won't be the culprit.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer

I'm working on this '92 LT80 for a friend. The hose that goes from the fan housing to the clutch drive housing was missing. The exhaust flange was missing a fastener and seal, so it was leaking goop. Two stroke oil was all over the head, inside the fan housing, inside the belt drive cover, etc. The gearbox cover was sealed with RTV, rather than the OEM gasket. I believe that the shaft seal and gasket allowed some oil from the gearcase to leak, but the main problem was the oil from the exhaust and missing hose. Anyway, I cleaned everything up and have some new parts ordered. I don't have a service manual and I am in hopes you can help me with a few items: What is the proper torque for the cylinder head nuts, drive sheave nut and driven sheave nut? Thanks for your help.

Old 05-09-2006, 03:40 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There may not be any leak!!! THE BELT IS SUPPOSED TO BE BATHED IN OIL. It takes 80cc's, and there is a fill hole, and a weep hole (as I recall) on the housing in the back. Find an owners manual, if you can't figure out what I mean. I think it takes 10W30 4-stroke engine oil????

If your belt is slipping, it may just be normal wear.

I am always amazed at how many LT80 owners do not know this, and ride for years without ever changing that oil!

Old 05-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

WTF??? Belt bathed in oil eh....NOT!!
No oil, no way, on a mini quad belt!

Old 05-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

WOW! I'm off to grease my belts! I also heard that greasing your brake rotors helps you stop faster.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer

Jack,

Can you help me with the proper torque for the fasteners I mentioned in a previous reply?

Old 05-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Seriously guys, I haven't ownedm (or even looked at) an LT in a dozen years, but you put oil in the hub at the rear, where as I recall, the belt goes around the rear pully??? So, what is this oil for then????

Like I said, most people don't know this and never change their oil, so I'm not surprised that nobody knows what I'm talking about!

Old 05-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That's funny.
Yes there is oil in the rear, for the gears.
Yes the belst goes around the rear clutch..
<u>NOT for the belt.</u> [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
It must have been many many many years since you've seen or taken one apart...

You're right, we don't know what you are talking about, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] NO OIL ON THE BELT.........

LOL, don't worry though Recon, we all have temporary bouts of Cranial Rectitus, hehehehehe [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

LOL, I'm just giving ya a bad time Recon, it's all good, just funny [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mat050873 I don't have a service manual and I am in hopes you can help me with a few items: What is the proper torque for the cylinder head nuts, drive sheave nut and driven sheave nut? Thanks for your help.
Here's some torque specs I've got:

cylinder head nuts = 6.0 to 8.5 lb-ft

Spark plug = 14.5 - 18

Exhaust pipe nut = 6 - 8.5

Magneto rotor nut = 25.5 - 31

Fixed drive face nut = 29 - 43.5

Clutch drum mounting nut = 29 - 43.5

Crankcase bolt = 6 - 8.5

Gear box magneto bolt = 6 - 8.5

Good Luck

Quick Reply: LT80 oil on belt???