Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

lt80 mx help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt80 mx help please

hello all, i must say that this place is wonderful. i have been reading til my eyeballs hurt about lt80s. this is my problem, my daughter is mx racing a 2000 lt80 and she loves this bike almost as much as her dear sweet daddy. the problem is that we are racing in a 90cc class and we are way under powered. the machine is mostly stock with a fmf fatty pipe {got from a suzuki dealer who said this was the best} and two of the rollers removed. we have the works shocks and are extended 10 inches over stock so it handles like a dream. it seems that taking .030 off of the head is a good place to start looking for more power but is that gonna give her enough to compete with other modified 90s or do i need more. it would seem that mr lt80 is ( the man) when it comes to these machines and i would welcome any help that he has to offer. thanks to all.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

My son races an LT that just spanks most of the 90's we run against in the "Unlimited Mini class". We run against bikes as much 107 & 117cc, and still occasionally beat them, if not are riding their coat tails. Tha only LT out there, & the one turnin the most heads. People that know this sport just don't expect to see an LT out there competing with all those 90's. Though our road has been long & expensive, we finally seem to have the right recipe. We have to credit John at "Rockytopmotorsports" for most of our success. John knows these LT's and how to make them go fast. Feel free to email me for additional details.
Though the LT is somewhat obsolete in the racing scene, don't think for one minute they can't go fast -- real fast. And paired up with a kid that can handle that kind of power in a bike with horrible suspension, makes for some proud moments at the track.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I love our two LT80's, but I'm about frustrated with 'em. Although I'm sure it's me that is the problem[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
You wouldn't believe the meltdown of the front clutch on one of mine this weekend, never seen anything like it.

If you want to compete, put some money into it, just a pipe and shave head won't do it.
The 90's today are getting pretty fast.
There are many options out there, as AH120 has some good info it sounds like.
LT80 will also be able to help ya, he does some good motor work.

I'm thinking of buying a new LT80 frame off e-bay and starting over.
Putting all the exterior stuff together, then doing up a motor.
Gonna start with ATV Racing A-arms and works shocks.
Extended rear axle.
then ?????????

Good Luck to ya

Old 05-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

my son races an LT80. Try leaning it out. adjust the needle in the carb!

Old 05-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Your LT80 can and will compete with the other machines. Altho, the head deal is a beginner mod and it sounds like you need the full meal deal! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I can produce 12krpm's and 14+hp. (6500 and 5hp is stock).
Slap that dealer that recommended the FMF pipe please. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

If your not looking to do the motor thing, then yes, shave the head and remove 2 rollers. The FMF grunts to the moon so a drastic jump in front sprocket teeth will be the answer there.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

i know what you mean about being the only lt80 out there ah120. my daughter has the only one that i have seen at the tracks we have been to. it is one of the coolest looking machines out there though. i don't know how to e-mail you but would like to have any info you can give. thanks

Old 05-23-2006, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes mr. lt80 the dealer does need a good old fashioned slap. that fmf pipe did help a very little on the bottom end but did nothing for it on the top. i would like to chat with you about the motor work of which you spoke. i do have one question to ask though. will this motor still be able to go out on the trails sometime or will it be a full blown race only motor after the work? thanks to everyone who replyed and good luck with the new from scratch quad quad4fun.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer

Feel free to email me for additional info...... "ABCDHYATT@verizon.net"

Old 05-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

My motors are equally as happy on the trail,at the dunes, and at the track. Just more fun. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

So tell me AH120, how many rpm's you turn and what HP ya making?

Old 05-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Trailblazer

LT80 - I spoke to you once on the phone bout a year ago, was thinkin about havin you build mine. I opted not to use you but instead sent it to one of the "Big name places" up there in your neck of the woods. Thats where I made my mistake! I was a newbie to the whole miniquad performance thing at the time, and just felt more comfortable with the "Big name place". Now that I have been more involved in the industry, I have learned that you definitely build some screamers. I have since put a lot of time & money into doing/redoing what the "Big name place" failed to do or screwed up. Though I did not use your services originally, I would not hesitate to have you build my engine now. I stumbled into John Urbas with RTM who like yourself really knows these LT's. He has done VERY WELL by me.

Not sure exactly where I'm at with rpm & HP, but I went from being the underdog bike at our local MX track, to second overall in the last series, and first in points so far in this series.

Quick Reply: lt80 mx help please