Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

lt80 wont start or runs for a while then shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt80 wont start or runs for a while then shuts off

Hello, I have 2 lt80s. I am having issues with both, but one at a time, right?! When I ca nget it to start, it will run pretty good for a little bit, but then will stall and not start again. When I am able to get it started, I nearly have to push the gas all the way to get it started, almost like it is flooded. It wont idle. It is a 2002. It does have spark. Whatcha guys think?

Old 05-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Trailblazer

Hi. I had a problem like the one you are talking about. The quad would start and run for a while than die. A few minutes later it would start back up and run for a few minutes and than the same thing would happen. I took apart the carb and found that a chunk of gunk was blocking the needle and seat, but it was letting just enough fuel past it so it would fill up the float bowl and restart but when the bowl emptied it would die untill the bowl filled up. Hope this helps.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

i also have a lt80 i have been taking it apart and putting it back together for years, here is my sugestions first take off the carb its a litlle hard to get to so you need to take off the airbox inlet tube then if you dont have a long enough screw driver take off the suports for the fenders it gives you a litle more room. ok now that you have that off look where it boled up there should be 4 screws or bolts take these off and pull out the reed box if there is somthing in there clean it out even a blade of grass can make it run weird. if that was the case repace the air filter 2. ok if that didnet fix it take the 4 phips scres out for the floatbowl. take a small pair of neadle nose plyers and take the rod out for the float, next take the jets out there is 2 hold the biger one up to the light if you can see trough it your good, if not go to the nearest whelding suply place and get a tool for cleaning the heads of torches i think there like 3 bucks, start out with the smallest one and work it up to the bigest that will fit freeley but dont make it bigger, ok now that thats all done take some carb clean and put the straw on squirt it trough all the little passage ways in the intake part of the carb there should be 2 or 3 , and squirt trough the oil injector also. after this put it all back together and turn the petcock to prime let it sit there for about 30 seconds then put it to on and see what happens

Old 05-15-2006, 01:29 AM
"One Wheel Short"
slow day around the orafice I see!

Originally posted by: knauf
Hi. I had a problem like the one you are talking about. The quad would start and run for a while than die. A few minutes later it would start back up and run for a few minutes and than the same thing would happen. I took apart the carb and found that a chunk of gunk was blocking the needle and seat, but it was letting just enough fuel past it so it would fill up the float bowl and restart but when the bowl emptied it would die untill the bowl filled up. Hope this helps.
yup, been there done that with my 97'

Old 05-15-2006, 03:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys, hopefully I will get to it this week. It has def. been one of those days, that turned into the whole week last week. Hopefully that will be the problem

Darren

Old 05-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Carb cleaning folks. Most don't know that the dirt comes from the vent hose. a UNI filter #up-101 can be used.
I never needed to get the tip cleaners. A simple blow thru (by compressed air or by mouth)usually gets the gunk out. If not then a small wire or the tip cleaners will work great. Remove both jets!

I wouldn't bother checking the reed unless the carb cleaning don't work. They do crack on occasion but I've never seen anything get in them.

A Snap-On or Mac 8mm end wrench sure makes the carb bolts easy. A scrapsman wrench is way to thick to fit. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
And a small phillips works.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

mr lt 80 isright 9 times ut 9f 10 nothing in the reeds but i leave mine sit for a cuple of months at a time and thoes damn mice make a nest in the air filter all the time so its good for a last resort

Old 05-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Which vent hose are you talking about? Thanks

Old 05-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Right side, front hole. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]